Lions vs Texans GDT - The Defining Game of the Quinn/Patricia Regime

TL-TwoWinsAway

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Woah. "Historically" bad defense? Is this the part of the conversation where you start making stuff up? What part of our defense was "historically" bad?

Play calls? On offense?

Then we include all context. Two of our early season losses were extremely close losses against two of the better teams in the NFL, and five of our eight "backup QB" losses were by 8 or fewer points. We were highly competitive with some really mediocre QBs. He should get credit for that, too.

The 423 points scored were 4th worst in Detroit Lions history. The 6,406 yards against were third worst in Detroit Lions history.  The only years worse in points and yards against were the 0-16 season and the year prior.  That is historically bad.  

is what I don’t get is that the fans see it, the local media sees it, the national media sees it, and you just continue to pretend like his failures shouldn’t be held against him.  If he can fix things and not make the same mistakes fine, but we are on pace to be just as bad defensively this year with Stafford so he isn’t getting better.  Make up all the context and pick and choose the games that make your argument but when you put it all together, he is a failure no matter how you look at it.  It’s like your arguing just to be a contrarian now, which wouldn’t be out of character. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The 423 points scored were 4th worst in Detroit Lions history. The 6,406 yards against were third worst in Detroit Lions history.  The only years worse in points and yards against were the 0-16 season and the year prior.  That is historically bad.  

is what I don’t get is that the fans see it, the local media sees it, the national media sees it, and you just continue to pretend like his failures shouldn’t be held against him.  If he can fix things and not make the same mistakes fine, but we are on pace to be just as bad defensively this year with Stafford so he isn’t getting better.  Make up all the context and pick and choose the games that make your argument but when you put it all together, he is a failure no matter how you look at it.  It’s like your arguing just to be a contrarian now, which wouldn’t be out of character. 

Oh. In our history, and not even the worst in our history.

Since when don't I want his failures held against him? Is Patricia a failure as a head coach? Absolutely. Should he be fired after this game, assuming we lose? Absolutely.

I just don't believe that you fire a head coach entering his third season, especially after losing his best player for half of his second season. I have said the entire time: you give a coach at least three years. This is his third. He hasn't gotten results, and we now have an extended period between games. It's time to move on.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

When 1) the best player missed half of the season, and 2) losing was better for the franchise? Why would doing what's best for the franchise be a negative against a head coach?

1. Yes

2. Winning games would have been what's best for the franchise. Moving on from Quinntricia would have been the 2nd best option for the franchise. 

19 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

When 1) the best player missed half of the season, and 2) losing was better for the franchise? Why would doing what's best for the franchise be a negative against a head coach?

Well, it’s on Patricia and Quinn to have a suitable backup. They didn’t.

It is never in the interest of a sports team to lose games. Especially not on a team where apparently the culture was wrong. Drive the team into the ground on the practice field. Coach playing to the whistle, apparently trying to build character yet throw it all out the window because losing is better for the franchise.

No, just no. Losing is never acceptable.

Edited by diehardlionfan

None of this matters. Another 40 burger against the defense with another loss in a national spotlight. 

Matt Patricia (and likely Bob Quinn too) will be announced to be fired this evening or tomorrow. There's an extended break between today and our game vs the Bears. 

Ownership has to do this if they want to retain the bulk of the fanbase. 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

None of this matters. Another 40 burger against the defense with another loss in a national spotlight. 

Matt Patricia (and likely Bob Quinn too) will be announced to be fired this evening or tomorrow. There's an extended break between today and our game vs the Bears. 

Ownership has to do this if they want to retain the bulk of the fanbase. 

You should be right. I hope you’re right. I don’t expect it though. This is a decision that should’ve been made previously.

• Like 1