The Return of the Face of the Vikings (Teddy Chronicles)

gopherwrestler

I know I'm in the vast minority but I'm on the ship thinking Case should be our QB as long as we're fighting for the division/playoffs and slowly integrate Teddy onto the field when applicable. As long as Case is getting the job done, I'd rather have Teddy as the #2 and using the rest of the season to find ways to get him on the field rather than taking 2-3 games to get the 25+ games worth of rust off and that costs us some games. 

This isn't your "average" knee injury. There's not many examples of a QB coming back from this kind of injury. We have no idea if he's even going to be a smidgen of what he was before he was injured (which wasn't all that impressive) so I'd so much rather give him the rest of the season to practice and have him as the #1 going into the pre-season.

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Bridgewater will be a free agent regardless. He passed his physical today and was cleared to practice. His contract won’t toll. 

According to the CBA, which might be unclear, it still should toll, but Ian Rapoport stated that his sources indicate that the Vikings aren't going to allow it to toll.  So, I believe that the Vikings are making a clear decision to not negatively impact Teddy because of his character, even though they certainly could.  

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

They should sign him to something like a 3-year deal without a ton of guaranteed money, but lots of playing time escalators. Let him prove himself for 1-2 years, and then go for a longer deal

I think it may end up similar to Mile Glennon's contract. I expect MN to be very inactive in FA given the money that will be paid to keep Teddy and Keenum. I think you've got to keep both.

2 minutes ago, disaacs said:

According to the CBA, which might be unclear, it still should toll, but Ian Rapoport stated that his sources indicate that the Vikings aren't going to allow it to toll.  So, I believe that the Vikings are making a clear decision to not negatively impact Teddy because of his character, even though they certainly could.  

The way I understood Rapoport’s report is that by bringing him off of the PUP, and having him pass a physical, his contract won’t toll. Since he’s physically able to perform his football duties. 

Teams don’t get to choose whether or not the contract tolls, there’s no logic to that and I doubt the NFLPA would have left players exposed like that. Either they activated him off of the PUP list, which means no tolling, or they didn’t activate him off of the PUP list and he immediately would have been sent to IR, which would have meant his contract tolled. 

There was no way to activate him and get the contract to toll. 

35 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Good for the front office!

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

They don’t get to choose whether or not the contract tolls. 

And even if they could, not tolling the contract would be an extremely dumb decision. 

Why is it a dumb decision?  I think it helps the locker room have some faith in the front office.

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Technically, yes, but he’s passed the physical which is the stipulation surrounding the contract tolling or not.

However the wording is, a team doesn’t get to choose whether or not the contract tolls. 

It's now week 7 though. The rule was through week 6.

That's the part that's unclear.

And while they don't choose whether to toll it, they can choose to work out a new deal even if it does toll.

Just now, Virginia Viking said:

Why is it a dumb decision?  I think it helps the locker room have some faith in the front office.

Tolling the contract doesn’t prevent the team and the player from negotiating a big contract extension, but it would give the team insurance and a guarantee that they’d have a starting caliber QB under contract for next year. And why would a team not choose to make sure the player is back for another year? 

Tolling a contract isn’t screwing a player, so why would it negatively impact a locker room? 5th year options are picked up every year, and it doesn’t negatively affect locker rooms. 

2 minutes ago, Klomp said:

And while they don't choose whether to toll it, they can choose to work out a new deal even if it does toll.

Of course they could. I’m simply saying that if the criteria for the contract to toll are met, the contract would toll. A team doesn’t get to choose whether they toll the contract or not. 

Archived