The Return of the Face of the Vikings (Teddy Chronicles)

gopherwrestler

40 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Teddy's at a tremendous disadvantage, because not only his health is working against him, but the fact that he's never run the Shurmur offense.  

That’s not really something that worries me. With all of the work and rehab that Teddy has been doing, he’s likely in the best shape of his life. And as for the playbook, Teddy has been a part of QB meetings and in the film room with Shurmur since the beginning of training camp. He likely knows the offense, he just hasn’t had any live reps. And how well we saw Shurmur get Bradford up to speed last year with no live reps of the Vikings offense, I’m not really worried there either. 

That wasn't Shurmur that got Bradford up to speed last year, as he was the TE coach at the time.  That was Scott Turner.  And regardless, there's a huge difference between seeing an offense in meeting rooms and on the tablet...there's executing it and getting in sync with the receivers, none of which he has done in over a year in a different offensive scheme.

14 minutes ago, disaacs said:

That wasn't Shurmur that got Bradford up to speed last year, as he was the TE coach at the time.  That was Scott Turner.  And regardless, there's a huge difference between seeing an offense in meeting rooms and on the tablet...there's executing it and getting in sync with the receivers, none of which he has done in over a year in a different offensive scheme.

Both Zimmer and Bradford have credited Shurmur with helping Bradford get up to speed last year.

Im not trying to suggest that there wouldn’t be any hiccups or miscommunication, there’s bound to be some. But how long do you think it takes a QB to get into sync with his receivers? Keenum has developed a nice chemistry with Thielen and Diggs, but before the week of practice leading up to the Pittsburgh game, Keenum probably had very little practice time throwing to the guys on the 1st team. 

2 hours ago, disaacs said:

I personally don't believe Teddy is anywhere near football shape at this point, so I'm not starting him at all this season.  He may get some reps later in the season in garbage time, but that's all I believe will happen at this point.  If healthy, it's still Bradford, with Keenum as the primary backup and Bridgewater as the 3rd QB.  Teddy's at a tremendous disadvantage, because not only his health is working against him, but the fact that he's never run the Shurmur offense.  

I agree with this.

Teddy hasn't had any practice reps in over a year, and the Vikings have switched back to a WCO in the meantime. And he's not likely to get any first-team reps given the current QB situation.

As much as I'd like to see him come back, the only way Teddy starts this year is if Bradford goes on IR and Shaggy really struggles or gets hurt.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Both Zimmer and Bradford have credited Shurmur with helping Bradford get up to speed last year.

Im not trying to suggest that there wouldn’t be any hiccups or miscommunication, there’s bound to be some. But how long do you think it takes a QB to get into sync with his receivers? Keenum has developed a nice chemistry with Thielen and Diggs, but before the week of practice leading up to the Pittsburgh game, Keenum probably had very little practice time throwing to the guys on the 1st team. 

Fair enough...I know Shurmur helped with translating the offense based upon what Shurmur ran in Philly and St. Louis, but I'm still pretty sure it was Turner doing most of the work with Bradford...so, we're both right.  :)

But, I do think, in general, it takes awhile to get in sync with receivers.  I think Bradford's success last year was an anomaly and shouldn't be expected as the typical performance.  You did reference Keenum...and yes, Keenum looked terrible, but again, he's more familiar with the offense than Teddy.  I just believe that people are expecting too much if they think Teddy is going to be starting anytime soon.  

3 minutes ago, disaacs said:

But, I do think, in general, it takes awhile to get in sync with receivers. 

Teddy does have experience with the top two receivers, so some of that trust doesn't need to built up again that already exists.

4 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I just believe that people are expecting too much if they think Teddy is going to be starting anytime soon.  

I tend to agree with that, but at the same time, Keenum has been over-performing, so we're waiting on that crash back to earth as well. Might not be as obvious though do to the level of defense. If Keenum just looks average and the defense is winning us games, I'd prefer to get Bridgewater up to speed in actual games and let the defense win us games.

Archived