Lions fire HC Matt Patricia & GM Bob Quinn; Darrell Bevell to be interim HC

chiefs82

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

What about that greasy Italian looking guy SF hired back in like 2015?

Yeah that was pretty bad. I hate internal hires TBH. Rewarding a inner guy for doing a decent job is usually a recipe for disaster. I hugely criticized that Niner hiring, the Kitchens hiring, among others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eagles18 said:

Josh McDaniels should consider this job. Stafford is a very good QB  and they have excellent offensive pieces. 

Yeah, but since they just had one former Patriots coordinator flame out, would they want to go back for another one?  After the issues they had with Patricia's personality, and considering the way McDaniels flaked out on the Colts, I wouldn't want him if I were the Lions.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If you’re drafting interior offensive linemen in the first round you’re not making great picks.

The Packers have had the best interior offensive line in the division for a decade and the highest interior lineman they’ve drafted has been second rounder Elgton Jenkins.

Can play guard, center, right tackle and left tackle.

With SOME exceptions once you get past 24th overall, you don’t pick receivers, tight ends, interior offensive linemen, off ball linebackers or running backs in the first.

Interior OL are getting more love in today’s NFL. They’re more valuable for QBs who can move inside the pocket well to avoid outside pressure. Guys like Travis Fredericks and Quentin Nelson show how valuable an IOL can be.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Adam Gase still has a job.

My main fear is that firing a HC mid-season can lead to an Interim doing well, getting hired, and then stinking up the franchise for a couple more years. It happened with the Niners when they fired Mike Nolan, Singletary did well that half season and it cost them 2 years of wasted football until they hired Harbaugh. It also happened with your Browns, they fired Hue during the year and it helped propel Kitchens into the job. That was a wasted year until they hired Stefanski.

The only Interim HC i can think of that was successful was Jeff Fisher.

I am usually against in-season firings unless there's going to be a full out mutiny among your best players.

For most of these guys if they were just 2-3 bad games away from being fired, why not just do it in the offseason prior? Or, bite the bullet and fire them the following offseason?

As for the Jets, it seems like Joe Douglas has gotten assurances his job is safe. In that case, the best long-term to happen for that team is to get the #1 pick and take Lawrence. Jets fans should hope that Gase keeps his job the rest of the season. They take no long term benefit from installing Gregg Williams as Interim and winning 3 games.

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, D82 said:

I sure regret us taking Zack Martin and Travis Frederick in the first round...

Three postseason appearances, two wins. 

Frederick was 31st overall.  I already granted there are exceptions in the back end of the draft.  The point doesn't stand. 

@Xenos, @TL-TwoWinsAway, sit down here you can learn something.

Yeah, you want good IOL.  Yeah, you want good TE, ILB, WR.

You also want 10 million dollars and a private island in the Caribbean.  You can get those things in a perfect world.  It's an imperfect world.

Each team has limited resources.  Those limited resources are CAP SPACE and DRAFT CAPITAL.

Those two resources make the NFL world go round. 

In a perfect world, you can use high investment in low premium positions. 

Again, it's not a perfect world. 

So you have to allot your resources into what's most important if you want Super Bowl wins. 

So let's look at how Super Bowl winning teams won the Super Bowl.  We'll go with the previous 4 Super Bowl winners. 

200th
undrafted
48th
222nd

undrafted
undrafted

10 (Chance Warmack lol)

undrafted

That's the draft position of interior offensive linemen on those teams.  Since undrafted isn't a number, let's call undrafted 275th overall. 

The average draft position of interior offensive linemen in the past 4 Super Bowl teams has been: 161st overall. 

The Patriots 2 wins really help this considering Solder wasn't on the active roster at the end and they had undrafted Waddle on both teams.  Still, the average draft position for tackles? 

We can do this any way you want, too. 

Year by year, let's look at Chiefs. 

Average draft position for the Chiefs 2019 season:

OT - 74
EDGE - 102nd overall.
QB - 114th overall (obviously having 3 on the roster hurt this one)
WR - 125
DL - 149
TE - 152
DB - 162
RB - 169
IOL - 192

When you start to do digging, it only helps my case. 

Watkins was a 10th overall pick.  He busted off two teams to get to Kansas City.
They added two high ILB draft picks to their team (Ragland, Lee) who had nothing to do with that win. 

This isn't limited to the Chiefs.  I can't find it right now, but I went back through 20 years of Super Bowl history to do this. 

IOL, off ball linebackers, tight ends, receivers...

It doesn't fail.  The lowest amount of draft capital on Super Bowl winning teams goes to those positions.

You might get some teams who have higher IOL than others.  You might even gt some outliers at WR/ILB/TE.

But I can guarantee you that if you went back in all of modern football, say since Bill Polian whined about DB rules in about 2005, if you added every Super Bowl winner up, IOL/ILB/TE/WR would be the bottom 4 on this list. 

You can build some great offensive lines by focusing your draft capital on IOL, or you can compete for a Super Bowl. 

Edited by Outpost31

30 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

My main fear is that firing a HC mid-season can lead to an Interim doing well, getting hired, and then stinking up the franchise for a couple more years. It happened with the Niners when they fired Mike Nolan, Singletary did well that half season and it cost them 2 years of wasted football until they hired Harbaugh. It also happened with your Browns, they fired Hue during the year and it helped propel Kitchens into the job. That was a wasted year until they hired Stefanski.

The only Interim HC i can think of that was successful was Jeff Fisher.

I am usually against in-season firings unless there's going to be a full out mutiny among your best players.

For most of these guys if they were just 2-3 bad games away from being fired, why not just do it in the offseason prior? Or, bite the bullet and fire them the following offseason?

As for the Jets, it seems like Joe Douglas has gotten assurances his job is safe. In that case, the best long-term to happen for that team is to get the #1 pick and take Lawrence. Jets fans should hope that Gase keeps his job the rest of the season. They take no long term benefit from installing Gregg Williams as Interim and winning 3 games.

Not only that, but after Bountygate, Gregg Williams has no business being a head coach in the NFL.  Ever.

Honestly, I think Joe Brady to Detroit is a recipe for success. Pair him up with a veteran DC (Wade Phillips seems to be the name of choice) and you can have Brady work with a very functional offense while Phillips can retool the defense with parts that already fit his scheme.