Colts at Lions

diehardlionfan

59 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

If I'm Patricia, and I know no trades are on the horizon, I am working to develop the guys I have.

The Fords stupidly told Patricia he was on the hot seat. The minute they told him that he wasn't interested in developing young guys, just playing the players he thinks gives him the best chance to win.

I don't think he's very good at knowing who gives him the best chance to win.

7 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

detroit-lions-introduce-matt-patricia-5b

GB cut him too, and it's not like a ton of teams were rushing to sign him.

It was always known that he was a go-up-and-get-it type of WR, and did that well. He struggled to create separation, and our WR group entering the year was incredibly deep. It took a slew of injuries for the Eagles to give him a shot.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

GB cut him too, and it's not like a ton of teams were rushing to sign him.

It was always known that he was a go-up-and-get-it type of WR, and did that well. He struggled to create separation, and our WR group entering the year was incredibly deep. It took a slew of injuries for the Eagles to give him a shot.

Our staff got a longer look at him than GB's did.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Right.

Who here was furious when we cut Fulgham?

Nobody at all.... but he's now making plays as a decent, starting caliber WR on another NFC team. It's just a question on what was missed/what the difference is by us (and GB) vs Philly leading him towards success. 

18 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

Think Ravens would give there 1st for Golladay after today?  How about the Packers? How would we feel about that?  Marvin should be able to fetch a descent pick.  It’s time, mediocrity is this teams ceiling. Probably have to wait till offseason to deal Stafford .  What if we traded Stafford to the Bears and Golladay to the Packers picking up both there 1st?  How do you say no to that?

So, let’s say they follow that script. I’m not for or against at this point. I do want to know what the plan is. On a team, short of quality players trading Stafford and Golladay creates two more holes. 

So, how do they field a competitive team? How many years are you planning for a rebuild? 

Good players are easy to trade but not so easy to replace.

Needs following trades,

QB, 2 quality WR, RG, DE, DT, 2 LB, Safety, CB, and probably a RB. Those aren’t depth pieces rather starters. I would also like to add a high end OT and a 3 down RB.

I’m not against blowing the team up but I would like to know what the plan is. Having lots of draft picks is great if it’s an organization that knows how to spend them effectively. The Lions historically aren’t very good (regardless of management) at building rosters. I’m leery of trading effective players for an opportunity to select draft eligible players. 

There are lots of opportunities to draft 2nd tier receivers and QB’s. There should be plenty of second level WR available in free agency to. But, it’s unlikely they replace Golladay without spending the acquired capital. 

12 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Not directly related to this game but what did Detroit not see in Fulgham vs what he's doing now in Philly? We can use a WR opposite of KG and he's playing really well. 

Good question. Perhaps they liked others more than him. On the Lions depth chart he likely wouldn’t see the opportunity he’s getting in Philly. Injuries have allowed him to get on the field. IDK what the reason is, just pure speculation.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Total team collapse. Can't run the ball so the offense becomes one dimensional. KG is gone so Staffords top guy is removed and anyone not named Marvin is struggling to make plays. Stafford is pressing due to pressure and making bad decisions. Then theres the defense making Hines, Wilkins and Pascal look like future HOFers. 

We are seeing the team for what they are: a 7-9 or maybe 8-8 roster which is wildly inconsistent on both sides of ball. I was hoping we'd see a difference in momentum from the past two weeks but it is what it is. 

We are one of those teams that's good enough to beat the bad teams but not good enough to beat the good ones. 

What's with the playcalling this year? Everyone liked Bevell it seemed like, but the offense has been really predictable this year. Do you think it's Patricia? He wants a "ball control" offense, but I don't see the need to keep running up the middle with Peterson on first and second down. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

We are one of those teams that's good enough to beat the bad teams but not good enough to beat the good ones. 

What's with the playcalling this year? Everyone liked Bevell it seemed like, but the offense has been really predictable this year. Do you think it's Patricia? He wants a "ball control" offense, but I don't see the need to keep running up the middle with Peterson on first and second down. 

This is how I'm feeling about this Colts game but it's really just a gut feeling than it is based on anything with real support. 

For 2018 and 2019, we did not play either the Jaguars or Falcons. This would mean that a new game plan would be developed for both of those teams. However, we just played the Rivers led Chargers last year and came away with a W. It appears that this week we strayed away from what had been working the last two weeks and reverted back to some of the old playcalling - more man coverage, less blitzing, etc. It feels like Patricia dusted off the ole Rivers/Chargers gameplan instead of working on a plan to beat the 2020 Colts. The Colts are just so strong in the trenches and it was the difference maker in this game. Rivers had time to throw to his PS level guys while Stafford was constantly under duress and then forced some bad passes and decisions.

• Like 1