Lions Forum Fantasy Baseball Discussion Thread #31

X_Factor_40

On 5/18/2018 at 1:42 PM, The Gnat said:

I'd go with:

Yes

No

However, integrity must be maintained, so for you to draft someone who isn't in the system yet, and if they aren't until point X, you have to leave the roster spot available for them, or if you fill it, you drop them.

Or just create a 3 person additional squad for each team and do a separate draft, while that player is in the minors and not in the system, it's tracked separately for each team. I've heard of leagues that have done that. Once they are added to the system the person who has them has the rights for them but doesn't need to add them to the roster, once the player goes to the majors, they are either added to the person's roster or are a free agent for anyone to pick up (and the person who lost the player from their minor league squad in either case). 

EDITED: I just read through the last couple of pages to see more context, and since we have active owners, I highly recommend (and maybe can be voted on sometime) that we do the minor league/not in system roster. An editable Google Spreadsheet would make it easy.  And if someone is called up, you have 48 hours to add them to your roster and drop someone else or they become a free agent.

So in this system.  Say you add your prospect to the active roster within 48 hours...would you then be able to add another minor player to your inactive roster?  Or is it the three you draft are your three for the year and that is locked??

3 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

So in this system.  Say you add your prospect to the active roster within 48 hours...would you then be able to add another minor player to your inactive roster?  Or is it the three you draft are your three for the year and that is locked??

I'd think there would be a way to replace them. At least that's how it would work in my head, if someone was added to your roster, you could replace them, otherwise have a limited number of prospect moves otherwise, or only have it set in the draft, so it's clearer who is on a roster and easier to track.

13 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I'd think there would be a way to replace them. At least that's how it would work in my head, if someone was added to your roster, you could replace them, otherwise have a limited number of prospect moves otherwise, or only have it set in the draft, so it's clearer who is on a roster and easier to track.

Yea I think as far as the minor roster goes it would be easiest if it was set in place for the season.  You basically get those few roster spots to stash someone you are high on but overall I do not think you should be able to add more to that roster.

My thought would be each team gets say 4-5 spots.  During the year as you call those players up that spot is gone for rest of that season.

That makes sense to me as well.

So the proposal would be:

Minor League Squad
Done part of the other draft for players who aren't on a major league roster. There are 4 roster spots that you can use for prospects.
If a player is called up during the season, you have 48 hours to add them to your ESPN roster and make a corresponding move, or that player becomes a free agent and anyone can grab them.
Players on the minor league squad can be kept, but they then become part of the major league roster and must be able to be kept in ESPN(?)

I've seen a lot of leagues that have minor league squads or "taxi squads". You'll find them more in dynasty leagues, whereas this is really just a keeper league. 

I would welcome the addition, but I'm not sure if it would really help teams stay more competitive or not unless there's a hard limit on how many minor league guys you can have on your whole roster. 

The draft would definitely change with something like this - I like the idea of doing a normal draft and then a minor league one, perhaps even mirroring real MLB where those picks can't be traded. 

Have we ever considered moving toward more of a dynasty-style format, where you hold onto much more of your roster? Right now there are 16 teams with 5 keepers each, so everyone that isn't competing is trying desperately to get those Top 80 players to turn their fortunes around. Everyone wants to get a Trout or Harper or Machado before the other teams do, so teams bloat their rosters with minor league players and young prospects, just hoping that one or two will develop into stars. In a league where you keep more players, depth matters a hell of a lot more, and I think that people are much more hesitant to drop or trade productive players and just hold prospects instead. 

9 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I've seen a lot of leagues that have minor league squads or "taxi squads". You'll find them more in dynasty leagues, whereas this is really just a keeper league. 

I would welcome the addition, but I'm not sure if it would really help teams stay more competitive or not unless there's a hard limit on how many minor league guys you can have on your whole roster. 

The draft would definitely change with something like this - I like the idea of doing a normal draft and then a minor league one, perhaps even mirroring real MLB where those picks can't be traded. 

Have we ever considered moving toward more of a dynasty-style format, where you hold onto much more of your roster? Right now there are 16 teams with 5 keepers each, so everyone that isn't competing is trying desperately to get those Top 80 players to turn their fortunes around. Everyone wants to get a Trout or Harper or Machado before the other teams do, so teams bloat their rosters with minor league players and young prospects, just hoping that one or two will develop into stars. In a league where you keep more players, depth matters a hell of a lot more, and I think that people are much more hesitant to drop or trade productive players and just hold prospects instead. 

I dont know the answer but something needs addressed. Last year produced the fewest teams above .500 in league history in terms of % of teams.  Right now the league is  at 50% but sellers will happen so this number will drop.

Teams above .500

2018- 50% right now but sellers will happen

2017- 43% 

2016- 56%

2015- 50%

2014- 56%

2013- 62%

League only had 12 teams before 2013

2012- 83%  

2011- 66%

2010- 58

As we sit right now it is really competitive but it will start to shift really bad as sellers hit.  There is no incentive to compete and more of incentive to try and land the next prospect.  I am doing something similar with not holding anyone over 26 on my roster but it is hard to land a good young talent and be competitive with such an emphasis on prospects

I'd vote "yes, no" on that ticket.

I'd be into making a dynasty league with all of the same owners, but I believe we've tried it a few times and it never seems to pan out.

On a more selfish note, I really can't decide whether I'd rather have the Jays hurry up and put Vlad at 1B or OF since it seems like where he's going to end up in the majors anyway, or whether I'd prefer they keep working on his defense at 3B. Maybe they should just trade Donaldson and let Vlad get work in at 3rd on the big club. ^_^

6 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I'd be into making a dynasty league with all of the same owners, but I believe we've tried it a few times and it never seems to pan out.

On a more selfish note, I really can't decide whether I'd rather have the Jays hurry up and put Vlad at 1B or OF since it seems like where he's going to end up in the majors anyway, or whether I'd prefer they keep working on his defense at 3B. Maybe they should just trade Donaldson and let Vlad get work in at 3rd on the big club. ^_^

Hes a bust.  You should trade him to me.  You do want Ramirez...lol

Toronto will wait to get that extra year of eligibility 

17 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I’ll trade your pick of players (outside of Arenado and Soto) and picks for him

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

Is this vote for drafting players that aren't in the player pool or for the dynasty league discussion? (which we aren't really voting on yet)

Archived