From "The Guy of the Guy"

KingTitan

I mean, they have to spend the money on someone.

I'd prefer the big swing to be a multiyear deal on a young, good player, but Ridley works for me.  22-24 million a year isn't going to be a ton on a receiver by 2025.

5 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Oh my gosh y’all overreact to everything y’all act as if a player not allowed to have a bad yr, yes he wasn’t good but sure wasn’t bad, but let’s put it all in perspective to why he wasn’t great, came off a 1yr suspension, new offensive system & QB, it’s a thing call timing & knocking off rust. If you wouldn’t want Ridley, 1 of the best route runners in the league a guy that played his best ball in the shanahan offense 😮‍💨. I’ll take Ridley over trading for Higgins any day of the week. 

He's not going to be worth the price it'll take to sign him, IMO. That's why I don't want him. He wasn't good and he'll cost a lot of money. What a recipe for success!

He hasn't had a good season since 2020 and you're acting like I'm saying we shouldn't sign prime Randy Moss. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to rebound, but I certainly wouldn't bet $20+ million a year on it.

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

He's not going to be worth the price it'll take to sign him, IMO. That's why I don't want him. He wasn't good and he'll cost a lot of money. What a recipe for success!

He hasn't had a good season since 2020 and you're acting like I'm saying we shouldn't sign prime Randy Moss. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to rebound, but I certainly wouldn't bet $20+ million a year on it.

he had 1000+ yards and 8 touchdowns last year. if that's "not good" i'm not sure what the standard is supposed to be here. of course he won't be worth the money he gets, but....welcome to free agency. he's 29 and won't get a long-term deal, so the money we spend on him won't be an issue if we actually right the ship and have some young home-grown talent to extend in a few years. i don't feel particularly passionate about signing him or not signing him, but the money's gotta go somewhere and we have an absolute vacuum at receiver behind hopkins.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

he had 1000+ yards and 8 touchdowns last year. if that's "not good" i'm not sure what the standard is supposed to be here. of course he won't be worth the money he gets, but....welcome to free agency. he's 29 and won't get a long-term deal, so the money we spend on him won't be an issue if we actually right the ship and have some young home-grown talent to extend in a few years. i don't feel particularly passionate about signing him or not signing him, but the money's gotta go somewhere and we have an absolute vacuum at receiver behind hopkins.

I don't know man, I hear Kyle Phillips is gonna do big things in training camp.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

Thank you cause I wasn’t going to respond I realized me being an a$$ rub people wrong when I get smart. Glad to see someone gets it. 

Can't be mad about us looking into Ridley...I suppose he would cost a pretty penny, but how can we critique investing more in what has pretty much always been our weakest position? He's a low level #1 / high level #2....so basically adding a younger, more explosive D-Hop into the fold. 

If we do sign Ridley, I'd still hope to invest our first or second into WR. I think Bowers becomes a real option at 7 if we do sign Ridley. I think we're definitely strongly considering him now, but think that priorities would shift if we sign Ridley (not that I necessarily agree w/ that).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don't know man, I hear Kyle Phillips is gonna do big things in training camp.

Right we’re banking on Philips & burks to contribute while also trying to develop our QB & take advantage of him on a rookie deal a 2nd round bargain at that, let’s just play it safe, or trade draft capital for Higgins or Aiyuk & have to pay them more it’s not a huge drop off from Ridley & Higgins

Edited by TitanRedd

2 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Can't be mad about us looking into Ridley...I suppose he would cost a pretty penny, but how can we critique investing more in what has pretty much always been our weakest position? He's a low level #1 / high level #2....so basically adding a younger, more explosive D-Hop into the fold. 

If we do sign Ridley, I'd still hope to invest our first or second into WR. I think Bowers becomes a real option at 7 if we do sign Ridley. I think we're definitely strongly considering him now, but think that priorities would shift if we sign Ridley (not that I necessarily agree w/ that).

The man was out of football for a yr, had to learn an entire new system plus adjust to a new QB & he still managed to put up over a 1k yards & 8 TD’s H. E. Double hockey stick, did the raiders get any kind of production out of Randy Moss before he was traded to NE. 😮‍💨😩

The only reason I'm not completely in or Ridley is his age and our window. We already have an over 30 WR (he's still good I know) but we aren't likely competing this season. I'd rather spend the money trying to fill in some gaps on the oline, a WR 3 type guy that can slot in as a WR2 in case of injury. Then draft a WR in the first 2 rounds. But if Ridley is brought in I can't nor should you be upset or against the move. 

4 minutes ago, MdTitansFan56 said:

The only reason I'm not completely in or Ridley is his age and our window. We already have an over 30 WR (he's still good I know) but we aren't likely competing this season. I'd rather spend the money trying to fill in some gaps on the oline, a WR 3 type guy that can slot in as a WR2 in case of injury. Then draft a WR in the first 2 rounds. But if Ridley is brought in I can't nor should you be upset or against the move. 

We may not be contending but I sure as hell expect us to be contending, yes almost 30 with a yr off from football an WR’s don’t fall off a cliff right at 30, I see your point make sense sort of, but I rather surround Levis with this best talent available to see what type of QB we have while he’s on a dirt cheap deal without a 5th yr option. We need like someone said low end #1’s top end # 2s 

3 hours ago, -Hope- said:

He had okay bulk numbers, but pretty poor efficiency numbers. And it's not like it was a slow start and he got better later in the season.

I get that some people are on the "Well, we have to spend that money somewhere", but that doesn't mean we have to severely overpay for someone and tie up money, even if for only a couple years. Roll the cap space or invest it in better talent elsewhere on the roster.

I'd rather spend less on Marquis Brown or Darnell Mooney, who I think can give us 80-90% of the production in this offense for 50% the cost, and roll some of that cap space to next year as opposed to spending it just to spend it.

15 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

He had okay bulk numbers, but pretty poor efficiency numbers. And it's not like it was a slow start and he got better later in the season.

I get that some people are on the "Well, we have to spend that money somewhere", but that doesn't mean we have to severely overpay for someone and tie up money, even if for only a couple years. Roll the cap space or invest it in better talent elsewhere on the roster.

I'd rather spend less on Marquis Brown or Darnell Mooney, who I think can give us 80-90% of the production in this offense for 50% the cost, and roll some of that cap space to next year as opposed to spending it just to spend it.

Again he was out of football for a yr, & played in a new system with a new QB, Trevor Lawrence himself had a down yr, & there’s plenty of film of him missing wide open throws to Ridley. He still can catch the football, get open as he’s 1 of the best route runners in the game & he offers versatility he can play inside & out. With the salary cap rising nearly 10–15 mill every yr unless we have another pandemic, 20-22 mill annually isn’t a big deal. It’s him or Higgins for me but Higgins will cost Draft compensation 

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

if you're going to ding ridley for not having a good season in a few years but then expect that we're going to be able to almost match his production with guys who have been even less productive in recent years, i don't think this conversation is going anywhere.

50 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Again he was out of football for a yr, & played in a new system with a new QB, Trevor Lawrence himself had a down yr, & there’s plenty of film of him missing wide open throws to Ridley. He still can catch the football, get open as he’s 1 of the best route runners in the game & he offers versatility he can play inside & out. With the salary cap rising nearly 10–15 mill every yr unless we have another pandemic, 20-22 mill annually isn’t a big deal. It’s him or Higgins for me but Higgins will cost Draft compensation 

I get that, but when you're so far removed from being a true impact player, I have serious reservations about someone finding that level again.

I get the cap keeps going up, and we have the money to overpay Ridley and it not kill us or anything, but I'm just not a fan of his and think we can get a similar impact from a player making much less, which frees up more money for other positions or for next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

if you're going to ding ridley for not having a good season in a few years but then expect that we're going to be able to almost match his production with guys who have been even less productive in recent years, i don't think this conversation is going anywhere.

They had half the targets, and much worse QB situations. Mooney especially is someone I think can be a true reclamation project at half the cost.

In a Titans vacuum for next year in 3 different universes, if all 3 of Ridley, Brown, and Mooney play the same position and get the same targets, I don't think Ridley would outproduce the other 2 by $5-10 million worth. Not even close.

I'm just not a big Ridley fan. I don't think it'd be some huge sunk cost, but I don't think he's a guy you outbid others for that takes you out of the running for impact players at other positions if need.