From "The Guy of the Guy"

KingTitan

2 hours ago, VY-FTW said:

Yeah but I think the market is high for him. Which will raise the price. Idk I think he fixes the offense. Gets number 1s off of Corey. Downfield threat who is good with jump balls. Brings the fire. And as of right now no one respects Sharpe or Taylor and the running game is suffering. Tate pulls someone out the box and we got fowler back. And we could always re sign him. 

Brian Billick was on the 104.5 the zone last week and he said something that I thought was profound and it was something along the lines of

'Need makes for a poor talent evaluator and a terrible negotiator'.

Tate is not the type of WR who takes the top off a defense. He's a high end possession WR. He's not pulling a safety out of the box. 

Now I love the idea of signing a guy like Tate in the offseason, but Golden Tate doesn't turn this team into a contender in week 9. Unless its a 5th or later, Jon Robinson would be foolish to trade for Tate and even then only if he signs some sort of extension. Draft picks are too valuable to risk on a 30 year old WR who will be a FA in a few months.

In other news... There's a rumor floating on Twitter of a Donta Hightower for Golden Tate trade. Considering the parts involved, it makes sense. And Donta Hightower is a healthy scratch in tonight's MNF game. 

Oh man... Tate could be a possibility... At oz also taking up that name... 

So what would it take to land Tate, a Hendersonville native?

According to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero it would likely take a fourth round draft pick.

He's a FA next year, so it'd make sense the money guys are trying to work on an extension. A franchise tag would probably be about 15,so an extension is ideal. I've been teetering from Parker and Tate as my favorite target...

This would be amazing though... 

https://atozsportsnashville.com/potential-tennessee-titans-trade-target-take-deal-golden-tate/

I would argue that a reliable possession WR is just as much of a need as a reliable deep threat. Either one would help the offense tremendously. We're one of the most blitzed offenses in the NFL, and while I'm sure there's a multitude of factors that go in to that, one of the biggest reasons why is we literally no one who consistently gets separation off the line of scrimmage and gives Mariota a quick throw to beat the blitz. Corey Davis is the only guy who even comes close to being that and we've all seen he's yet to show the consistency in that. And even if he did, you can just look at the Bills game and see what happens when DBs can just prioritize stopping just him and making the other WRs beat them.

I know we're all happy with Tajae Sharpe's game vs the Chargers and it was nice, but let us remember that game vs the Chargers is the first time since week 1 of 2016 that he'd cracked 70 receiving yards.

Having a guy like Tate who DBs know can beat them off the line consistently opens up things for Davis, Sharpe and Taylor, takes some of the blitzes off of Mariota, and with DBs cheating down to help cover Tate, opens up more opportunities for deep shots. It also can cause the opposing defenses to have their linebackers drop back in more zones to cover the underneath stuff, which can help open up running lanes as LBs aren't just pinning their ears back knowing they don't have to worry about anyone on the short to intermediate.

Whether it's Tate or Jackson or any other type of a receiver, I think an acquisition is a must for this offense. Give something for the defenses to have to worry about so the rest of the offense can open up. Them being able to just send their LBs after Mariota and our RBs is going to consistently result in sputtering offensive play.

42 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Tate is not the type of WR who takes the top off a defense. He's a high end possession WR. He's not pulling a safety out of the box. 

He's exactly what we need... He fills the void left by Walker and Matthews... 

Davis should be the guy defenses should be concerned about beating them deep... Middle... And short. 

Tate gives Mariota that dependable safety valve we so sorely lack. 

8 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

He's exactly what we need... He fills the void left by Walker and Matthews... 

Davis should be the guy defenses should be concerned about beating them deep... Middle... And short. 

Tate gives Mariota that dependable safety valve we so sorely lack. 

Oh I agree, which is why I say I love Tate as an offseason signing. However he was implying that Tate's presence would help the running game by pulling a safety out of the box. Thats not what Golden Tate does.

12 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I would argue that a reliable possession WR is just as much of a need as a reliable deep threat. Either one would help the offense tremendously. We're one of the most blitzed offenses in the NFL, and while I'm sure there's a multitude of factors that go in to that, one of the biggest reasons why is we literally no one who consistently gets separation off the line of scrimmage and gives Mariota a quick throw to beat the blitz. Corey Davis is the only guy who even comes close to being that and we've all seen he's yet to show the consistency in that. And even if he did, you can just look at the Bills game and see what happens when DBs can just prioritize stopping just him and making the other WRs beat them.

I know we're all happy with Tajae Sharpe's game vs the Chargers and it was nice, but let us remember that game vs the Chargers is the first time since week 1 of 2016 that he'd cracked 70 receiving yards.

Having a guy like Tate who DBs know can beat them off the line consistently opens up things for Davis, Sharpe and Taylor, takes some of the blitzes off of Mariota, and with DBs cheating down to help cover Tate, opens up more opportunities for deep shots. It also can cause the opposing defenses to have their linebackers drop back in more zones to cover the underneath stuff, which can help open up running lanes as LBs aren't just pinning their ears back knowing they don't have to worry about anyone on the short to intermediate.

Whether it's Tate or Jackson or any other type of a receiver, I think an acquisition is a must for this offense. Give something for the defenses to have to worry about so the rest of the offense can open up. Them being able to just send their LBs after Mariota and our RBs is going to consistently result in sputtering offensive play.

My rebuttal to that... Isn't part of that on the OC and QB? One of my beefs with Lefluer is the lack of hot routes and blitz beaters. IMO Deon Lewis should help alot with beating blitzes. It was one of his biggest strengths in New England. Why isn't he being utilized more in those fashions? I really believe Lefluer is going thru as much of a learning curve as anyone else. Everyone knows his coaching tree, but forget he has very little actual experience as an OC. He's only been a OC for 25 games and a play caller for 8.

The other issue is how defenses play us. I mentioned a few days ago how Mariota doesn't throw outside the numbers with consistency. When teams don't fear that, their corners can afford to take more chances close to the line to take away quick throws. It also means safeties can play shallower and can take away those crossers.

Its a chicken and egg situation, its tough to know the true cause of the offensive struggles. Like anytime Marcus takes a sack or scrambles, we assume its because WR's aren't getting open. The drops in crucial situations kinda cements that in some fans minds. The WR's don't deserve ANY slack, but i believe that another big part of the issue is Mariota not seeing open WR's and not consistently attempting the tougher throws that good QB's complete. i remember one of the sacks he took in the Ravens game, they showed an  behind the QB shot and you could see Tajae flash open briefly in a zone between two defenders over the middle. Now it would have been a tight window, it would have taken a great throw, but a franchise QB steps up in the pocket and threads that needle. Marcus pulled the ball down, stopped looking downfield, and in the next moment he got engulfed. Now my question is does he still hang onto that ball if Tate runs that route? Does he not make that throw because he doesn't trust the WR? Doesn't trust himself to make the throw? Or does he just not see the WR break open into the zone? 

I also don't know why people think the Lions wanna trade an offensive weapon for a late round pick so bad?

They have the same record as we do. I don't think the Lions have given up for this season. They likely see themselves as contenders, even if this fanbase doesn't. That's why the rumored Hightower/Tate trade makes more sense.

The same is true with Tampa and Desean Jackson. Their HC is coaching for his life. I doubt they're really selling either. And if they are, they might as well fire Koetter now. 

Edited by Chocolateman78

26 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I also don't know why people think the Lions wanna trade an offensive weapon for a late round pick so bad?

They have the same record as we do. I don't think the Lions have given up for this season. They likely see themselves as contenders, even if this fanbase doesn't. That's why the rumored Hightower/Tate trade makes more sense.

The same is true with Tampa and Desean Jackson. Their HC is coaching for his life. I doubt they're really selling either. And if they are, they might as well fire Koetter now. 

For the Lions, they're pretty well stacked with weapons, and I assume they feel the 4th they could get for Tate now is better than the 4th or 5th they'd get as a compensatory pick when he leaves in FA.

Could argue the same case in Tampa as well, but they've got issues from HC to QB to maybe the worst defense in football right now, so I doubt they feel they're contending for much, and wanna get as much out of DJax as they can.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

For the Lions, they're pretty well stacked with weapons, and I assume they feel the 4th they could get for Tate now is better than the 4th or 5th they'd get as a compensatory pick when he leaves in FA.

Could argue the same case in Tampa as well, but they've got issues from HC to QB to maybe the worst defense in football right now, so I doubt they feel they're contending for much, and wanna get as much out of DJax as they can.

If you're stacked with weapons, you don't trade one mid season when you're competing in a division with Aaron Rodgers. The goal is to have depth.

And as I said the HC is tying to win to keep his job, if the GM aint on board with that they might as well fire the HC now.

It just feels like Titans fans, and beat writers just pick teams and assume they aren't contending and therefore are willing to trade people.

I mean if some others teams beat writer speculated that their team could get Wesley woodard for a 5th because we were 2 games behind Houston in the division and likely aren't contending for much, people on this forum would lose it.

Yeah I've just been hyped on everyone cause WE NEEEEEED someone. 

Like someone above said. Corey is the guy. Just need a guy on the other side that can catch and at least make DBs respect him somewhat. 

Im not buying Sharpes chargers game and Taylor just hasn't got it yet. I do feel down the line he'll be a good player for us.

Idk my gut says we wont get anyone and just ride the season out. God I miss Walker :(