NCAA Basketball Thread: '21-22

NYRaider

Trevor Keels shooting over 45% from three since February at just under 5 attempts per game. AJ Griffin during the same stretch is shooting 47% from three at just under 6 attempts per game. Paolo has looked like early season Paolo the past couple games. Wendell Moore, Mark Williams and Jeremy Roach continue to be consistent steady presences on both ends of the court.

The competition hasn’t been great but they’re playing exactly how you want heading into tournament season.

14 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Wisconsin won the Big 10 regular season title?  Whew I could have sworn they were worse than Iowa St.

Big 10 is rough this year.  There are some good players but not good teams.  I don't see anyone going far in the tournament unless one of the stars gets hot and carries their team.  MSU probably doesnt deserve to be in with how they have played recently but their overall resume is worth getting in.  

On 2/27/2022 at 1:48 AM, 11sanchez11 said:

duke has way more talent than everybody, it is crazy that they aren't a huge favorite

We're deep enough in the season that it doesn't matter what your roster looks like, what matters is what you're doing on the court. The ACC is perceived as weak, and Duke is not running through it the way you'd have expected them to (given all that talent, preseason hype, etc.). Their best win in the calendar year was mid a January beatdown at Wake Forest, but WF is only looking like a 10 seed. Meanwhile their 3 losses don't look good when 2 were at home, and 2 were against non-tournament teams with the other coming against a bubble team.

Of course the bolded is key, because pretty much everything I said after that goes out the window if you don't think the ACC is as weak as their projected tournament representation or the advanced metrics would suggest. If somebody doesn't think the ACC is the cakewalk it's been painted to be, Duke should absolutely be a favorite if not the #1 favorite for them.

Personally I think it is a very wide open field. I think Zags, Arizona and Duke have very easy paths to locking up a 1 seed and with the 1 seed comes the easiest path to a championship, so those would be my 3 favorites I suppose but really I view all these teams as pretty equal parts NC contenders:

• Gonzaga
  • Arizona
  • Duke
  • Kentucky
  • Kansas
  • Baylor
  • Purdue
  • Villanova
  • Auburn

and yet it also wouldn't surprise me to see a single one of these teams fail to reach the sweet 16. Just that kind of year.

Not a prediction, but these would be my AA teams

1st team

• Oscar
  • Johnny Davis
  • Cockburn
  • Agbaji
  • Banchero

2nd team

• Mathurin
  • Lidell
  • Keegan
  • Jabari
  • Akinjo

3rd team

• Gillespie
  • Alondes
  • Timme
  • Holmgren
  • Ivey

HMs- Juzang, Tubelis, TJD, Eason, Kessler, Wendell Moore, RJ Cole, Bynum

That's how I'd also predict the 1st team shaping up. Agbijo only one I could see demoted to 2nd. I'm a big Lidell fan but I doubt he'll get 2nd team, maybe 3rd. Holmgren or Timme will probably end up on 2nd team if Zags wins WCC and enter tournament as the #1 overall seed. Definitely don't think we will see any mid majors on this years' teams.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

31 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Seton Hall better stop sleep walking or they gonna lose to a Georgetown team that hasn’t won a road game all year and a team that hasn’t won a game since December. 

Seton Hall is gonna be a one and done in the tournament. Guard play is awful without Aiken. 

9 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

HMs- Juzang, Tubelis, TJD, Eason, Kessler, Wendell Moore, RJ Cole, Bynum

Honest question...

When was the last time the National Defensive Player of the Year was left off an All-American team? Have to believe Kessler is the leader there.

12 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Honest question...

When was the last time the National Defensive Player of the Year was left off an All-American team? Have to believe Kessler is the leader there.

That is a good point, it looks pretty rare. Jevon Carter in 2017 and Aaron Craft in 2014 look like the only 2 in the past decade to win DPOY and fail to make an AA team.

• Like 1