BDL Week 3 - Williamsport Soul Reavers @ Oklahoma City EF5s

Ragnarok

Who wins?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Williamsport Soul Reavers
    • Oklahoma City EF5s

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/2020 at 05:00 AM

BDL 2020 Week 3

Match: Williamsport Soul Reavers @ Oklahoma City EF5s

Away Owner: @wwhickok

Home Owner: @Blue

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Williamsport Soul Reavers

Game Day Roster:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
RB: Derrick Henry
TE: Dallas Goedert
WR: Calvin Ridley
WR: Allen Lazard
WR: Julian Edleman
LT: Dion Dawkins
LG Quniton Spain
C : JC Tretter
RG: Cody Ford
RT: DJ Humphries 

Bench:
Rb: Frank Gore
RB: Tarik Cohen
FB: Derek Watt
TE: Vance McDonald 
WR: Miles Boykin
WR: Olabisi Johnson
OC: Mitch Morse
OT: Chuks Okorafor

DEFENSE:

LDE: Leonard Williams
NT: DJ Reader
RDE: Jordan Phillips
LOLB: Brian Burns
ILB: Devin Bush
ILB: Kwon Alexander
ROLB: Shaq Barrett
CB: Carlton Davis
CB: Donte Jackson
FS: Quandre Diggs
SS: Adrian Phillips 

Bench: 
DE Quinton Jefferson
DE: Charles Omenihu
DT: Jonathan Hankins
CB: Mike Hilton
CB: Cam Sutton
CB: Trayvon Mullen
S: Terrell Edmunds
S: Erik Harris

OFFENSE

So far this season I have primarily run a run heavy offense and a lot of 2 TE sets. I anticipate my opponent will plan on me doing this again.

This week I plan to utlize my teams best offensive asset, Ben Roethlisberger. I will run a lot of 3WR, 1 TE, 1 RB sets, and a lot of empty sets (4 and 5 WR) to spread out the very thin secondary that OKC has. With Malik Hooker going down the safety depth over there is non existent. They have a pair of quality starting CBs in Tre White and Darius Slay and a couple 3rd CB in Mike Davis but Byron Jones will not be available this week. Thwy also a solid but thin-depthed front 4 but by spreading them out with WRs, I should be able to attack the weakness of depth in the secondary. I will use Goerdert in 5 WR sets spreading him out wide as the fifth WR, joining Ridley, Lazard, Edleman, and Boykin (in that order). 

There will be some 2TE sets to run heavy out of to attempt to wear down the defensive line.  I still plan to use long methodical drives, crossing and out routes (obviously not limited to these routes) and I am going to sprinkle in some deep shots with Ridley, and Lazard, in addition but not limited to from the 4 & 5 WRs sets. I plan to make the whole route tree available but use rputes often, as mentioned above, that exemplify the strength of my offensive weapons. Then I am also going to use what could be an X Factor in Dallas Goedert in the red zone, on some crossing middle field routes and the occasional seam route again, this is in addition to his 5 WR role.. I believe in the pass blocking ability of my oline and having a qb that seems to find a way out of tackles certainly won't hurt my chances.

Last but not least I have several active RBs, again I am not abandoning the run but the split will be different this week 55/45 Pass/run. I have 3 RBs capable of catching passes and 2/3 of them are very good power runners where Cohen can run well off the edges. I plan to utilize the run in all of these facets through the flow of the game as a form of ball control and with the goal of wearing down the opposing front seven. To further this, another formation i will use is single back where I can line up a RB (primarily Henry but theyll all get opportunities) to run or go out into the flat or up into an angle route to catch the football.
Some finer details.

We understand that Tre White will likely match-up against Ridley which means Slay or Davis will match up on the other side with Byron Jones out. We feel strongly with either Slay or Davis playing in the slot, we can have success across the middle of the field. We are not going to be afraid to throw at Tre White when we have a legitimate opportunity but we will pick on Slay and Davis who have a tendency to allow receptiona to occur before making a stop.  Furthermore in a 5 WR set OKC is going to be forced to make a decision between putting a LB or a Safety on Dallas Goedert unless they plan to put TPJ on him, which would be, imo, a huge mistake. At either rate we really like this matchup. 

Also I didn't add this into my initial draft but two other things my offense has to consider: Shear Stephens at DT does buffer their Dline depth to some degree. Jordan Fuller also buffers their safety depth some. Of the two players thus far in the season Fuller seems to be the more productive one in terms of tackles. He could potentially be used as a 3rd safety on passing downs so we need to be aware of this when going over the middle but it doesn't ultimately change our gameplan..

DEFENSE:

To this point in the season I have run a heavy blitz defense. In fact against Hungsry I schemed to blitz 57% of the time. That is not going to be the case this week as we are dialing back the blitz. We will also be running more man than zone this week considering that Pat Mahommes will chew through zone coverage. We will have Devin Bush, our most athletic LB spying Mahommes due to that running ability. 

Our DBs will play their side of the field, like last week rather than shadowing receivers.. Hilton will be the NB and in situations where we need 3 coverage safeties on the field, Cam Sutton will play the other safety position. In situations that call for a dimebacker Hilton will fill that role and Sutton will move into Hiltons role as the NB. Our goal this week is to limit the big passing plays. In heavy DB formationa Hilton will provide the spy on Mahomes (more on this later)

In run obvious situations we will come out with our base defense, keeping the spy in tact with Devin Bush. With the lack of depth at RB, we expect the run to be the smaller percentage of their offensive attack. We expect them to try to spread us out so we have a lot of active DBs this week to prefer for coverage. In the event we have all DBs and no LBs on the field Hilton will take over the spy on Mahommes. We will still show their TEs and RBs the appropriate respect but ultimately its going to have to be the QB and WRs that best us in this game. 

For purposes of blitz I will have some LB plentiful plays in there where Burns, Barrett, and Alexander can blitz, but who is blitzing specifically will change up so as to not be predictable in these situations. We are expecting to use a Blitz just 32% of the tike as we also feel confident in our defensive line to create some pressure. More importantly as already stated we are going against a QB and WR Corps that requires more coverage. 

Our Man/Zone usage will be about 65/35 this week due to Mahommes at QB. 

Potential Adjustments: if we get to point in thia game where we find them using more RPOs and Rushing more than initially anticipated we will run more Nickel and less Dime to keep an extra LB on the field while still maintaining a respectable coverage base. (Alexander would be the other LB to take the field).

If we find ourselves pulling ahead on the scoreboard we will increase the run percentage to chew the clock with Derrick Henry. (This would be our goal).

A couple of Post-Writeup Additions Defensively:   Likewise with our defense and the addition of Latavius Murray who improves their RB depth and passing ability to RBs out of the backfield. This is an element we need to be aware of, but will not ultimately change our overall gameplan.
Also one thing we didn't account for that we need to is the possibility of Woods running the ball out of the backfield. We don't feel we need to make major adjustments as a CB will have the responsibility of covering him Anyway so the reaction of the defense should be a strength not a weakness, but its still something we feel is worth mentioning.

Oklahoma City EF5s

QB Patrick Mahomes

RB Joe Mixon

WR1 Allen Robinson

WR2/Slot Robert Woods

WR3 Brandin Cooks

TE Dalton Schultz

LT David Bakhtiari

LG James Daniels

C Rodney Hudson

RG Kevin Zeitler

RT Morgan Moses

RB2 Latavius Murray

WR4 Golden Tate

WR5 Randall Cobb

OL6 Brian O’Neill

OL7 Jesse Davis

OL8 John Miller

LE Stephon Tuitt

DT Sheldon Richardson

DT Akiem Hicks

RE Derek Barnett

LB Anthony Hitchens

LB Jarrad Davis

CB Darius Slay

CB Michael Davis

Slot Tre’Davious White

FS Adrian Amos

SS Jordan Poyer

DE3 Rasheem Green

DE4 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo

DT3 Shamar Stephen

LB3 Anfernee Jennings

CB4 Troy Pride

S3 Jordan Fuller

Offense (35/65 run/pass)

-          Williamsport is relying on young linebackers and a poor secondary, so we will be attacking the defense through the air early and often. Cooks is our primary deep threat, while Woods will work the middle of the field and the seam.

-          Mixon and Murray will primarily get run plays to the inside and outside shoulders of the offensive tackles, where undersized Shaq Barrett and Brian Burns are liabilities in run defense.

-          We’re bringing in O’Neill and Davis as extra blockers in short yardage on runs to the outside as well, again to take advantage of a lack of size on the edge and at the second level on the Williamsport defense.

Defense

-          We aren’t worried about Roethlisberger beating us with his arm, so we will be stacking the box with Poyer until they prove they can beat us deep. Forcing the offense into 3rd and long situations is the key, and that starts with shutting down the run early to prevent them from controlling the clock.

-          White will lock down Edelman in the slot, leaving Slay and Davis to take the outside. With Poyer in the box, it should be harder for Williamsport to target the tight ends across the middle as well.

-          Rasheem Green and Shamar Stephen will spell all across the defensive line, while Okoronkwo will help at end on passing downs. Tuitt is getting the start at end again, but we don’t want him playing more than 65% of the snaps so that he’ll be fresh when he’s in the game.

I like the idea of attacking them through the air this week as Blue just like... pfft... he is no threat to throw...I think Ridley absolutely balls out here with only one deep and potentially against Davis in some parts of the game. 

• Like 1

No one playing the other 35% I guess at end? Ridley and Lazard make some plays on the outside even if White and Poyer bottle up the inside. Henry has a tough matchup against Hicks and Richardson inside. However the WSR plan to spread out OKC with no answer for it from OKC gives me the unprepared vibe from the tornado team. 

• Like 1