What movie are you watching?

Forge

Posted (edited)

The Watchers was one of the worst movies I've ever seen thank God I streamed it and didn't waste my money on it. I'm either a 1/5 stars on this or a 1.5/5 stars on this either way not good at all.

Edited by thebestever6

I finally got around to watching Oppenheimer a while ago, and i honestly didn't really care for it much.  It had a few good moments and a few kind of funny bits, but i really didn't enjoy the way it was put together tbh.  It felt either way longer than it needed to be, or way shorter.  Above all else though, i hated the timeline hopping.  It just felt like a completely needlessly obtuse way of presenting that story.  Disjointed even.

It didn't feel to me like it served any real purpose to present it in such shuffled non-chronological order.  The links drawn between the different timelines felt tenuous for the most part, and occasionally almost random or arbitrary.  Which kind of removes the main justification for that sort of non-chronological formatting.

But i'm not really a big Christopher Nolan guy in general i guess.  I think Dunkirk is probably the only one of his movies that i've really truly loved.  Too often, i feel like he just overcomplicates things in some way or another.  To where the directorial choices and formatting starts to get in the way of, or overshadow the actual story.

Like, for me...really great "directing" is when a film just tells the story effortlessly and immerses you completely in the plot.  With Nolan films...i often feel like i'm just constantly being reminded that, "this is a movie directed by a director", which kind of takes me out of the moment.  I don't really love that.  It feels...dare i say, a little bit self-indulgent to me?

Ultimately it's just a different way of looking at movies and directing i guess.  I can see why he gets so much attention and collects so many accolades.  It's just not really for me i suppose.

I went in thinking Matt Damon was going to be a blight on the movie, shoehorned in because he's a "big name".  But i came out thinking...jeeez...his performance might have been my favorite part of the whole film.  😆

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Amazing film, the dynamic between Sgt Elias and Sgt. Barnes is electric, a ton of very powerful scenes.  All time great War film and is probably top 5 War film all time.

Good to watch a movie about history and one that has meaning with an impactful story. 

Edited by Ozzy

Miller's Crossing, it was better the second time.  Well acted and directed.  There is one part that makes no sense to me, but it's a major spoiler so I won't say it(even though it's 30+ years old) 8/10

Madame Web the worst movie this year and I recently watched Dracula 2000.  Poor acting(did anyone even want to be in this?)  Very weak villain, even his motivation was weak.  The 3 teenage girls were there, but none stood out.  No character arc or even personality.  This movie gets my rare negative infinity/10.  Avoid this movie if you haven't seen it!!!

• Like 1

I saw phantasm  and phantasm 2 yesterday I don't think I'm gonna watch the 3rd. The first I don't think aged well wasn't really scary to me. The second was better but just wasn't groundbreaking or iconic to me.

Best comedy in the last 10 years, what Daddy's Home?  It is a pretty sad list overall, the blurring of the line is also an issue where a lot of comedy lines are now in action films or Super Hero comic movies like "Deadpool"....

Honestly Barbie is easily one of the best comedies in the last 10 years, Ken is hilarious throughout.  The premise has good lessons and meaning but also a ton of funny parts in the film.  So as odd as it is, that is totally a top flight comedy for today.

In terms of elite all time great comedies, current day is pretty lacking.  One could argue The Green Book is in the top 5 comedies in the last 10 years and not sure that movie is even a comedy honestly....

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Best comedy in the last 10 years, what Daddy's Home?  It is a pretty sad list overall

lol hell no.  

Palm Springs was fantastic.  Pop Star was great too. What We Do In The Shadows was hilarious. 

• Like 1

Just watched When Evil Lurks and The Dark and The Wicked, on Shudder.  Both are supernatural films about a family trying to save themselves from a curse

WEL highly recommend.  I would give it 7 1/2 stars out of 10.  TDW not so much.  It's in the same vein as Evil Lurks but it's execution is lacking.

Edited by BeaReylo

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

lol hell no.  

Palm Springs was fantastic.  Pop Star was great too. What We Do In The Shadows was hilarious. 

You clearly really love Andy Samberg.  I have never seen either one, but honestly most comedies now a days are so damn obscure and unknown really.  Few are known by the masses and are just little things here or there, when 20 years ago the big comedies everyone saw them and they were replayed on TV constantly.  What We Do in The Shadows was good, not sure I would call it hilarious though, and it is not one of my all time favorites.

Funny is one thing, classically funny and iconic for all time is another.  A lot of sit coms on TV are funny, The Simpsons are consistently funny but for a movie to be original in story and funny now is pretty rare.  

Just looking back in the last ten years, again yeah not many really funny movies made honestly.  

Who are the funniest actors currently?  I would say Melissa McCarthy can bring it consistently and is damn good in a lot of movies.  Will Ferrell is a standard and is funny in a ton of stuff, Kevin Hart but he is not in movies as much anymore, Jonah Hill is very good in comedies but in terms of new guys not many and tons of former SNL cast members have made it big in movies, Kate McKinnon, Bill Hader, Adam Sandler, Jason Sudeikis, Leslie Jones and Samberg.  I would say Samberg is my least favorite of those SNL cast listed but that is just me.  Honestly if it was not for former SNL cast Hollywood would be struggling for new acting talent.  

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Best comedy in the last 10 years, what Daddy's Home?  It is a pretty sad list overall, the blurring of the line is also an issue where a lot of comedy lines are now in action films or Super Hero comic movies like "Deadpool"....

Honestly Barbie is easily one of the best comedies in the last 10 years, Ken is hilarious throughout.  The premise has good lessons and meaning but also a ton of funny parts in the film.  So as odd as it is, that is totally a top flight comedy for today.

In terms of elite all time great comedies, current day is pretty lacking.  One could argue The Green Book is in the top 5 comedies in the last 10 years and not sure that movie is even a comedy honestly....

What we do in the shadows is hilarious, as @thrILL!mentioned. 

Also, I'm an unabashed Game Night lover. 

Obviously more action comedy, but the nice guys is great and comes in just under a decade

Booksmart is also great. 

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You clearly really love Andy Samberg. 

If I did, I would’ve mentioned more than 2 of his films lol.  Tbh it was Popstar that won me over. I never cared for his shorts on SNL so I didn't really check for him. I like the first few seasons of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. The HBO movie with him and Jon Snow about tennis on HBO was funny (I forget the name). 

If you have Hulu, check out Palm Springs.  It’s the best timeloop comedy since Groundhog Day. The wedding reception scene near the beginning of the movie is perfection. Cristin Milioti and JK Simmons are really funny in it too. 

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 2

On 6/9/2024 at 7:39 PM, Bowler1215 said:

Miller's Crossing, it was better the second time.  Well acted and directed.  There is one part that makes no sense to me, but it's a major spoiler so I won't say it(even though it's 30+ years old) 8/10

Hide it in spoiler tags. I love that movie. Just recently watched it