2021 NFL Draft Thread

The more I think about our team and the upgrade in coaching / philosophy - the more I want to take BPA either side of the ball. Obvi - Pitts would be just simply fantastic... but I think we are in that 15-20 range. 

Kyle Smith has done a good job drafting players in later rounds. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Troublez said:

The more I think about our team and the upgrade in coaching / philosophy - the more I want to take BPA either side of the ball. Obvi - Pitts would be just simply fantastic... but I think we are in that 15-20 range. 

Kyle Smith has done a good job drafting players in later rounds. 

You have too!! I’ve even talked about the Rousseau falling to a friend and I said if he’s your highest rated player I told my bud a scenario where you take him and trade a Allen or Settle or The Greek and get great value in picks back and you get a younger player for cheap and you maximize the value in return for the player you trade away. So essentially you relieve yourself of a piece on the DL you were about to invest a higher salary into and you get younger with  a even higher talent and keep getting better.

I personally don’t thing there’s no way he falls to the teens but I suggested that scenario because the compensation for the player you trade will be maximized because they are coming off a premier season and you get better and get even more assets to keep getting better with. This is something I can’t recall seeing before but I truely believe in BPA. And I completely agree with you Pitts is that BPA meets need gold mine home run for us. But there’s about 6 names I’m completely elated for if they come here in the first round. There’s so much value throughout that you have to absolutely maximize your top selection.

31 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

You have too!! I’ve even talked about the Rousseau falling to a friend and I said if he’s your highest rated player I told my bud a scenario where you take him and trade a Allen or Settle or The Greek and get great value in picks back and you get a younger player for cheap and you maximize the value in return for the player you trade away. So essentially you relieve yourself of a piece on the DL you were about to invest a higher salary into and you get younger with  a even higher talent and keep getting better.

I personally don’t thing there’s no way he falls to the teens but I suggested that scenario because the compensation for the player you trade will be maximized because they are coming off a premier season and you get better and get even more assets to keep getting better with. This is something I can’t recall seeing before but I truely believe in BPA. And I completely agree with you Pitts is that BPA meets need gold mine home run for us. But there’s about 6 names I’m completely elated for if they come here in the first round. There’s so much value throughout that you have to absolutely maximize your top selection.

I wouldn’t trade one of our proven players to then draft a player who we can’t be certain is going to be a good pro. It makes much more sense to currently hold onto our good DTs & just drafted a different position to actually make your team better rather than possibly weakening your DT position.

The only way I’d trade any of our DTs is if we aren’t sure we can’t re-sign one of them in two years and that would be Payne or Ioannidis.

I mean what are you getting for Allen, Ioannidis or Payne? Probably not a 1st round pick, so it doesn’t seem like a wise trade to me. 

Edited by turtle28

This is just going to be a weekly feature, right up until the time we draft him or someone else takes him off the board before us. The Devonta Smith Experience is live, it’s exhilarating, and it’s coming to an NFL city near you (just hopefully not Philly). 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 10:03 AM, Troublez said:

Have you watched Trask? Honest question..... I could care less what his recruiting status was entering college as these kids  mature a significant amount , from a physical standpoint, coming out of high school. Also, he is a traditional pocket passer - so from a recruiting standpoint, this limits his usage in certain schemes. From a mental standpoint, he is very cerebral.

As far as stats, it is likely entirely to early to evaluate his performance from that standpoint. The sample size is entirely to small. But since you brought it up:

Burrow - 76.3% Completion %, 10.8 yards/attempt, 1000% TD Interception Ratio, 4 passing TD/ game, and 378 passing yards/ game

Trask - 71.8% Completion %, 9.6 yards/attempt, 1000% TD Interception Ratio, 5 passing TD/ game, and 342 passing yards/ game

I love him.....

Adam Sandler GIF

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This is just going to be a weekly feature, right up until the time we draft him or someone else takes him off the board before us. The Devonta Smith Experience is live, it’s exhilarating, and it’s coming to an NFL city near you (just hopefully not Philly). 

I was just coming in here to post this with a similar message. I’d love to get him, I pray we’re in a position to. He’s by far the best WR in college football and I have a hard time putting Ja’Marr Chase over him at this point. I think Smith will move himself into possibility a top 5 pick as we could be looking at La’Marr Chase being available for us around the 10th pick unless we win more than 6 games.

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I was just coming in here to post this with a similar message. I’d love to get him, I pray we’re in a position to. He’s by far the best WR in college football and I have a hard time putting Ja’Marr Chase over him at this point. I think Smith will move himself into possibility a top 5 pick as we could be looking at La’Marr Chase being available for us around the 10th pick unless we win more than 6 games.

The thing about Smith is it seems like everyone is convinced he isn’t going to test very well. I have a hard time imagining that, watching him play — but if he’s 170 pounds running a 4.5, that’s a tough guy to talk yourself into taking top 5-10, no matter how awesome he is. That could give him a shot to drop to us 🙏🏼

The other thing that could help us is if the next tier or two of guys really shows out. I’m convinced that guys like Jeudy and Lamb dropped because teams drafting early figured they could get a better combination of talent by passing on WR in the first, taking another position there, and then coming back to grab one of the 2nd round WR options. If guys like Moore (x2), Bateman, Olave, Wallace, St. Brown, Surratt, Ross, etc. really make a splash and present themselves as exciting secondary WR options, that might cause teams to look at shallower positions like DL and CB in the 1st with the idea of circling back to WR later. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The thing about Smith is it seems like everyone is convinced he isn’t going to test very well. I have a hard time imagining that, watching him play — but if he’s 170 pounds running a 4.5, that’s a tough guy to talk yourself into taking top 5-10, no matter how awesome he is. That could give him a shot to drop to us 🙏🏼

The other thing that could help us is if the next tier or two of guys really shows out. I’m convinced that guys like Jeudy and Lamb dropped because teams drafting early figured they could get a better combination of talent by passing on WR in the first, taking another position there, and then coming back to grab one of the 2nd round WR options. If guys like Moore (x2), Bateman, Olave, Wallace, St. Brown, Surratt, Ross, etc. really make a splash and present themselves as exciting secondary WR options, that might cause teams to look at shallower positions like DL and CB in the 1st with the idea of circling back to WR later. 

Very true, it seems for the moment that mocks have Smith out of the top 10 for the reasons you bring up.

I mean Drafttek & Walterfootball have Jaylen Waddle going higher than D. Smith and if Waddle hadn’t had that ankle injury I’d that’s clearly the case but bc of Waddle’s ankle injury I’m shocked they still have him above D. Smith.

Edited by turtle28

@e16bball Are you watching Maryland’s game wearing the 1980’s unis? All red w/ white pants, red helmets & the white cursive Terps written on the helmet?

I love it! This is UMD’s best look or with the terrapin decal on the helmet. 

So much better than the flag helmets/unis that Under Armor has designed this decade.

Edited by turtle28

48 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

@e16bball Are you watching Maryland’s game wearing the 1980’s unis? All red w/ white pants, red helmets & the white cursive Terps written on the helmet?

I love it! This is UMD’s best look or with the terrapin decal on the helmet. 

So much better than the flag helmets/unis that Under Armor has designed this decade.

I would be watching it if I was at home, but at my girlfriend’s house there’s only streaming options, so no BTN. Wish the Terps had Taulia for this one; I don’t know if you can get bowl eligible with 3 wins, but feels like this would be our year!

I like the classic script helmet a lot, it’s a nice throwback to what they wore when I was growing up. The first Terps team I remember was the group with Scott Milanovich and Geron Simon and of course the great Jermaine Lewis, and then the Lamont Jordan show. I love the flag helmets too, though, so it all works for me. 

It was reported that Dwayne is apparently buying in to the way RR wants things done, showing he has matured. He definitely has arm talent and my hope is that he could be a player that could run this offense. Nowadays when a team drafts a QB they compliment their strengths with an offense they’re comfortable with. Since RR didn’t draft him I guess he wants Dwayne to run ST’s offense or bust. I would rather draft a guy like M Parsons in the first rd and don’t have to worry about drafting another QB. Gun to my head, I’d say RR will move on from Dwayne but I would just like to see him get another shot at QB. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

It was reported that Dwayne is apparently buying in to the way RR wants things done, showing he has matured. He definitely has arm talent and my hope is that he could be a player that could run this offense. Nowadays when a team drafts a QB they compliment their strengths with an offense they’re comfortable with. Since RR didn’t draft him I guess he wants Dwayne to run ST’s offense or bust. I would rather draft a guy like M Parsons in the first rd and don’t have to worry about drafting another QB. Gun to my head, I’d say RR will move on from Dwayne but I would just like to see him get another shot at QB. 

Yeah, I’m not sold that Rivera moves on from Haskins or Kyle Allen for anything but the top 2 QBs. I too agree that it seems Haskins has matured, and Kyle was already someone they really liked a lot as a prospect.

I tend to think they’ll go in another direction than Qb in round 1, and maybe not take a Qb at all in this draft if they get a good report about Kyle Allen’s ankle/leg before/by the draft and his potential to be ready for 2021 training camp.

Kyle Allen & Haskins are both under 25, if they like them both and their potential still, I don’t see the reason to draft another QB.

I think like last year we’ll be drafting other positions and not a QB in this draft as long as Rivera/Kyle/Scott believe in the maturity and development that Haskins has made since October of this year.

18 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I would be watching it if I was at home, but at my girlfriend’s house there’s only streaming options, so no BTN. Wish the Terps had Taulia for this one; I don’t know if you can get bowl eligible with 3 wins, but feels like this would be our year!

I like the classic script helmet a lot, it’s a nice throwback to what they wore when I was growing up. The first Terps team I remember was the group with Scott Milanovich and Geron Simon and of course the great Jermaine Lewis, and then the Lamont Jordan show. I love the flag helmets too, though, so it all works for me. 

Happy College Basketball GIF by Maryland Terrapins

Classic script for me!

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Very true, it seems for the moment that mocks have Smith out of the top 10 for the reasons you bring up.

I mean Drafttek & Walterfootball have Jaylen Waddle going higher than D. Smith and if Waddle hadn’t had that ankle injury I’d that’s clearly the case but bc of Waddle’s ankle injury I’m shocked they still have him above D. Smith.

I like Waddle, but even before he got hurt, I was still much higher on DSmith than I was on him. To me, people are trying too hard to find the next Tyreek Hill with the mega speed to break defenses, and it’s causing them to overlook the actual skills involved in being a good receiver. I think that’s how Henry Ruggs somehow went ahead of Jeudy, Lamb, and Jefferson last year (all of whom I loved), and I think that’s what has contributed to Waddle being higher on some boards than DSmith.

If healthy, he’ll run a super-fast 40 time and probably do some really impressive jumps at a much heavier weight, and people will say “holy smokes, how do you stop this guy on screens and slants and shallow crosses and straight go routes?” and get all fired up again. And I do think he’ll be a very dangerous weapon. But for me, it’s always about the guys who can run all the routes and separate consistently, that have the knack for getting open against either man or zone. 

Honestly, for me it’s a tough call between Chase and Smith for 1/2, and it’s a tough call between Waddle and Bateman for 3/4.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I like Waddle, but even before he got hurt, I was still much higher on DSmith than I was on him. To me, people are trying too hard to find the next Tyreek Hill with the mega speed to break defenses, and it’s causing them to overlook the actual skills involved in being a good receiver. I think that’s how Henry Ruggs somehow went ahead of Jeudy, Lamb, and Jefferson last year (all of whom I loved), and I think that’s what has contributed to Waddle being higher on some boards than DSmith.

If healthy, he’ll run a super-fast 40 time and probably do some really impressive jumps at a much heavier weight, and people will say “holy smokes, how do you stop this guy on screens and slants and shallow crosses and straight go routes?” and get all fired up again. And I do think he’ll be a very dangerous weapon. But for me, it’s always about the guys who can run all the routes and separate consistently, that have the knack for getting open against either man or zone. 

Honestly, for me it’s a tough call between Chase and Smith for 1/2, and it’s a tough call between Waddle and Bateman for 3/4.

high five step brothers GIF