Proposal - Sunday College Football on ESPN2

pf9

OK, usually, the only real football action on Sundays is the NFL. That's all fine and dandy if your team is good, but if you live in an area where your team is bad consistently and are not a fan of said team, you would desire something better.

It all came to a head in 2017, where the Browns finished 0-16, yet because of rules, Cleveland area residents were limited on what other Sunday afternoon action they could see without Sunday Ticket.

Thus, I've proposed that starting next year, during the times when the NFL and CFB regular seasons overlap, ESPN2 flexes the three best games each week from conferences ESPN has the rights to to Sunday, airing at 12, 4 and 8 PM. ESPN can't do it because of other programming commitments.

After bowl season starts, ESPN2 would likewise air bowl tripleheaders on some Sundays. In years where New Year's Day falls on a Sunday, the practice of moving the major bowl games to January 2 would be abandoned, so that people living in the same markets as a NFL team doing bad that year can watch better football on New Year's Day.

There has been CFB on Sunday nights in competition with the NFL before, mainly from 2006-09 when ESPN aired CFB on some Sunday nights to replace the NFL package they lost to NBC.

And, CFB regularly competes with the NFL on Thursday nights, often one CFB game scheduled that night has teams doing better than the NFL teams involved in their Thursday night game.

I put "Don't Pick on the Grieving" as my user title for a reason.

My dad passed away earlier this year. January to be exact.

And I still have not gotten over it.

So, if you want to pick on someone, pick someone is who is not grieving.

I already put in some good reasons why this should happen. People in markets with bad teams deserve some quality football played on Sunday. If in 2017 an OSU game was moved to Sunday opposite a Browns game, I gladly would have watched the OSU game, and many others in Cleveland would have too. In the years after NFL lifted the blackout rules (seemingly permanently), there has been a huge increase in games that failed to have full stadiums on account of the team playing at home was bad that year. And there are numerous people in the Cleveland area who are Steelers fans instead, but they don't get to watch much of that team unless they have Sunday Ticket. And even that is exclusive to DirecTV at the moment (but hopefully not for much longer, especially if DirecTV owner AT&T competitor Comcast, owner of NFL broadcaster NBC, has their way).

First, let me say that I’m sorry about your dad. I’ve experienced it too and it sucks. Hang in there.

I will also say that this isn’t a hall pass for avoiding criticism. People aren’t just going to pretend to agree with you. And I’m not sure why you would want that, this is a debate forum. 

• Like 1