Week 5 Gameday Thread

blkwdw13

4 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I think you have to at least go to a knee. I mean if that's the ruling on the field, I'm fine with it. But reporters are claiming that it was still live, which technically means the Packers had waaay too many men on the field.

Not saying it would've been a fair penalty, just interested in the ruling.

It could get complicated depending on how they felt like calling it. You don't have to go to a knee, but you do have to clearly establish that you're giving yourself up, and that generally involves going to the ground in some form (like the last Packer with the ball did.) The first Packer certainly didn't do that, so everything that happened involving the Cowboys OL forcing a fumble, recovering it, etc., should have counted.

But presumably, both the Cowboys and Packers had at least someone go on the field early. It would be a miracle for only Green Bay to have done it. So you'd get offsetting penalties. If they ruled it happened after the initial turnover, offsetting penalties on the last play of the game where a change of possession occurs before the penalties, does NOT extend the game with another play. So if everyone came on the field after the first time a Packer recovered the ball, you'd have had the turnover stand, offsetting penalties called, but it'd be Packer ball and there'd be no untimed down. It would only matter if only Green Bay players came on the field, or if they came on the field before the first time a Packer possessed the ball.

4 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I think you mean last season... and yes and no.  He was productive between the 20's last season, he had a good number of memorable end zone drops last season, just as he's had this season.

Dude, legit needs to go catch bricks.

I did mean last season, yes. My bad there. But yeah, he's honestly the worst case of drops I can remember in a little while.

4 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

I thought you couldn't advance a fumble in the last two minutes or something?

This is correct. The offense cannot advance a fumble unless the player advancing it is the player who fumbled. However backward passes and fumbles are not the same thing.

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

This is correct. The offense cannot advance a fumble unless the player advancing it is the player who fumbled. However backward passes and fumbles are not the same thing.

Ah gotcha, that one lineman didn't catch the one backward pass cleanly, wasn't sure if that counted as a fumble or not. 

2 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Ah gotcha, that one lineman didn't catch the one backward pass cleanly, wasn't sure if that counted as a fumble or not. 

Nah. A backwards pass can touch the ground, and still be considered live. It's not counted as a fumble until/unless the defense recovers it. I believe a dropped backwards pass is technically considered a muff, not a fumble, which is mostly a matter of semantics, but does matter in terms of the advancement rule because anyone can advance a muffed ball, but not everyone can always advance a fumbled ball. It's weird. Backwards passes/laterals are one of the weird little sections of the rulebook that very subtly covers a lot of different situations.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Janis might be one of the best gunners in the league. Maybe the best.

He is probably the fastest guy on the team (it is a toss up between him and Trevor Davis).  Its too bad he has issues playing WR...

Archived