Lions fire HC Matt Patricia & GM Bob Quinn; Darrell Bevell to be interim HC

chiefs82

Just now, Outpost31 said:

With the Chicago one, I'm kinda excited.  If they go all out to fix the offense at the expense of that defense, they will have done what Minnesota did to itself. 

It's also what the Texans did - throw countless 1/2s on the OL and QB, depending on JJ Watt to carry a defense that was slowly aging out.

Just now, ET80 said:

It's also what the Texans did - throw countless 1/2s on the OL and QB, depending on JJ Watt to carry a defense that was slowly aging out.

You never EVER stop putting into defense.

You let the offense catch up and hope to hit on offense with lower picks/investments. 

It's 10 times easier to scheme your way into success on offense than it is defense in my opinion. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

With the Chicago one, I'm kinda excited.  If they go all out to fix the offense at the expense of that defense, they will have done what Minnesota did to itself. 

What do you think Minnesota did that was wrong?  What would you have done differently?

Just now, Outpost31 said:

You never EVER stop putting into defense.

I fully agree - the Texans had the double whammy of not drafting defensive guys AND letting good/homegrown guys walk away. 

There's no reason you let DJ Reader, AJ Bouye and Kareem Jackson walk - but if you let them walk, replace them ASAP.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Kirk Cousins. 

Keep trying to find your QB in the draft and keep feeding that defense. 

Keep trying to find him with picks in the mid-high 20's?  That could take a LONG time.  Cousins isn't great, but he's not bad.  I don't see it as a massive failure to bring him in.  Sure, if we had a cheaper QB, we could add another piece or two, but would that get us over the top?  I don't think it would have.  Kirk wasn't a home run by any means, but he as about the best we could do under the circumstances, being as how the doctors were telling us that Teddy's chances of coming back were less than 50%.  It's probably just a lose/lose scenario either way.  Personally, I'd be all for giving up 3 first round picks for Trevor Lawrence, but that will never happen.

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

Keep trying to find him with picks in the mid-high 20's?  That could take a LONG time.  Cousins isn't great, but he's not bad.  I don't see it as a massive failure to bring him in.  Sure, if we had a cheaper QB, we could add another piece or two, but would that get us over the top?  I don't think it would have.  Kirk wasn't a home run by any means, but he as about the best we could do under the circumstances, being as how the doctors were telling us that Teddy's chances of coming back were less than 50%.  It's probably just a lose/lose scenario either way.  Personally, I'd be all for giving up 3 first round picks for Trevor Lawrence, but that will never happen.

Gardner Minshew's rookie season while adding to that defense gets the Vikings further than Cousins got them. 

Adding a middling QB at half or a quarter of the cap space does, too, considering what it frees up in cap space. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Gardner Minshew's rookie season while adding to that defense gets the Vikings further than Cousins got them. 

Finding a Gardner Minshew - a starting calibur QB in the 3rd day of the draft - I'd incredibly hard. You're more likely to find a Ben DiNucci, a Jake Luton or a Garrett Gilbert.

Minshew might not be great, but he's a lot better than most 3rd round QBs you'll find.

• Like 2

I don't know if I agree about that.  Minshew was decent, but do you see us winning a Super Bowl with him? I sure don't.  IMO, it made sense trying to keep the unit together that brought us to the NFCCG the year before and just stabilizing the QB position.  They didn't think Keenum would be able to repeat his 2017 performance, and they were right.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Condescending tone and random numbers aside (of course depth IOL players are late round/undrafted players...), are you suggesting that every IOL player picked in the 1st round was a wasted/bad pick?

No.  Like I said, once you get to 23/24 and the back half of the draft, once all the premium positions have been taken, it gets more acceptable.

But as a team you better be damn sure there's not a similar player at a more premium position or I don't care how good the player turns out, you're going to regret it.

The closer to 1st overall you pick those positions, the worse the decision is. 

If you disagree, I would like to see a single IOL, WR, RB, TE drafted in the top 12 of the first round that wasn't a terrible mistake. 

Edited by Outpost31

52 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Honestly, I think Joe Brady to Detroit is a recipe for success. Pair him up with a veteran DC (Wade Phillips seems to be the name of choice) and you can have Brady work with a very functional offense while Phillips can retool the defense with parts that already fit his scheme. 

I feel bad for Carolina...I do think that they are only going to get Brady for a single year. I think someone is going to offer him a head coaching gig next season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

Now time for the Packers to fire Pettine and get Patricia for DC

Ummm

Regarding the #Lions firing GM Bob Quinn and HC Matt Patricia: Per @ESPNStatsInfo: Lions defense has trended in the wrong direction under Patricia. Lions PPG Allowed - Last 3 Seasons                 NFL Rank 2018    22.5    16th 2019    26.4    26th 2020    29.8    30th

• Like 1