New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

While we're soooo early in the process and don't even have a GM yet, I've been seeing Robert Saleh's name floated as the front runner for HC. 

What would you guys think of:

Louis Riddick (ESPN Analyst as GM), Robert Saleh (49ers DC as HC/DC) and Mike McDaniels (49ers run game coordinator as OC)?

Edited by Karnage84

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

It's amazing. We fire Quintricia and suddenly there's a lot of names I'm seeing in the threads that I don't recognize. It's like Lions fans are coming out of the woodwork. 

I used to post here quite a bit, been primarily getting my football fix from Twitter / general fantasy for what seems like the past 5 or so years, but intelligent conversation at least on Twitter seems nearly impossible now. Also had been busy starting a family but getting settled in a bit, so hopefully have some more time for football talk here, if it's still active.

1 minute ago, DrRay11 said:

I used to post here quite a bit, been primarily getting my football fix from Twitter / general fantasy for what seems like the past 5 or so years, but intelligent conversation at least on Twitter seems nearly impossible now. Also had been busy starting a family but getting settled in a bit, so hopefully have some more time for football talk here, if it's still active.

Welcome back! Glad to have you in the mix. 

There has been an active contingent of us with some agreements, a lot of disagreements but all for a shared love of the Lions. 

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

While we're soooo early in the process and don't even have a GM yet, I've been seeing Robert Saleh's name floated as the front runner for HC. 

What would you guys think of:

Louis Riddick (ESPN Analyst as GM), Robert Saleh (49ers DC as HC/DC) and Mike McDaniels (49ers run game coordinator as OC)?

I would love this.  I'd be way more pumped about Saleh if this is part of the deal.  

On 11/30/2020 at 7:42 AM, Karnage84 said:

It's amazing. We fire Quintricia and suddenly there's a lot of names I'm seeing in the threads that I don't recognize. It's like Lions fans are coming out of the woodwork. 

Now only if we could find a way to get the bash brothers back

Edited by HashtagFTW

GM - Since we want to emulate the SF 49ers, we should go after their VP of player personnel - Martin Mayhew

HC - Jim Caldwell. He wants to get back in the fray and has the best winning % as a  coach in Lions history.

I mean...we've seen worse...right 🤨

Lions going to Lion.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, MrLionzz said:

Saleh for HC

Orlovsky for OC

Those are two I would really like to see.  And Riddick as GM. THESE THREE CAN TAKE THIS FRANCHISE TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL.

What has Orlovsky done to make you want him as an OC?  He has no coaching experience so just not sure I am willing to throw him into a significant role on our staff.  

38 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

What has Orlovsky done to make you want him as an OC?  He has no coaching experience so just not sure I am willing to throw him into a significant role on our staff.  

That is kind of what I was thinking too. 

Can anyone provide some insight on Louis Riddick and why he is considered a hot GM candidate? I've seen his resume but don't know a lot of what makes people think he can turn a ship around. 

That is kind of what I was thinking too. 

Can anyone provide some insight on Louis Riddick and why he is considered a hot GM candidate? I've seen his resume but don't know a lot of what makes people think he can turn a ship around. 

I feel like Riddick is getting love because of Mayock and Lynch.  They see a TV personality with a scouting background that seems to be pretty solid with analysis and draft rankings so they want to try and do what works for others.  I wouldn't mind Riddick at least because he does have a strong background in scouting and has been a candidate for a GM roll in the past. He seems like the hot name right now as I have seen articles on Atl, Hou, and us considering him. 

41 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I feel like Riddick is getting love because of Mayock and Lynch.  They see a TV personality with a scouting background that seems to be pretty solid with analysis and draft rankings so they want to try and do what works for others.  I wouldn't mind Riddick at least because he does have a strong background in scouting and has been a candidate for a GM roll in the past. He seems like the hot name right now as I have seen articles on Atl, Hou, and us considering him. 

I'm trying to do a little digging on him to get his perspectives on past drafts, team philosophy, etc. 

There's a video from 2019 where he's discussing Devin Bush as his best player in the draft. He was talking about building up the middle with an emphasis on athletic LB's and S's who can stop the RB's and hybrid TE's. Referenced how the "game has changed". 

http://nfl-pe-stage.azurewebsites.net/next/articles/nfl-draft-spotlight-louis-riddick/

Interesting article on Riddick while he was Director of Pro Personnel in Philly. 

That was a solid read.  And I really like this part:

From there, you have to know the exact physical and mental profiles desired by the Head Coach as it pertains to the potential prospects you are evaluating, and then you have to be able to correctly identify and project the future performance of the potential prospects once they are a part of your particular football operation and being exposed to the strategies and tactics preferred by the Head Coach.

Thats the key to me is having someone who is willing to put pride aside and trust your coach and provide them with what you need.  I also would like a coach who can adapt to other types of players as they obviously will not start from scratch so will need to fit in guys that are here and under contract.  

Quarterback.
 Needs to be smart, able to absorb/process/retain large volumes of information, be able to recite plays/concepts clearly to his teammates in the huddle, and be able to lead/direct the football team through various situations on the football field.
Good set up quicks, quick feet in the pocket/find throwing lanes, coverage recognition/anticipation, quick release, arm strength, accuracy at all 3 levels.

Running Back
Physically must be durable, and have very good lower body explosiveness/strength given the pounding and collisions that they are going to take, particularly below the knees.
Ideally want them to have home-run speed; at the very least they need intermediate speed, good change of direction qualities, excellent run vision and natural instincts, and the ability to make the first defender miss and get onto the 2nd level.

Defensive Back
Corners:

Very good lower body explosiveness/change of direction qualities; good top end speed.
Ball skills/hands.

Safeties:

Good athletic skills in terms of hips/change of direction/body control, and play strength.
Good spatial orientation as a deep zone player; have good anticipation and range.

I’m not going to just throw popular names around because frankly, none of us has the level of access or information required to make selections. 

They really need to focus on the individual and accurately determine if they have skill sets, management style and qualities to motivate and build a team. Success as a coordinator isn’t really much of an indicator for success as a head coach and the Lions have learned that numerous times. 

You can hire the best coordinator in the world but if he’s dogmatic, dictatorial and has the personality of a rattlesnake then he will fail as a head coach.  It’s 2020 not 1975.

We need someone who is a leader, excellent communicator, knows how to motivate and groom difficult personalities and is intelligent enough to recognize something called individual differences. A coach without those basic people skills in today’s world won’t succeed. They won’t have the recognition of how players personality profiles and emotions affect performance. We’ve just lived through a coach that lacked any if those skills.

• Like 1