Lions vs Texans GDT - The Defining Game of the Quinn/Patricia Regime

TL-TwoWinsAway

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

You should be right. I hope you’re right. I don’t expect it though. This is a decision that should’ve been made previously.

Not when they were on a short week and going to be in the national spotlight. I get why they didn't do it this past week. If Patricia had won the game in similar fashion that the Texans did then maybe it would give SFH something to think about. It likely wouldn't have changed the outcome but maybe make the decision slightly more difficult. Instead he's given her every reason to not let him see this out. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

You should be right. I hope you’re right. I don’t expect it though. This is a decision that should’ve been made previously.

As of two games ago (including today's) we were right there in the playoff hunt. It hadn't been pretty and there were a LOT of warts but football has generally been pretty ugly this year. Sheila may have taken Caldwell's 1-7 into 7-9 season into account and chose to remain a bit more patient despite the ugly start. She should be pulling the trigger and starting to move towards a new regime at this point. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Well, it’s on Patricia and Quinn to have a suitable backup. They didn’t.

It is never in the interest of a sports team to lose games. Especially not on a team where apparently the culture was wrong. Drive the team into the ground on the practice field. Coach playing to the whistle, apparently trying to build character yet throw it all out the window because losing is better for the franchise.

No, just no. Losing is never acceptable.

So (to @Nnivolcm and @diehardlionfan), assuming we fire Quinn and Patricia, you think it would be better for the franchise for the team to finish 7-9 than it would be finish 4-12?

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

So (to @Nnivolcm and @diehardlionfan), assuming we fire Quinn and Patricia, you think it would be better for the franchise for the team to finish 7-9 than it would be finish 4-12?

Assuming Quinntricia is gone I'd love to see the team win out, make the playoffs, and win the Superbowl. Heck I'd love to see that if Quinntricia stays too.

I don't know why we're assuming Quintricia is fired. The Fords wouldn't shock me if they gave Quinntricia a COVID mulligan on the 2020 season. 

2 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Assuming Quinntricia is gone I'd love to see the team win out, make the playoffs, and win the Superbowl. Heck I'd love to see that if Quinntricia stays too.

I don't know why we're assuming Quintricia is fired. The Fords wouldn't shock me if they gave Quinntricia a COVID mulligan on the 2020 season. 

My "assuming we fire Quinn and Patricia" was for the hypothetical question I asked. (Although I do think now is the time to move on.)

You didn't answer my question, which is fine. I'll try another angle: assuming the team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, would it be better for the franchise if the team won the rest of their games or lost the rest of their games?

My "assuming we fire Quinn and Patricia" was for the hypothetical question I asked. (Although I do think now is the time to move on.)

You didn't answer my question, which is fine. I'll try another angle: assuming the team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, would it be better for the franchise if the team won the rest of their games or lost the rest of their games?

You're question didn't provide enough info to give an answer. If the Lions are gifted more wins against terrible teams like they were against ATL and WASH I consider those wins pretty meaningless. However, if they manage to put up impressive wins over quality teams after Quinntricia is gone I'd be optimistic we'd be more likely able to court better GM and HC candidates. 

I think hiring the right GM and coach is more important than getting better draft picks for the wrong people to use. Quinntricia is a clear example of that. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

You're question didn't provide enough info to give an answer. If the Lions are gifted more wins against terrible teams like they were against ATL and WASH I consider those wins pretty meaningless. However, if they manage to put up impressive wins over quality teams after Quinntricia is gone I'd be optimistic we'd be more likely able to court better GM and HC candidates. 

I think hiring the right GM and coach is more important than getting better draft picks for the wrong people to use. Quinntricia is a clear example of that. 

You really think that a few meaningless wins with an interim head coach would help "court better GM and HC candidates" than better draft capital? I completely disagree.

4 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

"I really hope we lose the rest of our games. Getting a higher draft pick is better for this franchise."

"We lost the rest of our games! What a terrible coach!"

We want a higher draft pick because we're bad. We're bad because we have a bad coach. The coach isn't trying to lose games. I don't follow your logic here. Just because I want us to have a better draft pick does not mean the coach should be actively losing games or should be forgiven for his ineptitude.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

We want a higher draft pick because we're bad. We're bad because we have a bad coach. The coach isn't trying to lose games. I don't follow your logic here. Just because I want us to have a better draft pick does not mean the coach should be actively losing games or should be forgiven for his ineptitude.

"We're bad because we have a bad coach". It's certainly part of it, but Quinn is NOT a good GM. He's in that mix as well.

Although Patricia obviously wasn't trying to lose games in 2019, they did nothing at the trade deadline to overcome Stafford's injury. They ran Driskel or Blough onto the field each week, fully aware that neither player gave them a legitimate chance to win. I thought that was the right approach.

Teams do this all the time: "we're going to see what this young guy has to offer". They know that the "young guy" isn't better than the veteran, and doesn't give them a better chance to win, and that's exactly the point: lose games, see if the young guy is worth keeping around, get a better draft pick.

(Lastly, if I want my team to lose to obtain better draft capital, I won't then get mad at the coach for losing. He's doing exactly what I want him to do.)

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

5 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

None of this matters. Another 40 burger against the defense with another loss in a national spotlight. 

Matt Patricia (and likely Bob Quinn too) will be announced to be fired this evening or tomorrow. There's an extended break between today and our game vs the Bears. 

Ownership has to do this if they want to retain the bulk of the fanbase. 

But our best WR and RB are hurt so it doesn’t count right? Should give him another year right? 

Nope, no more years.

Why does this count but not last year? Both years our top offensive weapons were hurt which must have caused our D to struggle so bad they were only better than our 0-16 team yet one shouldn’t count against him. I mean when Kenny Golladay plays we win, and Swift was looking better so maybe we should wait and see if his D gets better when they come back.  

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Why does this count but not last year? Both years our top offensive weapons were hurt which must have caused our D to struggle so bad they were only better than our 0-16 team yet one shouldn’t count against him. I mean when Kenny Golladay plays we win, and Swift was looking better so maybe we should wait and see if his D gets better when they come back.  

I know this was not directed at me, but I was one who wanted to see what would happen this year with Quintricia. I thought it possible the Lions tried to tank, however unlikely. After the off season I leaned heavily to they don't know what they are doing. After the first 3 games, it was confirmed they suck.

So for me, year two was given the benefit of the doubt. Year three is a confirmation of, nope they're really bad.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I've absolutely beaten this poor, poor horse, but I'll give it another shot. Ready?

This is Patricia's third year.

I believe that a coach should be given three years. I believed that when we hired him, I said that repeatedly this off-season, and I said it this year as well.

It's also nothing close to last year, in terms of injuries. We have our starting QB. We have weapons, even without Golladay and Swift. If we don't have enough weapons, entering year three of Patricia and year five of Quinn, I blame both of them, and both of them should go. (They both probably should anyway.)

• Like 1