Texans Head Coach Search

amazingandre

16 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

I would take an offensive HC and someone like Dan Quinn as DC

That's exactly what I want - an offensive guru who brings in an experienced DC who can work with our existing parts. 

I said it before, but I think our front could be good as a 4-3...

This might be the lowest I have felt as a Texans fan. Our defense needs to be gut, our OL needs to be rebuilt, our coaching staff needs an overhaul, we need a legit GM, our star QB continues to struggle in the red zone, our draft picks are gutted this year, our cap situation leaves a lot to be desired. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, amazingandre said:

This might be the lowest I have felt as a Texans fan. Our defense needs to be gut, our OL needs to be rebuilt, our coaching staff needs an overhaul, we need a legit GM, our star QB continues to struggle in the red zone, our draft picks are gutted this year, our cap situation leaves a lot to be desired. 

This is literally the only reason I haven't completely packed it in. Over the past three weeks, Deshaun Watson has found a new level of play - 1,004/9/2 with close to 75% completion percentage since BoB has been fired tells me that he's elite - top 5 for sure, and possibly top 3 (if you put him on the Ravens instead of Lamar Jackson, you'd probably have a SB winner on your hands by now). 

Some tough decisions are going to be made very soon - I'm pretty sure today was the last time we'll see JJ Watt in a Texans jersey. I'm sure we won't get a first, but it's not even about the compensation, it's about giving Watt a chance elsewhere to get his shot before he's done. 

This season is only going to get worse. But, there is light on the horizon - if Eric Bienemy joins this team and brings in a DC that can get maximum effort and results out of his side of the ball, we're in business with #4 at the helm and #78 watching his back...

The odds are probably less than 20%, but if Matt Nagy got fired from Chicago - I'd love pairing him up with Bienemy. Both are Andy Reid disciples (and odds are Nagy would go back to Reid instead of working for Bienemy).

A HC/OC/DC of Bienemy, Nagy and Dan Quinn with Mike Borgonzi as GM? Excited would be an understatement. 

I mean ...I can dream, right?

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

The odds are probably less than 20%, but if Matt Nagy got fired from Chicago - I'd love pairing him up with Bienemy. Both are Andy Reid disciples (and odds are Nagy would go back to Reid instead of working for Bienemy).

A HC/OC/DC of Bienemy, Nagy and Dan Quinn with Mike Borgonzi as GM? Excited would be an understatement. 

I mean ...I can dream, right?

Just curious, what have you seen from Nagys Bears that would make you want him to be your OC?  He appears to be a great motivator and his players will run through a wall for him.  But he was hired to bring the Bears into the 21st century as far as offense goes, but the offense has simply been putrid and his play calling has been horrible.   Here’s some stats about the bears that another bears poster compiled to really illustrate this.  His personnel is pretty bad so it’s not ALL his fault, but it’s still bad.

In the 40 games (including playoffs) that Nagy has coached the Bears: 

25 of 40 times they’ve scored 10 points or fewer at the half 

11 times they’ve been held to 3 points and under 

5 times they’ve been shutout at the half 

17 times they’ve failed to score a touchdown

31 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Just curious, what have you seen from Nagys Bears that would make you want him to be your OC?  He appears to be a great motivator and his players will run through a wall for him.  But he was hired to bring the Bears into the 21st century as far as offense goes, but the offense has simply been putrid and his play calling has been horrible.   Here’s some stats about the bears that another bears poster compiled to really illustrate this.  His personnel is pretty bad so it’s not ALL his fault, but it’s still bad.

I'm mostly thinking continuity between Bienemy and Nagy as the selling point. Bienemy has a vision, but as a HC - he needs to be focused on the entire team, not just "his side of the ball" (We learned this with the last HC - he who shall not be mentioned by name).

Nagy is a natural bridge to this - they both shared similar concepts (if not identical) when Nagy was the OC and Bienemy was his RB Coach. Nagy provides latitude to Bienemy - Bienemy can focus on the team, knowing that Nagy isn't needing much hand holding to stick to the plan, so to speak.

There's also the experience factor. Bienemy will be a first time HC, so having a trusted advisor who can help with the growing pains of transitioning from a coordinator role to a HC would be great overall. Sure, Nagy has a "spotty" record (it's actually pretty good, all things considered) but that experience is valuable to a first time guy.

Think of it as such - Bienemy would be like Tua Tagovailoa and Nagy would be his Fitzpatrick; A veteran seat warmer who can help the transition from coordinator to coach.