Week 5 Oakland (2-2) vs Baltimore (2-2)

drfrey13

Well done offense. 2 targets to your most talented receiver. That will win a football game. As will trying to check down to a back down 2 scores twice in a row.

The OL is overrated and can't hold their own when they're asked to block for more than a few seconds. The run defense looked atrocious with Marquel Lee out. 

Carr carrying this team is the only way we can sneak a wild card. But JDR isn't a good coach and this team isn't good enough to make postseason noise. Sad tru

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Tank for Barkley! Kidding.... but this team won't win 7 games with the back stretch of games.  Season on the line against SD next week.

I see the same kinda game next week. EJ wasn't bad, so I don't think if Carr were to return it would be a night and day difference offensively. Team keeps shooting itself in the foot.

1 hour ago, RaiderX said:

I see the same kinda game next week. EJ wasn't bad, so I don't think if Carr were to return it would be a night and day difference offensively. Team keeps shooting itself in the foot.

Rivers will carve this group up next week. They are feckless. JDR has lost them. As someone noted, JDR is a motivator.... the moment that doesn't work, he's done. 

His OC/DC are not talented enough to rally around their HC. I've been preaching patients and good teams win in Nov. but this is as lifeless a 3 game stretch as I can remember. This has a feel of the wheels have come off. 

Could be a blessing in disguise. This team was never going to far with JDR. He's an average HC and can't get good playcallers around him to lift him. KNJ... you kidding me with him? Fire him now and go to Pagano. Downing... looking like they went that direction to soon. He wasn't ready. Vanilla. Can't get his playmakers in position to make plays. Doesn't understand down/distance. Amari Cooper...2 targets.

You put Amari on any good offensive coached team, he goes for 100+ every week. I truly believe that. And he's done right now.... his confidence is down. He's not getting chances to make plays. His OC is wasting his talent. 

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Rivers will carve this group up next week. They are feckless. JDR has lost them. As someone noted, JDR is a motivator.... the moment that doesn't work, he's done. 

His OC/DC are not talented enough to rally around their HC. I've been preaching patients and good teams win in Nov. but this is as lifeless a 3 game stretch as I can remember. This has a feel of the wheels have come off. 

Could be a blessing in disguise. This team was never going to far with JDR. He's an average HC and can't get good playcallers around him to lift him. KNJ... you kidding me with him? Fire him now and go to Pagano. Downing... looking like they went that direction to soon. He wasn't ready. Vanilla. Can't get his playmakers in position to make plays. Doesn't understand down/distance. Amari Cooper...2 targets.

You put Amari on any good offensive coached team, he goes for 100+ every week. I truly believe that. And he's done right now.... his confidence is down. He's not getting chances to make plays. His OC is wasting his talent. 

PREACH

Sad but looking truer.  I wasn't a fan of the JDR hire, but the team had some fight in them with him around.  Like, we aren't a juggernaut or anything but the past few weeks have been absolutely pitiful far below expectations.  At some point we do need to right the ship or acknowledge the coaches aren't getting it done.  I don't think now is that point, but if things don't get better, it'll come.  I hate seeing us get out schemed.  Coop can be a top 10 WR.  Carr can be a top 5 QB.  Mack was DPOY.  We have other good role players on defense.  Osemele, Gabe, and Hudson are stud Interior Offensive Linemen. Its been kind of a perfect storm as far as injuries go, but damn.  Something's gotta give.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Watching KC. Look at how Andy Reid schemes to get his playmakers the ball. They really only have 3 guys in Hill, Kelce, and Hunt but Reid makes sure to get them all touches in various ways so they are apart of the game. 

It's sickening when you compare it to our offense, where you can literally go an entire game without seeing Cooper get any designed plays to get him the ball. His talents are being wasted. He is a quiet guy but you can just tell his confidence is in the dumps. And if I am Reggie McKenzie or MD, I am demanding answers from Downing why my top 5 draft pick WR can't get more than 2 targets. There is no excuse.

10 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Sad but looking truer.  I wasn't a fan of the JDR hire, but the team had some fight in them with him around.  Like, we aren't a juggernaut or anything but the past few weeks have been absolutely pitiful far below expectations.  At some point we do need to right the ship or acknowledge the coaches aren't getting it done.  I don't think now is that point, but if things don't get better, it'll come.  I hate seeing us get out schemed.  Coop can be a top 10 WR.  Carr can be a top 5 QB.  Mack was DPOY.  We have other good role players on defense.  Osemele, Gabe, and Hudson are stud Interior Offensive Linemen. Its been kind of a perfect storm as far as injuries go, but damn.  Something's gotta give.

There is the biggest issue for me. This staff are not X's/ O's type guys. JDR and KNJ are rah rah types and that's not working clearly. They are playing lifeless football. Need a big 3rd down stop on 3rd and medium.... CB is giving a 10 yard cushion. I can't unsee stuff like that. 

Downing... I don't know who he is (it's early) but he certainly doesn't seem to be a an X's/O's guy. He continues to look lost in his own playbook. 2 biggest plays for Oakland yesterday were broken plays where EJ got the ball down field. Otherwise, he called short passes. And failed to get the ball to Cooper.

Watching KC last night, you know who their threats are, but Andy Reid doesn't play to the defense. He schemes to get them the ball. Downing is taking the old "take what the defense gives you" approach. Ignoring his playmaking WR.

This team doesn't look like it's having any fun at all right now. Completely lifeless. 

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Pathetic performance. I think if Carr comes back next week we'll still sneak into the wild card at 9-7 but I'm really starting to question ALL of our coaches. 

Give it up... this team is not making the playoffs. Carr is not a miracle worker and the schedule is brutal on the backend. KC twice, Den, Phil, Dal, NE, Buf. 

This 3 game losing streak shows who they are. They are not punching back. Seem lifeless and they are coached by rah rah types. If they can't motivate them, they sure as heck can't win x's/o's games plans again any of those above mentioned teams. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Give it up... this team is not making the playoffs. Carr is not a miracle worker and the schedule is brutal on the backend. KC twice, Den, Phil, Dal, NE, Buf. 

This 3 game losing streak shows who they are. They are not punching back. Seem lifeless and they are coached by rah rah types. If they can't motivate them, they sure as heck can't win x's/o's games plans again any of those above mentioned teams. 

It's only five games bro. We were underdogs against both the Redskins and Broncos and had no QB vs the Ravens. Bad performances but this team can still bounce back and show heart. Still very early. 

Are we winning our division? No. KC is a monster this year. However, we can absolutely win 9-10 games and get a wildcard. If you have given up this early, at 2-3, then stop watching. 

46 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It's only five games bro. We were underdogs against both the Redskins and Broncos and had no QB vs the Ravens. Bad performances but this team can still bounce back and show heart. Still very early. 

Are we winning our division? No. KC is a monster this year. However, we can absolutely win 9-10 games and get a wildcard. If you have given up this early, at 2-3, then stop watching. 

EJ played fantastic with what he was given.

The issue is the defense. They are not good enough to win games. They are not forcing turnovers. Can't cover and yesterday were beaten in the trenches while Balt ran all over them. They have the talent to win 10 games. But can the coaches lift them up right now? I have my doubts.

Coaching is an issue.... why is Reggie Nelson still on the field? He's letting balls get over his head and he's slow to close. Could Luani be a spark? We'll never know. This staff will stick to it's plan (however poor it is) until it's too late. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

EJ played fantastic with what he was given.

The issue is the defense. They are not good enough to win games. They are not forcing turnovers. Can't cover and yesterday were beaten in the trenches while Balt ran all over them. They have the talent to win 10 games. But can the coaches lift them up right now? I have my doubts.

Coaching is an issue.... why is Reggie Nelson still on the field? He's letting balls get over his head and he's slow to close. Could Luani be a spark? We'll never know. This staff will stick to it's plan (however poor it is) until it's too late. 

Reggie is on the  field because he is the vet leader of the defense and very good vs the run. Both Conley and Joesph said in interviews this year that Reggie is the leader and gets them ready to play.  I think you have a valid point about his speed and range but an under valued part of his game is his fill technique and open field tackling.

However I think Joesph is filling this role more so this year as he leads the team in tackles.

It's a risk reward type deal. Do we risk losing the leadership on the field and instincts in the run  game for the possible upgrade on the back end?

It's easy to say yes when we haven't seen the results of the other choice or know the full impact it would make in the lockerroom as well.

Tough deal.

Archived