Lions vs Texans GDT - The Defining Game of the Quinn/Patricia Regime

TL-TwoWinsAway

I rarely make GDTs, but I figured I'd give this one a shot. Not because it's Thanksgiving, and not because I think we'll win or anything, but because of how this game will define the Lions' franchise moving forward. I believe that this game will determine whether Patricia finishes the season as head coach of the Detroit Lions.

If the Lions are able to win this game, I believe Patricia will stay until the end of the season: they'll have a 5-6 record with winnable games against the Bears, Vikings and Buccaneers remaining. An 8-8 record may get this team into the expanded playoffs, and will likely keep Patricia in Detroit into the 2021 season. Anything less than 8-8 will likely mean that they part ways with Patricia after the season, but he'll still have those games to coach.

But, man... if Patricia is unable to motivate and inspire this group after that embarrassing performance against the 4-7 Panthers - a team that was without CMC and that gave Walked his first career start - there's really no saving him. There will be no more defending him, if a defense of Patricia is even possible at this point. And SFH will have the extended gap between games to make the move make sense.

Here it is, Matt Patricia: win or go home. (Literally.)

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I rarely make GDTs, but I figured I'd give this one a shot. Not because it's Thanksgiving, and not because I think we'll win or anything, but because of how this game will define the Lions' franchise moving forward. I believe that this game will determine whether Patricia finishes the season as head coach of the Detroit Lions.

If the Lions are able to win this game, I believe Patricia will stay until the end of the season: they'll have a 5-6 record with winnable games against the Bears, Vikings and Buccaneers remaining. An 8-8 record may get this team into the expanded playoffs, and will likely keep Patricia in Detroit into the 2021 season. Anything less than 8-8 will likely mean that they part ways with Patricia after the season, but he'll still have those games to coach.

But, man... if Patricia is unable to motivate and inspire this group after that embarrassing performance against the 4-7 Panthers - a team that was without CMC and that gave Walked his first career start - there's really no saving him. There will be no more defending him, if a defense of Patricia is even possible at this point. And SFH will have the extended gap between games to make the move make sense.

Here it is, Matt Patricia: win or go home. (Literally.)

I don't know if Patricia would be given the chance to come back even if he finishes 8-8. I doubt that he will get there, so it's probably a moot point anyway. However, this last game is indicative of the current state of the team. While no one is going to the pro bowl anytime soon, Marvin Jones, TJ Hockenson, Marvin Hall, Jamal Agnew and Quintez Cephus should be enough to move the chains. Either AP or Kerryon should be able to provide SOMETHING of a run game. The defense should be able to mix things up enough to give a guy in his first start some trouble, yet PJ Walker looked like the 12 year vet out there with a big arm. 

A meaningless win against the Texans is only going to delay the inevitable. Even if the wins weren't there but you could see things clicking together, guys fighting for each other and the coaching staff you'd have something to hold onto. The offense couldn't make plays, the defense got worn out and they just got steamrolled by a bunch of backups. 

If they can't get up for this game then idk what the Lions are doing. I think he'll be fired that Friday if they lose terrible and the team looks bad.

I expect them to play competitive though, they're on the national spotlight. Teams/players don't want to get embarrassed. People have pride. Obviously based off many years of post and banter, I'm not going to be upset if they lose badly and the house is swept that friday. 

Edited by SimbaWho

So the Lions play a nationally televised game against another bad team. Great product the NFL is going to showcase. Two incompetent organizations square off in what should be a meaningless game. The Lions organization doesn’t deserve a Thanksgiving game and the NFL should’ve taken it away. Perhaps the NFL could help motivate ownership to get the team respectable.

Last weeks game should’ve been the final straw for Patricia but when your buddy is your boss nothing happens.

He stood on the sidelines, hands in pocket, looking bewildered. It’s pretty obvious he has come to the realization his methodology doesn’t work. He had no answers. His media pressers he gave the same old B.S. answers looking like a deer in the headlights. 

From opening kickoff the Lions weren’t right. They looked gassed or simply disinterested. It was striking to me. A team with everything to play for. A team that’s played poorly still had an opportunity to get to a .500 record. Nope, instead they stunk out the joint and lost to a team battling injuries with a QB in his first NFL start. Sadly it wasn’t even close. The Lions were favoured going into the game and got blown out. 

Most sports organizations learn early on its easier to fire a coach than replace groups of players whom the coach has clashes with. Once again the Lions go out of their way to learn something they should’ve known all along. 

Tomorrows game should have ZERO impact on Patricia’s future. His performance has been there for everyone to see and one game doesn’t indicate he’s suddenly become a flexible coach with an arsenal of tools to extract the best performance from his players. Quite contrary he’s shown an inability to make tactical adjustments, inability to scheme against opponents and zero ability to coach to player strengths. Heck, the Lions staff can’t even get the right amount of players on the field. His mistakes are those of an inexperienced coach. He came in with zero HC experience and it shows. He also hasn’t  progressed. 

Patricia, Quinn, Wood all need to be removed from the organization and the sooner it happens the better the organization will be for it. Of course it won’t happen. I suspect it won’t even happen following the season. The Lions have a long history of hiring incompetent, inexperienced people then rewarding incompetence by keeping them employed. It’s a theme amongst the coaching staff as well. Patricia and his culture change makes me wonder what’s changed. Players that played at a high level traded while players that can’t get the job done are rewarded, regardless of performance. 

Every single aspect of this team has been turned into a dumpster fire by the Patriots posse. What’s been done by Quinn and Patricia is ridiculous. 

At this point, I do not want to see anything that prolongs this nightmare... Unless that something is, the light bulb switching on and us steamrolling the rest of the league and win the Superbowl as a 10-6 wild card.. Then I would be fine with this regime sticking around. Since that will not be happening, the sooner we can move forward with trying find a competent GM and HC, the better in my opinion. It also looks like a nice QB class this year. Thinking it is time to turn the page and trade Staff to a contender... I dont know s**t though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

At this point, I do not want to see anything that prolongs this nightmare... Unless that something is, the light bulb switching on and us steamrolling the rest of the league and win the Superbowl as a 10-6 wild card.. Then I would be fine with this regime sticking around. Since that will not be happening, the sooner we can move forward with trying find a competent GM and HC, the better in my opinion. It also looks like a nice QB class this year. Thinking it is time to turn the page and trade Staff to a contender... I dont know s**t though.

I agree on the Stafford trade. I love the guy. He's not been perfect but he has carried this train wreck of a team on his back for 12 years and has the injuries to prove it. 

I don't know much about the guy from Pittsburgh (Omar Khan) as a GM candidate but if the plan is to bring in someone a) from an organization with a history of success; b) bring in a culture change that will actually work... the Steelers would be a really good organization to try and build off of. 

Maybe someone like Keith Butler. While a lot of the success probably should go to Tomlin, Butler is the DC for the #1 defense in the NFL YTD. He was the longtime heir to Lebeau. Downside is that he's 64 and has never been a HC. 

Hoping for a real performance today from Patty Ice and crew that'll usher in the new GM and start the Tony Dungy era!  35-16. Total dominance from Houston. 

IF Stafford doesn't start to actually play good, the return in a trade for him will/is starting to look less than stellar, might have to settle for something like multiple 3rd rounders in different years.

Ex: 3rd, 6th, 2022 3rd for Stafford. 

Then you circle the wagons again, is that even worth it? I mean, Stafford gone, there really isn't a foundation to work with here for a new GM. Do they sign that guy maybe? Is that player even available. Few pieces to work with like 3/5 spots on the Oline, Swift, few others examples but not one franchise type guy. The new GM's job is to secure a franchise type guy somehow, this year, next year, sooner the better. So many holes, outside of now adding a starting/franchise QB if Stafford is gone. 

Tall task/job for the next hire. Hopefully they don't hire a dud cause it's a tough road for even a really good GM. 

Edited by SimbaWho

Happy Thanksgiving, ladies and gents - hope you have a wonderful day with good family and better food. 

Let's hope for a great game - neither side has much to play for, but the pride of playing on such a holiday. Here's to safe, injury free Football!