Clippers hire Ty Lue as HC

sdrawkcab321

9 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Don’t understand, if you want to hire an assistant then hire a Pop one or Nurse. Then again it’s the NBA, for most part it’s about the players so who the coach is doesn’t really matter. We just seen that with Vogel.

Vogel actually isn’t a bad coach.... not sure where that ever came from. He’s a defensive minded coach and that showed in the Lakers this season.

5 hours ago, champ11 said:

Yeah, having the respect of star players is essential. Comparing him to Blatt is a tough look considering Blatt was run out of Cleveland and hasn't sniffed the NBA since since he did not know how to carry himself/be a coach. I don't think Lue is a brilliant coaching mind by any means - but for a vet team with championship aspirations he is a very good coach. Getting to the finals three straight years takes a level of competence that many coaches in the NBA couldn't match - holding it against him that he lost to the greatest team ever assembled in the finals twice is unfair. End of the day, he's a solid coach and I don't see how you can say a guy like Billy Donovan, who has been a midlevel NBA coach his whole career, would definitively be a better option. 

I respect the deep dive into stats that require context and are often circumstantial. He has a pretty strong reputation from Cavs fans on twitter from what I've seen. But end of the day I don't think most fans have a great ability to evaluate coaches. A lot more goes into it and basketball is just happening at a higher level than we can understand. 

So the Cavaliers falling off a cliff defensively with the same personnel under Lue doesn’t mean anything? Okay buddy, lol. Clippers gonna love him when Kawhi and PG bolt after this year for sure. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So the Cavaliers falling off a cliff defensively with the same personnel under Lue doesn’t mean anything? Okay buddy, lol. Clippers gonna love him when Kawhi and PG bolt after this year for sure. 

does the ORTG in the playoffs jumping 10 points from 14-15 to 15-16 under Lue mean that he's an offensive mastermind? does the fact that the cavs had a 119.9 ORTG in the 16-17 playoffs (that might be the best ever??) mean Lue is an incredible offensive mind? what do those statistics mean!!

11 minutes ago, champ11 said:

does the ORTG in the playoffs jumping 10 points from 14-15 to 15-16 under Lue mean that he's an offensive mastermind? does the fact that the cavs had a 119.9 ORTG in the 16-17 playoffs (that might be the best ever??) mean Lue is an incredible offensive mind? what do those statistics mean!!

Is a 16-22 game sample size better than a 200 game sample size? Does progressively getting worse every year not indicate something? 

It’s too deep for the fans man and Lebron respects him so he’s obviously a great coach. Hopefully Kawhi can average 40 in the playoffs like Lue to emphasize his amazing coaching style, rotations, and defensive philosophies. 

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Is a 16-22 game sample size better than a 200 game sample size? Does progressively getting worse every year not indicate something? 

It’s too deep for the fans man and Lebron respects him so he’s obviously a great coach. Hopefully Kawhi can average 40 in the playoffs like Lue to emphasize his amazing coaching style, rotations, and defensive philosophies. 

well, actually, all of the Lue coached teams were better than that 14-15 team. and you were talking about playoff stats yourself. but yeah. i don't really take fans takes on coaches very seriously

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

well, actually, all of the Lue coached teams were better than that 14-15 team. and you were talking about playoff stats yourself. but yeah. i don't really take fans takes on coaches very seriously

All of Lue's teams were significantly worse defensively then that 14-15 team. Unless of course being lower in defensive rating is better but I don't think that's how basic math works. Usually 3 > 29. 

39 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

All of Lue's teams were significantly worse defensively then that 14-15 team. Unless of course being lower in defensive rating is better but I don't think that's how basic math works. Usually 3 > 29. 

i said better. you think the 14-15 cavs team was better than the 2 teams that followed? you are puttin yourself in a tough spot here my dude 

21 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I've never been a Vogel fan but LOL at anyone suggesting he coached poorly or was a non-factor. 

My point is that it’s a players league. When you have two players of LeBron and AD’s ability, particularly Bron who your coach is doesn’t really matter. It’s a players league. Having two of the 5-7 best players in the league will put you in a strong position to win a title.