2021 NFL Draft Thread

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

COVID is a different animal than anyone has ever faced in their lifetime, I don’t think the comparison is equal to anything else. A physical injury is different then putting your future on the line and possibly life bc of COVID. Especially when teams are telling you & scouts that you’re going to be a top 10 pick, I mean come on. 

I get it. There was and still is so much uncertainty. But they played. These aren’t the 5th string guys these are franchise altering selections bud!!! Heck we have guys playing right now that just graduated high school. Life is uncertain. Every day is a blessing!!! Trust me I’ve had 10 concussions I still lace up every Sunday with my guys for flag. Is it smart? Idk. Is it wrecklace? Maybe. But I take care of myself and I love playing and honestly if I was to die today I’d be thankful I laced them up yesterday and didn’t let fear overtake my passion. But that’s me. Everyone’s different

This is getting wild that I’m always the arm strength hater of late, when I really don’t sweat the big arms. In the words of my good friend Brigadier General Francis X. Hummel:

44a30634-92ba-4a32-90f5-3a4d69d248fc_tex
You can’t have Mahomesian upside without the single most remarkable Mahomes trait, which is that laser bazooka attached to his right shoulder. All the gunslinging stuff Mahomes does would be for naught if he was bringing a pistol to the gunfight. Being able to throw it 40 or 50 yards on a line off platform is what makes it all work, it removes the limitations that all mortal QBs are restricted by. He has so many incredible traits, but the one at the foundation that makes it all possible is the arm.

I see some Mahomes in the playing style of Wilson too. The creativity and the gambling and the improvisation and all that. But he doesn’t have the arm to do all that at the next level, at least not in the way that Mahomes does it. You could see it on the little 4th and 1 flea flicker they ran against Coastal, he just didn’t quite have the juice to get it there. Yes, it was good coverage, but the mega arm has the ability to get the ball in there despite good coverage. For Mahomes, that’s a 20-yard completion, a first down, and a trip into FG range. For Wilson, it was a deflected pass and a turnover on downs.  

And I have to add, I think Wilson has a “good to very good” arm for a draft prospect. And his creativity in his releases gives him an extra bump because it gets the ball out quicker than the average QB. I think his would be an average to above-average arm for an NFL starter, which seems like faint praise, but it isn’t. It’s just that you can’t ever be Lamar Jackson unless you have super-elite legs, and you can’t ever be Patrick Mahomes unless you have a super-elite arm. It’s the fact that they’re so much better than ordinary QBs in these physical traits that gives them the unlimited ceiling. 

Edited by e16bball

For the record, in watching the replay, I thought Wilson played better against Coastal than I expected him to, based on the stat line and some of the commentary I’d seen. 

I don’t care at all about a pick on a Hail Mary, I thought he made some of his usual nice throws, he ran the ball pretty effectively, and he damn near took them down for the win (though the decision and/or play call for the throw to a guy short of the endzone was a head-scratcher). He had the 90 yard TD wiped out by the (admittedly obvious) holding call and I thought Gunner Romney dropped a 60-yard bomb that was pretty close to a dime, plus the one kid nonsensically running backwards 20 yards didn’t help the final line.

That said, the one thing I wanted to see was a bit of a fail. He did not handle the pass rush pressure very well at all. In fairness, almost no young QBs ever do, but it’s still a big red flag as far as plug-and-playability in the NFL. He took some hits, he was bailing out a little, and he made some pretty bad throws (by his standards). I wanted them to win so he could get to a New Year’s Six Bowl, but at this point, that might be a bit too tough a challenge for their group. Not sure I need to see them tangling with Georgia or Texas A&M after they had trouble with the Chanticleers.

In the end, he’s still my QB3 at this point. And I could see why folks would prefer him to Fields, he’s a bit more accurate to me and he at least gives you the sense that he’s going through some progressions (which Fields often doesn’t). I’d go Fields first because I think his outrageous physical abilities give him the higher ceiling, but I actually prefer Wilson’s playing style. I’m a little tired of all these running QBs that rarely seem to take the next step in development as pure passers. To me, I think Wilson’s best comp is actually Joe Burrow — and it’s just a question of trying to determine how close to the actual Burrow he really is.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, e16bball said:

For the record, in watching the replay, I thought Wilson played better against Coastal than I expected him to, based on the stat line and some of the commentary I’d seen. 

I don’t care at all about a pick on a Hail Mary, I thought he made some of his usual nice throws, he ran the ball pretty effectively, and he damn near took them down for the win (though the decision and/or play call for the throw to a guy short of the endzone was a head-scratcher). He had the 90 yard TD wiped out by the (admittedly obvious) holding call and I thought Gunner Romney dropped a 60-yard bomb that was pretty close to a dime, plus the one kid nonsensically running backwards 20 yards didn’t help the final line.

That said, the one thing I wanted to see was a bit of a fail. He did not handle the pass rush pressure very well at all. In fairness, almost no young QBs ever do, but it’s still a big red flag as far as plug-and-playability in the NFL. He took some hits, he was bailing out a little, and he made some pretty bad throws (by his standards). I wanted them to win so he could get to a New Year’s Six Bowl, but at this point, that might be a bit too tough a challenge for their group. Not sure I need to see them tangling with Georgia or Texas A&M after they had trouble with the Chanticleers.

In the end, he’s still my QB3 at this point. And I could see why folks would prefer him to Fields, he’s a bit more accurate to me and he at least gives you the sense that he’s going through some progressions (which Fields often doesn’t). I’d go Fields first because I think his outrageous physical abilities give him the higher ceiling, but I actually prefer Wilson’s playing style. I’m a little tired of all these running QBs that rarely seem to take the next step in development as pure passers. To me, I think Wilson’s best comp is actually Joe Burrow — and it’s just a question of trying to determine how close to the actual Burrow he really is.

I like that comp. when I brought up Mahomes it was spilt for the knocks on system and his off balance throws I like the Burrow comp a lot. Joe is sneaky athletic as well and can make those crazy throws. Sorry I had to start a Mahomian rant 😂😂😂

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

We didn't move down from 11. But now if we're looking to drop closer to the Top 5, we have to hope quite a few teams below us win some games.

We're also in danger of sliding up to 14-16 range while still missing the playoffs.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

I still think Trey Lance is going to drop. I wouldn’t be shocked if come draft time he tumbles to the second round. The issue is we don’t know what their intentions with Dwayne are? I’d love to pick Lance or Jones but I’m going to guess they take Pitts, a LB or a WR. Maybe someone like Rondale Moore. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I still think Trey Lance is going to drop. I wouldn’t be shocked if come draft time he tumbles to the second round. The issue is we don’t know what their intentions with Dwayne are? I’d love to pick Lance or Jones but I’m going to guess they take Pitts, a LB or a WR. Maybe someone like Rondale Moore. 

Now I’m digging everything you just said!!! Bolton from Mizzu is a monster as is my guy from Tulsa if we’re in the the middle to end of the first. Pitts is I think the premier player for this team outside of drafting the QB who pans out the best. But right now it’s really hard to say who that is because adding Pitts and just really adding some weapons on offense really your talking about putting any QB in a spot to succeed. But if Lance is there in the 2nd or if he falls to the end of the first I think we have to take a chance and trade back in especially if we came away with Pitts with our top pick. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I agree here. At the point we're picking, and with no indication of what they will do with Dwayne, I think they take one of the ones you mentioned (or are looking at similar players). 

Personally, I would be packaging Dwayne up to ship him out if I were the team. 

As for Lance tumbling to the 2nd? I can see it. But I can also see him going in the 20's in the 1st.

• Like 1

If somehow Jamar Chase or Kyle Pitts are available when we pick, I think we absolutely need to go with them. Our offense is not ready to throw in a rookie QB yet. As much as I hate to say this... I think the move is to get as many weapons and o line depth as possible this offseason and ride another year with Smith, Haskins, and Allen as the quarterbacks. Then the next off-season you can look at getting a new QB if needed and adding any pieces to the defense that is needed (playmaking linebacker and safety). 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

We didn't move down from 11. But now if we're looking to drop closer to the Top 5, we have to hope quite a few teams below us win some games.

We're also in danger of sliding up to 14-16 range while still missing the playoffs.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

Ugh, that sucks. It’s still amazing we beat the Steelers though and also an 11-0 team with a great defense. I thought we had no chance to win that game and then after Gibson got hurt I thought we should just pack up, get on the bus and go home. 😂 

The draft positioning is going to end up being what it’s going to be every year. I get people going through all these scenarios but to me it’s pointless, where we end up in the draft is entirely out of our control. Whether we want them to lose a and for better draft position bc we need a QB of the future or whether we want them to win games like Ace does is entirely out of control. The chips will fall where they do at the end of the season and I hope we just take the BPA and don’t teach for a QB when that happens.

2 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

If somehow Jamar Chase or Kyle Pitts are available when we pick, I think we absolutely need to go with them. Our offense is not ready to throw in a rookie QB yet. As much as I hate to say this... I think the move is to get as many weapons and o line depth as possible this offseason and ride another year with Smith, Haskins, and Allen as the quarterbacks. Then the next off-season you can look at getting a new QB if needed and adding any pieces to the defense that is needed (playmaking linebacker and safety). 

I think you just need to go BPA. The only thing this team couldn’t use an upgrade on is DL. Outside of that, everything is fair game to me with any of our draft selections.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I think you just need to go BPA. The only thing this team couldn’t use an upgrade on is DL. Outside of that, everything is fair game to me with any of our draft selections.

Just to nit pick I Love Trave Eittiene from Clemson but no HB in 1st please

38 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

Just to nit pick I Love Trave Eittiene from Clemson but no HB in 1st please

There’s a lot to like but I agree. That’s def a position where you have to just be so special and also have production in college to be drafted then. Though I actually think he’s the first RB I actually upped their rank in a senior season where they were a fringe 1 already. Lots of talented RB’s. But that’s a guy who a team like Pittsburgh should be looking at. The teams I think best for him and the team selecting him are Pittsburgh, Bmore, SanFran, Seattle, AZ. I think those are the best matches as far as player and team maximizing the value.

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Good points and probably true.