2021 Salary Cap Thread

VonKarman

Updated list of cap casualties so far. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/21/updating-list-of-cap-casualties-around-nfl-during-2021-offseason-free-agency-packers/

Of course, this is nothing compared to what is likely to come. Saints are 69M over the cap, Eagles 43M, Rams 34M,  Steelers 26M, Chiefs 23M.

The great unknown of course is what the 2021 salary cap will be. Salary cap is likely to go way up in 2023 as NFL is looking for 100% increase in broadcasting rights from networks with new TV deal coming up. Question is how much they will borrow from future increase starting in 2023 to jack up salary cap in 2021. 

Have the NFL owners approved increasing the schedule from 16 to 17 games yet?  I knew it was on the table...but have not seen news on whether or not the owners have approved it.  If approved, I think this will increase the salary cap to somewhere between $185 million to $188 million for next year.  Could impact who gets cut and who gets restructured.

3 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

MVS" salary for 2021 will go up by 1.263M to 2.183M as he hit "Proven performance escalator". He was the only Packer to do so. 

If it wasn't for the cap situation I would love to extend him and Lazard now on reasonable deals. Lazard was playing really well before injury and never looked the same after and MVS has come along. I could envisage good seasons for them both this year and I hope that doesn't price us out of the ability to extend both at the end of season.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

If it wasn't for the cap situation I would love to extend him and Lazard now on reasonable deals. Lazard was playing really well before injury and never looked the same after and MVS has come along. I could envisage good seasons for them both this year and I hope that doesn't price us out of the ability to extend both at the end of season.  

I agree, especially about MVS. I'm on record on this site as saying that, if MVS ever learns to trust his hands, he will be a real problem for defenses. This year he learned to trust his hands. Sign him up for another three years! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bump!

The cap is set at 182.5M. So we are pretty ****ed to be honest. According to OTC we are 9.7M over the cap.

We will need to at least 20M in cap space just to have enough room for our RFAs, ERFAs, draft picks and PS. Obviously we will need make even more room in order to sign FAs.

15 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Bump!

The cap is set at 182.5M. So we are pretty ****ed to be honest. According to OTC we are 9.7M over the cap.

We will need to at least 20M in cap space just to have enough room for our RFAs, ERFAs, draft picks and PS. Obviously we will need make even more room in order to sign FAs.

PS shouldn’t affect things, I don’t think. RFA’s & ERFA’s don’t really add much salary since they are just displacing minimum-salary players off the top-51. I’d add 3-4m to the 9.7m. 

I believe a D.Adams extension can lower his 2021 hit by 6-7m. Lowry cut adds 2.6m. And can save maybe 6-7m by restructuring Z.Smith. 5m by restructuring P.Smith (or 8m by cutting him). 12-13m by restructuring Rodgers, though that might be a last resort due to Love. 

3 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Bump!

Extending Z gets us to the cap limit.

Extending Davante frees up space... seen something like $6M

12 is the wild card...

And releasing/trading Preston

That gets us close to $30M under

3 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Bump!

GB has like 59 players on the roster.   ERFA may not even be in the top 51.  THe later round draft picks also won't make the top 51 or much of a dent in the total

54 minutes ago, squire12 said:

GB has like 59 players on the roster.   ERFA may not even be in the top 51.  THe later round draft picks also won't make the top 51 or much of a dent in the total

Yeah, from what it looks like now they need to create 12ish mil to give them enough of an in-season buffer for emergency signings

39 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Though small, ERFAs have a small impact on the cap. Our las 4 guys on the top 51 currently make 660K, and an 1st year RFA would make 780K (-120K cap hit) and a 2nd year RFA 850K (-190K cap hit).

I believe all the 660k guys get bumped off once you add the 2021 draft picks. Then if guys like Tonyan, Sullivan, & Green are tendered you’re starting to bump off the 700k-770k guys. 

17 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I believe all the 660k guys get bumped off once you add the 2021 draft picks. Then if guys like Tonyan, Sullivan, & Green are tendered you’re starting to bump off the 700k-770k guys. 

Last year we had a few guys in the Top 53 earning 610K, which was last years minimum, so I wouldn't be surprise if that happens again. There's probably gonna be cuts from the Top 51 that earn more than the minimum and some UDFA will get in. This won't count against the Top 51 at the beginning of the league year, but still matters for final cap purposes.

Edited by VonKarman