Lazard has surgery

beardown3231

I guess the "we should have drafted a WR!!!" crowd had a lot of pent up frustration after watching this group excel in weeks 1-3.  So much so that they don't seem to realize that their position has already been invalidated.  When it takes injuries to the current WR1 and WR2 to cause a serious problem at the position, the WR group as a whole is fine.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I guess the "we should have drafted a WR!!!" crowd had a lot of pent up frustration after watching this group excel in weeks 1-3.  So much so that they don't seem to realize that their position has already been invalidated.  When it takes injuries to the current WR1 and WR2 to cause a serious problem at the position, the WR group as a whole is fine.

We're supposed to have a pretty good O-line, so I suspect this may be a good week to get a lot of use from the two incumbents (backs) and the rookie back...Set up some screen passes with Jones and Williams, and let the rookie pound the ball hard....

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan

11 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Keeping in mind we traded up to take Love,

Tee Higgins - 8 receptions, 75 yards,  2 touchdowns.
Michael Pittman Jr - 9 receptions, 75 yards.
Laviska Shenault - 11 receptions, 105 yards, 1 TD.
MVS - 8 receptions, 165 yards, 1 TD.
Lazard - 13 receptions, 254 yards, 2 TD.

It only gets worse after that. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2020&year_max=2020&season_start=1&season_end=1&pos[]=wr&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2020&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any&draft_pos[]=qb&draft_pos[]=rb&draft_pos[]=wr&draft_pos[]=te&draft_pos[]=e&draft_pos[]=t&draft_pos[]=g&draft_pos[]=c&draft_pos[]=ol&draft_pos[]=dt&draft_pos[]=de&draft_pos[]=dl&draft_pos[]=ilb&draft_pos[]=olb&draft_pos[]=lb&draft_pos[]=cb&draft_pos[]=s&draft_pos[]=db&draft_pos[]=k&draft_pos[]=p&c5val=1.0&order_by=rec

The only receivers this year that are looking truly pro ready and ready to take over games have been Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson.  Arguably, Jeudy is just being forced the ball.  He's had 28 targets, only 15 catches.  Granted, bad quarterbacks, but still.  That's kinda the reason I hate receivers.  What good is a great receiver if you've got a **** QB?

The fat is the Packers missed a receiver.  Nobody takes this into account when saying, "I don't know why they didn't take a receiver."

Well, who? 

Tee Higgins went 7 picks after we picked.  So 7 other teams didn't think he was worth taking there.
Michael Pittman went 8 picks after we picked.
Shenault went 16 picks after.

Then you look at the 2nd round. 

Could we have traded up for Denzel Mims?  Van Jefferson?  Sure, if a team wanted to trade up with us.  We've literally hinted that we tried to do just this.  Didn't work.

Even still, Mims has been injured, Van Jefferson has 5 catches.

There were 18 non-receivers drafted from the time we drafted Dillon to the time the next WR went off the board.

Meaning, there weren't any receivers worth taking 62nd overall.

You can't just say the Packers need to take a WR in a draft concept draft.  That's how this works.  You go into it with that mentality and you're ****ed. 

I'm so sick of hearing about how the Packers should have drafted a WR for the following reasons:

1. Injuries happen.  When Rodgers got hurt in 2017 and in 2013 y'all were saying the Packers should have drafted a better backup.  You're dumber than hell to blame the Packers for not knowing who was going to get injured.

2.  Lazard and MVS are right there with all the rookies in terms of yardage.  Their connection with Rodgers over two full seasons on the roster (or one with Lazard, can't remember) has them ahead of anywhere a rookie could possibly be with Rodgers.

3. The draft is a thing where other teams also want players.  We missed.  Simple as that.  We probably would have gone WR if Aiyuk was available in 1. 

Truth is we needed to grab one. OR we needed to grab one in FA, which we also didn't do. And even if Funchess would have played this year, I don't think he would have been the answer. I think he is too much like Lazard. Truth be told I gripe about not grabbing a receiver but I also have to give credit for getting Lazard in the first place and I think we all could see a small glimpse last year already that he has a chance to be a descent NFL player. As mad as I was about the non selection of a receiver I'm just as disappointed in not grabbing a down defensive linemen. I think AJ Dillon is going to be a fine player, but I didn't understand that pick then and still don't understand it. I don't think the Packers figured the run on receivers would continue into the 2nd round. I think the pick of Dillon was a panic pick. We simply didn't need that position at this point and time. 

51 minutes ago, Skippy said:

OR we needed to grab one in FA, which we also didn't do. And even if Funchess would have played this year, I don't think he would have been the answer

Ummmmm

Did you not understand the process that brought Devin Funchess to GB

• Like 1

15 hours ago, squire12 said:

Ummmmm

Did you not understand the process that brought Devin Funchess to GB

There was no process in bringing him to GB because he still isn't in GB. Moving forward does anybody have someone that would be a good trade for at the trade deadline? Chris Hogan NY Jets 31, contract up after the season,  for a late round pick?

On 10/3/2020 at 2:42 AM, Skippy said:

Truth is we needed to grab one. OR we needed to grab one in FA, which we also didn't do. And even if Funchess would have played this year, I don't think he would have been the answer. I think he is too much like Lazard. Truth be told I gripe about not grabbing a receiver but I also have to give credit for getting Lazard in the first place and I think we all could see a small glimpse last year already that he has a chance to be a descent NFL player. As mad as I was about the non selection of a receiver I'm just as disappointed in not grabbing a down defensive linemen. I think AJ Dillon is going to be a fine player, but I didn't understand that pick then and still don't understand it. I don't think the Packers figured the run on receivers would continue into the 2nd round. I think the pick of Dillon was a panic pick. We simply didn't need that position at this point and time. 

I don't think the Dillon pick was a panic pick, it seems to fit the strategy.

Adams' injuries are becoming a concern though. Starting to enter Bulaga territory in that he is an incredibly valuable player, essential to the team but starting to look injury prone which is likely to get worse into a 3rd contract. Throwing huge money into him for a 3rd contract starting to look very dangerous.

Unless MVS breaks out seriously, we do need to start using proper picks at the position. The board just didn't work out this year. The Love pick can't be judged for about 4 years. I hate it but it is what it is.

I'm all for sending Dallas a second round pick for Michael Gallup today.

I think he's their best receiver, under his rookie contract for this year and next year, and with that Cooper deal and Lamb on the roster, he may be a guy that they can't afford to re-sign.

And I've always been a fan of Gallup.  

Just now, vegas492 said:

I think he's their best receiver, under his rookie contract for this year and next year, and with that Cooper deal and Lamb on the roster, he may be a guy that they can't afford to re-sign.

How about Josh Jackson + 2021 4th for Gallup?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

How about Josh Jackson + 2021 4th for Gallup?

I actually like Jackson and feel like he's gonna be a player at some point and time.

But yah, I'd offer that.

Doubt they would do it, because Gallup is a legitimate #2 right now, with the ceiling to be better.

Add to it Mac's offense and loving 3 WR...and it doesn't look good.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I actually like Jackson and feel like he's gonna be a player at some point and time.

Tonight could be the night.  Jaire was still listed as Questionable last time I checked.  Tonight could really test our depth at a number of positions.

On 10/5/2020 at 9:23 AM, vegas492 said:

Yes please, but seriously if Dallas lose a few more games without a win, I could see Amari Cooper on the blocks. Maybe we can negotiate a deal with Dallas that they take on a descent amount of his remaining contract for the year, give up a mid round pick. He's a FA after the season. I'd give up a 2nd for Michael Gallup this very minute if that was a deal actually being discussed. I don't see McCarthy helping the Packer's organization any time soon though. 

43 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Yes please, but seriously if Dallas lose a few more games without a win, I could see Amari Cooper on the blocks. Maybe we can negotiate a deal with Dallas that they take on a descent amount of his remaining contract for the year, give up a mid round pick. He's a FA after the season. I'd give up a 2nd for Michael Gallup this very minute if that was a deal actually being discussed. I don't see McCarthy helping the Packer's organization any time soon though. 

Gallup is under the rookie contract for this year and next year.  

Cooper is under contract until 2024.  There is an "out" after 2021, though.

Amari won't be on the blocks, but even if he were, no  thank you.   But Gallup would be a perfect compliment to Adams.

On 10/5/2020 at 10:29 AM, vegas492 said:

But yah, I'd offer that.

Doubt they would do it, because Gallup is a legitimate #2 right now, with the ceiling to be better.

Add to it Mac's offense and loving 3 WR...and it doesn't look good.

You forgot the most important part of that trade

Josh Jackson sucks and hasn't shown much to say that he isn't going to continue to suck

Edited by JBURGE

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

You forgot the most important part of that trade

Josh Jackson sucks and hasn't shown much to say that he isn't going to continue to suck

Would you trade King straight up for Gallup?

Like I don't want to do it.  But if King truly is gone after this season, it's a good trade as you get a good, established WR for the extra year on the cheap.

That's about the only thing I think that would tempt the Cowboys. To be clear, I don't want to do it, don't want to upset the chemistry of the team, but that is the most obvious trade that I can think of.  

Just now, vegas492 said:

Would you trade King straight up for Gallup?

Like I don't want to do it.  But if King truly is gone after this season, it's a good trade as you get a good, established WR for the extra year on the cheap.

That's about the only thing I think that would tempt the Cowboys. To be clear, I don't want to do it, don't want to upset the chemistry of the team, but that is the most obvious trade that I can think of.  

I wouldn't, no, because our offense is averaging like 36 ppg without Gallup. I'd rather have King and it isn't close. That's not a slight on Gallup

• Like 2