Winter Holiday Dinner plans?

ET80

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Assuming that they happen, probably do like normal: ham for my family, leg of lamb for the wife’s.

Think I’m braising in pineapple juice this year. Keeping it classic. Some winter spices too (anise, cinnamon, cloves, etc.).

For the lamb, probably a cumin and garlic rub, with a little rosemary and thyme.

Can't go wrong with a classic ham w/some pineapple flair and some cloves for sure.  That'll probably be my holiday meal for Christmas.  As per usual.  And an abundance of lasagna for New Years day.

But yeah...things are probably going to be pretty different, and weird this year.  So who knows.

19 hours ago, Tugboat said:

And an abundance of lasagna for New Years day.

5 hours ago, TENINCH said:

My wife makes a copy of the Pioneer Woman's Lasagna for Christmas with Salad and bread. 

Ok, so too much of a coincidence for me to not ask a question, but... is lasagna a thing on NYD?

Christmas Eve mass will be outside at 3 pm, and I go to my mom and stepfather's for dinner.  In case of severe restrictions, we already bought our honey-baked ham and it's in the freezer.  I usually spend the night there, and we will do texas toast french toast in the morning.  

For lunch, my grandmother comes over to my house and we do some kind of meat.  I am considering doing a prime rib this year, but over the past couple years, I did a top round as a London Broil type cook, reverse-seared on my Big Green Egg.  She also makes her homemade mac and cheese and corn custard.  I've probably got to consider the meat here shortly and get it just in case.  I usually get a pretty big cut from Sam's Club, and I've got a meat slicer now so I can do more with the leftovers this year.  

On 11/28/2020 at 3:18 PM, SwAg said:

Everything is a bit different this year.  I believe we are doing our celebration on Christmas Eve this year, which means no meat due to the Bible or something.

So, I’m making straight seafood.  Not 100% certain on the menu yet, but likely crab nachos, scallops and shrimp two ways, lobster ravioli, and throw any excess seafood into a pasta with pesto.

It will all depend on what type of fresh seafood I can get in the days before.

Not sure on dessert yet.

I’ll be at your place on Christmas Eve

On 11/29/2020 at 11:08 PM, ET80 said:

Ok, so too much of a coincidence for me to not ask a question, but... is lasagna a thing on NYD?

I got sick of Ham and Turkey twice before New Years. Wife switched it up for me when I saw that lasagna get made a few years ago. Besides much easier to clean up than Thanksgiving food. I'm not big on eating leftovers.

• Like 1

The lasagna talk reminded me of a tradition we haven’t done for a while. 

We used to do fried oyster po’ boys for New Year’s Day every year with potato wedges and salad.

except my uncle that started the tradition went crazy (like crazy crazy) so the tradition stopped. Maybe I’ll bring it back. 

3 hours ago, Dome said:

The lasagna talk reminded me of a tradition we haven’t done for a while. 

We used to do fried oyster po’ boys for New Year’s Day every year with potato wedges and salad.

except my uncle that started the tradition went crazy (like crazy crazy) so the tradition stopped. Maybe I’ll bring it back. 

I immediately endorse anything done with fried oysters, at any time, for any occasion.

• Like 1