Frank Gore: HOFer?

MightyMouse07

7 hours ago, CrashMan510 said:

no. never was a HOF level back during his prime

but considering guys like curtis martin and terrelle davis are in....he has a legit shot, especially since hes going to end up really high in the all time rush list

If you don't consider Martin a HOF player, I have to ask what your criteria is?

18 minutes ago, Danger said:

No. Not even a question about it. I don't think he was ever considered a top 3 running back even when he was doing his best. He had 1 really good season, otherwise he was just average and consistent.

That's just slighting him. He was never just "average". He may not have been a top 3 back most years (I think he was in 2006), but average would mean roughly half the starting running backs in the NFL were better than he was, which is just isn't true. 

4 hours ago, sp6488 said:

He has a legit shot.  I wouldn't say it's a travesty were he to get in, but I'm fairly meh on his candidacy.

This is probably the closest opinion to my own. I may be slightly higher than "meh" just from personal investment, but I definitely wouldn't be flabbergasted or upset if he never got in.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's just slighting him. He was never just "average". He may not have been a top 3 back most years (I think he was in 2006), but average would mean roughly half the running backs in the NFL were better than he was, which is just isn't true. 

He averaged more than 4.3 YPC 3 times in his entire career (1 of those was 2006)

He just got fed. A lot. He only scored 10 TD, 1 time in his career. He was a workhorse, but he wasn't a standout.

A hall of famer should be considered far and away one of the top at their position for at least a 4-6 year stretch.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

He averaged more than 4.3 YPC 3 times in his entire career (1 of those was 2006)

He just got fed. A lot. He only scored 10 TD, 1 time in his career. He was a workhorse, but he wasn't a standout.

A hall of famer should be considered far and away one of the top at their position for at least a 4-6 year stretch.

I'm not arguing the hall of fame...I get that anti Gore sentiment in that. I'm talking about classifying him as "average". I mean, he's been good, often very good...average would be more like the Lamar Millers of the world. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm not arguing the hall of fame...I get that anti Gore sentiment in that. I'm talking about classifying him as "average". I mean, he's been good, often very good...average would be more like the Lamar Millers of the world. 

Hence why I called him a workhorse. You can be consistent and productive, but still be average.

Not in my opinion.

I totally disagree with the notion that ironmen should get in. To me the HOF is all about being dominant for a good portion of your career. Gore had one dominant year. Gore was very dependable for a long time but just was never dominant enough for me to say he is worthy of being labeled among the greats

2 hours ago, Carmen Cygni said:

If you don't consider Martin a HOF player, I have to ask what your criteria is?

I think the HOF should be for the all time greats, not guys who were very good for a long time...

-> all time great in your prime
-> And your prime has to be a good amount of time(Terrelle Davis/sterling sharpe didn't do it long enough imo)

Gore, Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin, Curtis Martin, Eli Manning, Tony Dungy..... guys like that had great long careers but at their best they were not HOF level players/coaches. They weren't in the same boat as the All Time Greats.

Frank Gore and Curtis Martin had great careers but they were never at the level of guys like Eric Dickerson, Oj, LT, Marshall Faulk, Adrian Peterson, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders Walter Payton...

11 minutes ago, CrashMan510 said:

I think the HOF should be for the all time greats, not guys who were very good for a long time...

-> all time great in your prime
-> And your prime has to be a good amount of time(Terrelle Davis/sterling sharpe didn't do it long enough imo)

Gore, Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin, Curtis Martin, Eli Manning, Tony Dungy..... guys like that had great long careers but at their best they were not HOF level players/coaches. They weren't in the same boat as the All Time Greats.

Frank Gore and Curtis Martin had great careers but they were never at the level of guys like Eric Dickerson, Oj, LT, Marshall Faulk, Adrian Peterson, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders Walter Payton...

Except  that they are/were . . .https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_career.htm

Archived