What are the Chiefs getting for Alex Smith?

Forge

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Just checked - seems like spotrac and over the cap have about a ten million difference in the estimated cap for next year. That could certainly be a huge factor in deciding what the Chiefs do. 

Sportrac actually has the cap space going down next year, which...isn't going to happen. Over the cap's is probably closer. We'll have a small amount of space as is, and would hit about $10M I believe from cutting Tamba. We'd have a few other potential moves in case we want to bring back Bennie Logan, but every other free agent we'd have next year is quite cheap. We could keep Smith next year, in terms of cap. We'd just be tight.

6 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Sportrac actually has the cap space going down next year, which...isn't going to happen. Over the cap's is probably closer. We'll have a small amount of space as is, and would hit about $10M I believe from cutting Tamba. We'd have a few other potential moves in case we want to bring back Bennie Logan, but every other free agent we'd have next year is quite cheap. We could keep Smith next year, in terms of cap. We'd just be tight.

Yeah, it's not nearly as dire as I had thought money wise if Over the cap is more accurate typically. I was basing most of this on spotrac's information. 

22 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Who is going to give a high second for 34 year old Alex Smith without Andy Reid's help?

The thing is, there are a lot of teams/front office/coaches out there who at least think they're just as good as Andy Reid, and thus will expect that they can get that same calibre of play out of him.  Not to mention, a lot of teams that think they have the weapons and protection that the Chiefs have surrounded Smith with...but actually don't.

Not even 100% sure they move him. Always figured Mahomes was raw.

That said, I’m sure some team would be willing to make a move for him. He’d have to go to a close-to ideal situation IMO. The Chiefs right now have a solid OL, game breaking running back, strong defense, big play threat WR, top 4 TE, and okay depth. Not hard to see why a rich man’s game manager is thriving. 

18 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Surprised that Alex has been sacked 16 times already this year. Chiefs line or more so his fault?

A little of both.

Chiefs line has been taken out with injuries, LG still recovering from an ACL tear from last year. Center out with ankle sprain. RG with a MCL sprain. LT has been dealing with back issues, didn't practice leading up to the Redskins game. We've got guys named Jordan Devey and Zach Fulton starting on our interior.

Our only healthy starting OL, Mitchell Schwartz, hasn't been playing well. He's been getting beat quickly.

But, also Smiths pocket presence isn't great. He'll always eat a sack over a risky throw too. It's why he's got 100% pass efficiency against the blitz. 

33 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

A little of both.

Chiefs line has been taken out with injuries, LG still recovering from an ACL tear from last year. Center out with ankle sprain. RG with a MCL sprain. LT has been dealing with back issues, didn't practice leading up to the Redskins game. We've got guys named Jordan Devey and Zach Fulton starting on our interior.

Our only healthy starting OL, Mitchell Schwartz, hasn't been playing well. He's been getting beat quickly.

But, also Smiths pocket presence isn't great. He'll always eat a sack over a risky throw too. It's why he's got 100% pass efficiency against the blitz. 

Oh Jordan Devey. Yeah that ain't good.

25 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Oh Jordan Devey. Yeah that ain't good.

Yeah he actually wasn't to bad the 2nd half Redskins game, but yeah not great times right now.

If anymore OL get hurt we might even get a Cam Erving appearance.

I don't think the Chiefs were ever in a rush to trade him. It was just that his contract was nearing its' end, and they'd seen all they needed from him to know he is never going to be anything more than a solid NFL starter. They also probably wanted a bigger arm to utilize the skill players' better. Considering they took a QB high in the draft, it was no surprise that this would likely be his last season, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

I would say the best play of his career counts as an unforeseen circumstance. Season is still young, but if the Chiefs get a 1st round bye and Smith continues his play (obviously his completion % is bound to drop and a few INTs will occur), then I'd imagine they'll make sure to keep him another year.

On 10/4/2017 at 6:07 PM, Jakuvious said:

Sportrac actually has the cap space going down next year, which...isn't going to happen.

Why not?  Ratings are down, there's at least one team that has a significant attendance problem or at least seems to be in Los Angeles.  If league revenue decreases, maybe cap space will go down. 

I know before the season, I had this discussion with Chiefs' fan that felt that a 2nd+ was his value and quite frankly I scoffed at that idea.  For a QB whose made a really good career out of not losing games, I find the notion of trading a 2nd round pick plus potentially more for Alex Smith to be crazy especially given he'll only have one year left on his contract.  But he's playing out of his mind this year, and while it probably won't last it still affects his trade value.  Maybe a late Day 2 pick is the highest I could see a team willing to do, if a team like Jacksonville who thinks that most of their issues stem from their QB play.  Maybe a team is willing to deal their 2nd round pick, but needs to receive a Day 3 pick in return.  Maybe something like Alex Smith+5th round pick for a team's 2nd round pick?

14 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

I think a mid-late second is likely his top ball park value.  Possibly adding in other mid/late picks.  

I'm not sure he's actually played all that differently/better this year.  I think they just are better around him and Hunt has been amazing.

I would agree that he's not played much differently overall, but I do think that he has played better; this year thus far has been like the best version of his style of play. 

Archived