Jon Allen remains a stud run defender

turtle28

@RSkinGMI don’t know why you’d think Allen or Payne were over-drafted. Allen is better than some of the players taken in the top 10 of the 2017 draft. I said through the draft process San Fran should’ve take Allen - questions about a shoulder had him fall in the draft - we got a steal. Solomon Thomas of San Fran has been the bust, just a huge bust.

Payne has been a very good NT, it’s not a flash position. A lot of people wanted to take Derwin James - I could’ve went either way - James tore his ACL last year and he’s missed every game this year with an injury too. Payne is a really good run defender and athletic for a man his size.

Our problem on run D isn’t our DTs, it’s been the edges whether it’s DEs who’ve been inconsistent vs the run and especially our OLBs who haven’t been very good against the run either.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I've been looking for push up the middle on passing plays .. If it's there - I'm missing it -entirely possible. I'm sure it's just that they are so bad all 'round . Everything ends up under a microscope. 

Edited by RSkinGM

24 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I've been looking for push up the middle on passing plays .. If it's there - I'm missing it -entirely possible. I'm sure it's just that they are so bad all 'round . Everything ends up under a microscope. 

I haven’t seen it as much this year and that’s where Ioannidis is missed. Ioannidis is our best DT pass rusher, Allen & Payne are better run defenders. To replace Ioannidis they should have Kerrigan rush on 3rd and long from DT while giving Allen or Payne a break. He did that some back in 2014 and so did Murphy after we drafted drafted him and we still had Rak the first half of the year before he tore his pec again.

41 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

i think our D is so bad because of our LB's. All of them are backup quality. Not good at all.

I was about to say our DL is really shining each member gets their moment where another guy is keyed and they for the most part feast. But the Lb play outside of a few moments from each has been uninspiring!!

42 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

i think our D is so bad because of our LB's. All of them are backup quality. Not good at all.

That’s where the problems start for this defense. The LBs are just JAGS. The whole lot of them. It’s unbelievable we have this little talent at LB. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 8:40 AM, RSkinGM said:

What about his brother twin -D Payne, how's he doing ? Glad you posted this - was wondering if both were overdrafted . 

Hard to judge Payne prior to this year for the average football fan, as a 3-4 nose tackle doesn't often show up on the stat sheet in meaningful ways.

As for Allen, I've been happy with him, but here's the thing.  If he didn't have the concerns about his shoulders holding up before the draft, this was a guy projected to possibly go #1 overall, and absolutely in the top 5.  Have we had a good return on our investment at pick 17?  I think so, but for his talent level?  Not even close.