1. 1. Who wins on Sunday?

• Browns
    • Who Dey?
    • Dey Who?
    • Hornby
    • Kiwi
    • The entire state of Ohio

45 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Hue thinking Baker's issue is rooted in confidence is very funny and point directly to how he's a feelings guy rather than the QB guru we were sold. The first INT of the Steelers game is not rooted in confidence. There's a miscommunication between what he's seeing and where he's supposed to go with the ball and that's proven time and time again when he's blitzed or coverages are disguised. I legit just think he's bad at making reads. 

I think the one takeaway I have is that Baker is under center a lot in this offense, where he has performed in the past from the shotgun primarily. The play actions help him but having him under center more than half the time is hurting him.

For example, the prettiest throw he made in the last 3 weeks was the TD to Higgins against the Colts---that was from the shotgun.

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think the one takeaway I have is that Baker is under center a lot in this offense, where he has performed in the past from the shotgun primarily. The play actions help him but having him under center more than half the time is hurting him.

For example, the prettiest throw he made in the last 3 weeks was the TD to Higgins against the Colts---that was from the shotgun.

He needs to be able to play from under center. This offense is a run first offense and we run better from under center than shotgun 

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Probably long term to be a great QB Baker will have to operate out of the shotgun, but he's not good either way and our team is better under center.

Last year teams just got pressure and forced Baker to make quick reads out of shotgun and it was terrible.

Also it's not what Stefanski runs and I have more faith in his offense than I do in Baker.  If he can't be effective under center I'd sooner move on to a different QB than I would want to adjust our system.

Honestly he has the same issue whether it's from shotgun or under center, he doesn't step up in pocket and find his second and third reads.  If they keep outside contain and collapse the pocket (pretty easy if you bring a blitz there) he's gonna get sacked, overthrow, or picked off.  Disguise your coverage well enough and Baker seems pretty hopeless.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 1

For Baker to be good long term he’s going to have to get better at reading defenses. I think we can all agree on this.

I think a big part of reading defenses is having an in depth understanding of your offense and what everyone is doing and I don’t think you get that in one season. 

Joe Thomas talked about it years ago how every season it’s starting from square one here.  Other teams pick up where they left off the year before as they have the same roster minus one or two starters who the returning guys can help along.  You essentially get one team learning their playbook at a 100 level courses vs other teams working at a 200 or 300 level. 

Similarly the coaching staff has changed some of Baker’s mechanics and are trying to break bad habits.  You don’t do that in 6 games or really just one season.  Not to a point of mastering the skill anyway.

At some point we have to stop the madness of changing one or more key pieces (QB, coach, GM) every offseason and let a group grow together for some years. We say this every offseason and every offseason we make a change.  Every offseason it’s “well if we just do this now THEN we’ll be able to have some consistency”.  And then we don’t. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I’m not saying Baker is the long term answer, he clearly hasn’t shown that.  But he clearly hasn’t been but in a position from the organization to succeed, no QB has here tbh. At some point I’d just like to see some continuity at the position and see what a guy can do with 3-4 years in one scheme.  In the meantime, build up our atrocious defense and maybe one day be able to field a competent roster on both sides of the ball as opposed to continuing to waste endless picks on QB’s we have no intention to properly develop.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

At some point we have to stop the madness of changing one or more key pieces (QB, coach, GM) every offseason and let a group grow together for some years. We say this every offseason and every offseason we make a change.  Every offseason it’s “well if we just do this now THEN we’ll be able to have some consistency”.  And then we don’t. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Using that same rational, we’d still have Freddie Kitchens as our HC.

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Using that same rational, we’d still have Freddie Kitchens as our HC.

I get your point, but Freddie never should have been a HC.  The stories that have come out since confirm he was never someone who was organized enough or ready for such a role.  That was a combination of John Dorsey wanting to keep the best thing we’d seen offensively since 2007 (but failing to identify the driver behind it) and also wanting a guy he could control.

Baker was universally regarded as a top 10 pick.  Sure we can switch out the player, but the next guy isn’t going to be any more qualified or physically capable. If we’re being honest we’re not going to be in a position to draft a guy more talented than Baker unless we lose out, which I don’t see happening obv.  If we can get an established guy, well, maybe that’s worth discussing but that would be case by case.  There aren’t too many players who make my jeans tight when it comes to FA or available via trade.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m fine with keeping Baker long term, but we need to completely change how this team is structured.

It needs to be an elite defensive team ala Pittsburgh level to win with Baker.

I think that should be the goal with any team.

Having a great QB is wonderful and all, but only a couple teams actually have one.  Having an elite defense means you always have a puncher’s chance.  You’re always going to be competitive. Hell, look at the Steelers last year or the Ravens for years with Flacco.

I get teams like the Rams and Chiefs have made airing it out as sexy as it’s ever been, but defense and running the ball still wins games, especially later in the season.

Keep building and developing a Baker, sprinkle in pieces every year to keep the offense working and load up on defensive talent. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

He needs to be able to play from under center. This offense is a run first offense and we run better from under center than shotgun 

Yeah but the clear fact is he is not good operating under center. So it's either you put him in shotgun and have the passing game succeed or put him under center and have the running game succeed.

I do think stefanski is smart enough to figure this out and find a balance between the two 

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah but the clear fact is he is not good operating under center. So it's either you put him in shotgun and have the passing game succeed or put him under center and have the running game succeed.

I do think stefanski is smart enough to figure this out and find a balance between the two 

I’m sorry, you were saying...

24 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Use google if you want to know.

He's been horrible. Dating back to last year.

From shotgun RPO or play action under center:

73% completion. 9TD/4INT. 4 sacks.

Doing anything else:

52% completion. 5 TD/9INT. 20 sacks.

He can not 3 step drop from under center and throw the ball well. He needs misdirection to throw the ball well.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m sorry, you were saying...

I didn't know the stats but I always feel better when I see him under center. If Baker continues to struggle and we are trying to win we maybe should go to hurry up so the defense can't easily disguise things. It's a little gimmicky and stresses the defense but it would work I think for our offense.

• Like 1