Clippers hire Ty Lue as HC

sdrawkcab321

34 minutes ago, champ11 said:

i'd love to hear valid reasoning from online commentators about why they don't think ty lue is a good coach, but i know i won't get that 

Because anyone can coach LeBron!!!!!

Lue is going to do just fine with the Clippers. Lue and Billups both will get the respect of the star players and more importantly the role players. They don't need a great X's and O's coach, they have a crazy amount of offensive talent. Lue also comes up with solid defensive game plans in the playoffs. Nothing wrong with this hire.

More interested in seeing who the Rockets sign and what direction they go in. 

34 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lue is going to do just fine with the Clippers. Lue and Billups both will get the respect of the star players and more importantly the role players. They don't need a great X's and O's coach, they have a crazy amount of offensive talent. Lue also comes up with solid defensive game plans in the playoffs. Nothing wrong with this hire.

How much did Billups and Lue help the Clippers this season when they imploded in the postseason against Denver though? Doc shouldn't get all the blame for their collapse when Billups/Lue were also on the staff and considered future head coaching candidates. They're definitely extremely talented but we saw them fall apart in the postseason this year because of Doc's lack of adjustments and poor coaching decisions. 

This is such an important year for the Clippers future outlook because if they fall short of a title again they could potentially lose Kawhi and PG in free agency. And the West is going to be even tougher next year with the Warriors getting healthy, the Lakers looking to add more pieces this offseason, and teams like the Nuggets/Mavericks looking poised to take the next step. 

Yeah, will be interesting to see who they hire. I wonder if they wait to hire a GM before they decide on their next coach. 

Edited by NYRaider

38 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lue has not been considered a good defensive coach. Cleveland fell off a cliff defensively after their first year with him. He's mostly known for his offense. I guess we'll see what he can do with this core. I love Chauncey, and think he's going to be fantastic.

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How much did Billups and Lue help the Clippers this season when they imploded in the postseason against Denver though? Doc shouldn't get all the blame for their collapse when Billups/Lue were also on the staff and considered future head coaching candidates. They're definitely extremely talented but we saw them fall apart in the postseason this year because of Doc's lack of adjustments and poor coaching decisions. 

This is such an important year for the Clippers future outlook because if they fall short of a title again they could potentially lose Kawhi and PG in free agency. And the West is going to be even tougher next year with the Warriors getting healthy, the Lakers looking to add more pieces this offseason, and teams like the Nuggets/Mavericks looking poised to take the next step. 

Yeah, will be interesting to see who they hire. I wonder if they wait to hire a GM before they decide on their next coach. 

Chauncey was not part of the Clippers staff. Sam Cassell was.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

the cavs defense was terrible in the playoffs when he was hc.

6 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Chauncey was not part of the Clippers staff. Sam Cassell was.

Thanks for the clarification, either way though my point remains the same. And I think it's pretty risky to put your faith in Lue when the future of the franchise is on the line this year. 

10 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Lue has not been considered a good defensive coach. Cleveland fell off a cliff defensively after their first year with him. He's mostly known for his offense. I guess we'll see what he can do with this core. I love Chauncey, and think he's going to be fantastic.

His defense was in the regular season was horrendous, but in the playoffs they would at least become average. In 2018, before the finals, they went from being the the worst or second worst defense in the regular season to solid. In 2016, obviously he made the right adjustments to slow the Warriors down. There really is nothing to be mad about this hire. I don't get the Lue slander. 

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Billups was the Clippers TV analyst, not on the actual coaching staff. 

The Clippers are in win now mode and signed a coach that has won a ring and has experience coaching teams with the same expectations as this Clippers team. Nurse was on the same coaching staff as Casey, who the Raptors fired for getting swept by the Cavs...The following season the Raptors were NBA champs. Doc didn't just get fired for this collapse, his teams have routinely come up short and he had a long enough run. He was the coach of THREE three teams that blew 3-1 leads, his time was up. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The Clippers are in win now mode and signed a coach that has won a ring and has experience coaching teams with the same expectations as this Clippers team. Nurse was on the same coaching staff as Casey, who the Raptors fired for getting swept by the Cavs...The following season the Raptors were NBA champs. Doc didn't just get fired for this collapse, his teams have routinely come up short and he had a long enough run. He was the coach of THREE three teams that blew 3-1 leads, his time was up. 

But he was also on Doc's staff and they just collapsed in the playoffs. And the Nurse situation is completely different than Lue taking over for the Clippers because the Raptors made significant changes to their rotation. In the 17-18 playoffs their starters were Lowry - DeRozan - Anunoby - Ibaka - Valanciunas and in the 18-19 playoffs their starters were Lowry - Green - Leonard - Siakam - Gasol. Nurse played a role in their improvement but their overall talent level and personnel was also way better as they had an actual superstar instead of an All-Star as their #1 option, Siakam took an enormous leap, and they had much better spacing with Gasol at the 5.