From "The Guy of the Guy"

KingTitan

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I'll rephrase "bad game" to "bad game for a tackle we're considering 7th overall."  I would agree it's not a bad game overall.

I agree not every one of those was Latham's fault.  And a lot are probably scheme issues.  I have him graded as a first rounder.  I'm not saying he's a crappy player.  I'm saying he's pretty clearly inferior to other tackles we'd have the option to pick, in my opinion, and I highlighted every single play I thought could be viewed as a negative.

But all three missed blocks on Ford are his fault.  He completely miffed two of the second level blocks he was asked to make, and there weren't that many.  He got beaten on the Edge, straight up, twice, on the inside once, and beaten by power once.  That's if you assume 100 percent of the maybe schemed that way plays are not his fault.  Milroe's issues too.  And that's not getting into his tendency to give up on blocks in this game, or the fact that he's clearly got conditioning issues imo if he's not doing any athletic testing.

And part of being an elite prospect is being able to make up for the mistakes of players around you.  In previous breakdowns of Alt and Fashanu that I've posted (iirc) there's good tape of them doing that.

We trade down to the teens and get Latham, I'll be pretty happy.  We take him over at three guys that I think are out and out better than him at the same position, I won't be.

I can dig that, but I still think you're not putting many of the negatives you see in proper context. I'm not going to go through the whole breakdown, but a few things that popped up to me:

4:05 - ok, you can argue he gives up some space to the initial bull rush, but the pass rusher finishes the rep on the ground, and if Milroe has any space to step up into the pocket, the DE gets ran off the arc completely and feels the ground before he can ever sniff the QB. 

8:45 - yes, he gives up initial ground, but he regains his anchor and he saves the sack by moving off the DL just enough so Milroe can climb in the pocket. I'm not sure the DE even touches Milroe. You can't just highlight the negative of the rep while completely ignoring the positive. That type of strength to recover and reset his anchor even while losing the rep is what's special about him, and not that usual.

Also, it's way tougher on him to overcome the mistakes of those around him, in this case Milroe as I take it we're still pointing out, because unlike Alt and Fashanu, he plays on the right side for a right-handed QB. By nature, a right-handed QB will look to escape to his right if that's available, and as you pointed out, yes, that puts him in a tough spot a few times, especially in this game. For once because it's hard, while engaged with a DL, to tell when the play breaks down behind you and the QB is bailing out of the pocket, and secondly because once that happens you lose all leverage. Fautanu, though playing LT as well, blocked for a left-handed QB. Pull up 'Troy Fautanu vs Texas' on youtube and you'll see him "giving up" on scrambles and runs out of the pocket, as well.

And yes, I wouldn't feel 100% comfortable with him at 7 either, I'm just pointing out while someone else might.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrei01 said:

I can dig that, but I still think you're not putting many of the negatives you see in proper context. I'm not going to go through the whole breakdown, but a few things that popped up to me:

4:05 - ok, you can argue he gives up some space to the initial bull rush, but the pass rusher finishes the rep on the ground, and if Milroe has any space to step up into the pocket, the DE gets ran off the arc completely and feels the ground before he can ever sniff the QB. 

8:45 - yes, he gives up initial ground, but he regains his anchor and he saves the sack by moving off the DL just enough so Milroe can climb in the pocket. I'm not sure the DE even touches Milroe. You can't just highlight the negative of the rep while completely ignoring the positive. That type of strength to recover and reset his anchor even while losing the rep is what's special about him, and not that usual.

Also, it's way tougher on him to overcome the mistakes of those around him, in this case Milroe as I take it we're still pointing out, because unlike Alt and Fashanu, he plays on the right side for a right-handed QB. By nature, a right-handed QB will look to escape to his right if that's available, and as you pointed out, yes, that puts him in a tough spot a few times, especially in this game. For once because it's hard, while engaged with a DL, to tell when the play breaks down behind you and the QB is bailing out of the pocket, and secondly because once that happens you lose all leverage. Fautanu, though playing LT as well, blocked for a left-handed QB. Pull up 'Troy Fautanu vs Texas' on youtube and you'll see him "giving up" on scrambles and runs out of the pocket, as well.

And yes, I wouldn't feel 100% comfortable with him at 7 either, I'm just pointing out while someone else might.

I've had his pass blocking reps video pulled up all morning, but haven't had a chance to go over it.  I hope I will be able to tonight, because going through these side by side can change my opinion sometimes.  @SerenityNow and me did the same thing with Fautanu vs. Fashanu against Michigan in our PM thread for TCMD, and I came away having those two much closer in my rankings than I had them beforehand.  Unfortunately, youtube doesn't have the entire Washington-Texas game, unless you actually watch the entire condensed game on Youtube, and ain't nobody got time for that.

Others are free to have different opinions, and I could very well be completely wrong.  I have been many many times before, and will be many times again.  But I spent more time than usual this year on OT tape for pretty much all the top guys (except like the Yale kid) and feel pretty strongly on my opinions on all of them.  Those opinions could be completely wrong, but they're unlikely to change much.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I've had his pass blocking reps video pulled up all morning, but haven't had a chance to go over it.  I hope I will be able to tonight, because going through these side by side can change my opinion sometimes.  @SerenityNow and me did the same thing with Fautanu vs. Fashanu against Michigan in our PM thread for TCMD, and I came away having those two much closer in my rankings than I had them beforehand.  Unfortunately, youtube doesn't have the entire Washington-Texas game, unless you actually watch the entire condensed game on Youtube, and ain't nobody got time for that.

Others are free to have different opinions, and I could very well be completely wrong.  I have been many many times before, and will be many times again.  But I spent more time than usual this year on OT tape for pretty much all the top guys (except like the Yale kid) and feel pretty strongly on my opinions on all of them.  Those opinions could be completely wrong, but they're unlikely to change much.

To be fair, I'm not that good of an evaluator, either, and I don't normally spend so much time scouting OL prospects (or really for the past 5 or so years prospects in general), and it's not even a view of my own I've been spending so much time defending, lol. I'm playing devil's advocate because I could see if they like him so much why that is, and why they might not be concerned about some of his limitations. 

But if I were to break them down in tiers, at least the bona fide 1st rounders, I'd have them

Tier 1: Fashanu

Tier 2: Alt, Mims, Fautanu

Tier 3: Latham and Fuaga

Obviously those are just my views, and with scouting being not a science in the true sense of the word, and more personal preference and taste and projections through the eye of the beholder, I could definitely see someone else's point of view, which is truly why I spend so much time advocating for views that aren't really my own to begin with. 

2 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

To be fair, I'm not that good of an evaluator, either, and I don't normally spend so much time scouting OL prospects (or really for the past 5 or so years prospects in general), and it's not even a view of my own I've been spending so much time defending, lol. I'm playing devil's advocate because I could see if they like him so much why that is, and why they might not be concerned about some of his limitations. 

But if I were to break them down in tiers, at least the bona fide 1st rounders, I'd have them

Tier 1: Fashanu

Tier 2: Alt, Mims, Fautanu

Tier 3: Latham and Fuaga

Obviously those are just my views, and with scouting being not a science in the true sense of the word, and more personal preference and taste and projections through the eye of the beholder, I could definitely see someone else's point of view, which is truly why I spend so much time advocating for views that aren't really my own to begin with. 

Tier 1, is Alt he’s the most complete T in this draft, he’s technically sound, more finesse than power but gets it done. 
Fashanu doesn’t show up at all in run blocking. Mims has the biggest upside & that’s why I like him, I always been a fan of raw potential with high upside his ceiling to me is between Marcus McNeil & Tyron Smith. 

Mims has a metric ton of talent, but he’s one of the prospects I have just crossed out from injuries. Too many. Don’t want to touch him.

We’ve been bitten too much by the injury bug. But yeah, his upside is insane.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 9:53 PM, KingTitan said:

Some notes:

There is a growing feeling that Joe Alt will be picked before 7. 

Titans like JC Lathum. Bill Callahan really has a thing for him.
Titans think highly of Junior Colson. 
Malik Nabers is a favorite of Brian Callahan. 
TJ Tampa is someone that Wilson likes.

Other guys with some favor in the draft room:
Dominck Puni
Matt Goncalves 
Jacob Cowing

Andres Peat. Tyrus Bowers ,Kwon Alexander and Quandre Diggs have high chances of being post draft signings, depending on how the draft plays out. 
Justin Simmons wants almost 11-12 million a year. 

Bummed that there weren't any notes about Odunze, but I remember the guy saying we came away impressed with him at the combine right? I'd imagine a visit is on the docket. Glad to see a couple of the later round guys I like being talked about in Goncalves and Cowing...

The more I think about the WR situation. I just really want Odunze if we go WR. I'd be happy with Nabers too, because I think they're both going to be studs, but I just can't get Odunze working on the three-cone drill after the combine when everybody else left out of my head. I just think he's got every piece of the puzzle to be a dominant NFL receiver.  I've had him slightly ahead of Nabers in my rankings because of his alpha WR size, but then you add in him wanting to compete at the combine without any need to whatsoever, and that's just a guy I'd bet on to turn into a successful pro. Not to mention the story about him playing through a broken rib and a punctured lung against Oregon. Then you turn on the film, and I just don't know how you can't fall in love with every aspect of his game and his character. 

I've talked a lot about the importance of getting Tackle taken care of in the first round, but man, if Alt is gone and Odunze is sitting there at 7, I'd have a really hard time passing him up. I guess I'm all in on the Huskies this year, because I absolutely love Odunze and Fautanu lol.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

Mims has a metric ton of talent, but he’s one of the prospects I have just crossed out from injuries. Too many. Don’t want to touch him.

We’ve been bitten too much by the injury bug. But yeah, his upside is insane.

He had 1 injury in college not several 1 he had ankle surgery late in the season & couldn’t play till mid next season. He pulled his groin running the 40, which isn’t serious a lot of athletes have soft tissue injuries training for the 40. 

Give me the T that can play THIS season. 

Crazy to me cause when for feels like 20 years we were good over there with Roos and Lewan. 

Time to replace Lewan (Yes I know he's been gone. Even his last years here he was not himself) with a T that is going to play LT at a high level THIS season.

From what Ive read in here and else were thats ALT. so we take Alt. TBH tho pick any of the 4 LTs in this draft and compare them to the LTs we've had these last few years and they are ALL far and away better lmao. So really doesnt matter to me. Just need dat LT pls for the love of god

Edited by VY-FTW
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, VY-FTW said:

Give me the T that can play THIS season. 

Crazy to me cause when for feels like 20 years we were good over there with Roos and Lewan. 

Time to replace Lewan (Yes I know he's been gone. Even his last years here he was not himself) with a T that is going to play LT at a high level THIS season.

From what Ive read in here and else were thats ALT. so we take Alt. TBH tho pick any of the 4 LTs in this draft and compare them to the LTs we've had these last few years and they are ALL far and away better lmao. So really doesnt matter to me. Just need dat LT pls for the love of god

Goes even further back then that. Pretty much went Hopkins to Roos to Lewan.

Consistently bad LT play is pretty new to this franchise.

I just can't see how they think Alt will be gone before 7. First 4 teams aren't taking him. I can't see the chargers, with their HUGE need at receiver, staring Nabers and Odunze right in the face, yet deciding to go with Alt. Same thing for the Giants at 6. Just used significant draft capital at RT (even though it looks ugly) and have a huge need at WR with a prime prospect likely to be there.. 

Edited by Airness McNairness
grammar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...