Boston Celtics Thread

Deadpulse

7 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Hayward 1 for 5 and J Brown 1 for 9.. they have been reduced to role players. How does Boston solve their "first world" problems??

They'll come around, I'm not too worried about their offensive struggles. It's going to take some time for these guys to all mesh.

I'm comfortable saying Tatum is already their best player, and I think come the end of the season, that will be an obvious statement. Kid is a special talent.

One thing I wish would happen or would like to see is R Williams getting a shot at starting (though I wouldn't expect this from Stevens). RW is the only player on Boston with the pick and roll and lob-dunk ability at an insane level. Or what I would call the Clint Capela type of game. RW's defense really is impressive and so is his rebounding. He has also shown good court awareness at finding open teammates (on a small sample size)

More importantly he doesn't require the ball at all and can still be a effective player. Problem of course is, who goes to the bench?? Everyone has an ego and I probably wouldn't want to mess with that.

Conclusion then is to have RW play all of Baynes/Theis minutes and become a 6th man. I know some like Baynes and his physicality. But I am not as high on that as I am on having a Clint Capela type of player who I suspect would allow for easy baskets near the rim vs Baynes stepping out and shooting 3s.

Opinions Boston fans??

I don't ilke the idea of Robert Williams starting whatsoever. I think the Capela comps are a little much right now as well, I get why they are being made but Williams is no where near the player the Capela is. I like his potential though. And you absolutely can't sit Horford. 

Hayward is still getting his legs under him and they are all still trying to figure out how to play together. 

Last night was a tough loss but it's been like 8 games, they'll figure it out. Indiana is a playoff team as well. 

48 minutes ago, Spooky said:

I don't ilke the idea of Robert Williams starting whatsoever. I think the Capela comps are a little much right now as well, I get why they are being made but Williams is no where near the player the Capela is. I like his potential though. And you absolutely can't sit Horford. 

Hayward is still getting his legs under him and they are all still trying to figure out how to play together. 

Last night was a tough loss but it's been like 8 games, they'll figure it out. Indiana is a playoff team as well. 

Capela made his best progress when he became a starter.

Never said Horford to the bench. Infact I already conceded that te Ego's have to make the starters stay the same. BUT RW needs to get way more minutes. I for one am not as overly fond about Baynes as some Boston fans are. Even more so when Baynes has become a pick and pop 3 point shooter, regardless of him making some. Boston plays for long stretches without second chance points because everyone is behind the 3 point line. I also believe easir baskets will come with someone like RW rolling to the rim with a slasher (Kyrie) lob dunks/put backs etc.

And for the final reason, RW can switch far better on pick and rolls while still being a potential stud as a rim protector.

Ainge got this pick right. Stevens can be slow to give faith to rookies tough.

Everything I said will one day be revealed as the truth. Just hoping for sooner than later.

Edited by resilient part 2

Williams proved last night why he wasn’t ready for a starting role. Unreal athleticism on that dunk but fouling Milap on purpose was just bad. Even if he thought he heard “Foul” from the bench. Just needs to grow mentally as a player, physical traits are there. 

Another frustratint loss last night but I think there’s a lot of positives to draw from it. Irving looked like the old Irving and has been great since cutting his hair. Celtics are clearly playing better than they were in October & it’s still so early. Team has so much potential. Imagine if the bench played well last night? 

1 hour ago, Spooky said:

Williams proved last night why he wasn’t ready for a starting role. Unreal athleticism on that dunk but fouling Milap on purpose was just bad. Even if he thought he heard “Foul” from the bench. Just needs to grow mentally as a player, physical traits are there. 

Another frustratint loss last night but I think there’s a lot of positives to draw from it. Irving looked like the old Irving and has been great since cutting his hair. Celtics are clearly playing better than they were in October & it’s still so early. Team has so much potential. Imagine if the bench played well last night? 

Clearly you are more optimistic than me that's fine hopefully you're right. But I don't mind the growing pains with R Williams. He has the upside that we will need come playoffs against the better teams. Not the others so let him grow now while he's still can

Edited by resilient part 2

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Hayward needs to run with the second unit. He sucks right now, its going to take him most of the season to get back to what he was. Mentally and physically.

All true, but it may not matter. Boston has too many players who need the ball. You can shuffle the deck any way you want, there is only one Basketball. To think a player like Brown might be a All-star on another team. here he might be the 5th option. Rozier is playing terribly and is forcing up shots. He has to hate coming off the bench and playing a much smaller role compared to playing well as a starter last season. 

Hate to say it, but an injury would be a blessing in disguise. 

And/or trade Rozier. I don't see Boston matching some team's much bigger offer.