With the trade deadline approaching are the Patriots buying or selling?

jofos

12 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I believe the 49ers game will determine if the team decides to buy or sell. Going to 2-4  .. with a good chance of 2-5 losing to the Bills .. it's hard to imagine wanting to keep everyone. 

• Gilmore I believe has one year on his deal after this season.. so he could fetch a decent return. Eagles traded a 3rd and 5th for Slay if I recall correctly ..  a 2nd rounder would be great but two 3rds seems more likely... the team was willing to trade him this off season .. but likely wanted a 1st for him.. with a lower asking price he could be gone
  • James White would be great for a playoff team for a 3rd rounder and is worth trading given that I highly doubt he gets resigned
  • Thuney is better off staying and getting a comp pick unless you can get more than a 3rd
  • Edelman would be good to trade so we can see what Gunner can do before the draft.. but would anyone want him with all the drops? Maybe for a 4th? 
  • I doubt any team would be willing to take Michel off our hands.. especially with him on IR 
  • Newton could be a good option for Dallas or the 49ers if they are ready to give up on JimmyG

Through 8 games this team will likely be 3-5 .. at that point I would rather start Stidham, Gunner, Asiasi, etc etc and see what we've got with them going ~5-11 instead of ~7-9 with Cam 

Hope you don't mind but I'm going to use your comments. I'm not making any judgments or what you wrote but I'm giving my opinion in general.

1 Gilmore I believe has one year on his deal after this season.. so he could fetch a decent return  I have a hard time seeing them trading him after BB just gave him a raise. Why waste the money if you are going to trade him. I would trade him only if BB thinks his skills are declining. However he would be one heck of a safty when he can no longer play CB EX Charles Woodson.

2.  James White would be great for a playoff team for a 3rd rounder. I would trade him ASAP. The only way I keep him if he takes a big team discount. JW is a fool if he does so. His next contract will be his last, go for the money James You deserve it!

3  Thuney is better off staying and getting a comp pick unless you can get more than a 3rd  Exactly

4.  I doubt any team would be willing to take Michel off our hands.. especially with him on IR  Your right however there are always injuries he might have value down the road

Newton Has no value this year to any other team even if there QB goes down. How can he learn the offense to be effective and why waste assets when your season is done when starter is injured.

In general, I don't want any players in return. I want draft capital. This team need to get younger. Veterans will not help in the long term. However if they are young players such 2/3 in the NFL I would trade, but who going to give up good young players? Give me the draft.

• Like 1

If I recall correctly Gilmore wasn't given a raise.. he was given an advance. 

By giving the extra money this year, when the Patriots had cap space.. it avoided dead cap money next year. Due to that I see it as even more likely that he gets traded either at the deadline or in the offseason. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Was really hoping that, without the typical high expectations, we would avoid these knee jerk reaction threads post game. 

Yeah me too. I am actually enjoying not moping over results for days on end because I feel like the Patriots should squish everyone and it is a disaster when they don't.

Definitely too soon for this nonsense. Let's see how we look after the first game with the Bills - conveniently two days before the deadline. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

If I recall correctly Gilmore wasn't given a raise.. he was given an advance. 

By giving the extra money this year, when the Patriots had cap space.. it avoided dead cap money next year. Due to that I see it as even more likely that he gets traded either at the deadline or in the offseason. 

SC gives me a headache!  I thought I understood what you meant with the advance however I searched and found this. It looks to me they gave him a raise 2020 to have less of a cap hit going forward.  If you do respond make sure its at a 3rd grade level so I might have a chance understanding!😄

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-give-cb-stephon-gilmore-a-5m-raise-for-2020

Edited by m haynes

I hope they use the remaining cap to strike a front loaded, long term deal with Cam so we can have cap relieve in future years.

Thuney would be my second desire, mostly because of the sheer flexibility that he brings to the OL.

Would not mind shipping Gilmore if the pay back is good, as we have a good DB group.

12 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Still valid to consider all the options with the roster. It is unpredictable.

I suppose, but in all the years I have been watching the NFL, I have never seen a team "sell". It just doesnt really happen. Even the big moves that typically get hyped up rarely actually go down at the deadline. We usually get one big move from the entire NFL every other year. 

29 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I suppose, but in all the years I have been watching the NFL, I have never seen a team "sell".

I think it is just a play on words. Like basically are we going to trade a player or trade for a player, and do we think it is motivated for this years team or next, ect.

The only time recently I think of "selling" are with coincidentally a former Pats coach. The Dolphins trading away Minkah Fitzpatrick, Tunsil, and Drake under Flores.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I think it is just a play on words. Like basically are we going to trade a player or trade for a player, and do we think it is motivated for this years team or next, ect.

The only time recently I think of "selling" are with coincidentally a former Pats coach. The Dolphins trading away Minkah Fitzpatrick, Tunsil, and Drake under Flores.

This!  

Wow last week I was told I am always to positive about the Patriots now I'm having knee jerk reactions...