ET80

I'll be making -

Prime Rib

Brown sugar and pineapple ham

Asparagus with Homemade hollandaise

Beer-cheese bread stuffing

Cherry supreme

Wife will  be making -

Marshmallow yam bites (IDK what they are called, sweet potato slices with brown sugar cooked, then add a marshmallow and pecan on top)

A spicy corn thing (again IDK, I just eat it - has corn, jalapeno, cream cheese, cheddar, and hot sauce - so damn good)

Butter cake

Some sort of light salad. Always has a fruit of some sort.

Kids will make pickle and green onion roll ups. Just budding ham, cream cheese smeared on, then rolled around a slice of pickle or green onion.

@ET80 If you want a super easy recipe for a dessert, cherry supreme is as easy as it gets.

https://www.food.com/recipe/easy-cherry-delight-dessert-no-bake-82002

I add a bit more butter and double the vanilla extract to get the crumbs to stick then bake just the crust at 350 for 20 mins. After it cools add everything else in order and chill in the freezer for a while. Don't overwhip it, getting the cream cheese to near room temp makes it easier to prevent that too.

You can also make a number of smaller pies with different cans of fruit filling too. Blackberry, blueberry, and the berry medley all work well. Haven't tried apple or peach yet but eventually will.

• Like 1

Standing rib roasts were half off at Kroger, so that's gonna be my Christmas ham replacement.  Anyone ever cooked one before?  Prime rib is one of my favorite things, and I am confident that I can prepare a delicious one, but tips from those who have done it before would be welcomed.

I'm thinking salt/pepper and fridge it for a day, bake in a low oven until just barely rare in the center, then searing on all sides in a pan.  Probably no other herbs or spices, but maybe some horseradish, or at most, a cooked combo of beef broth, red wine, herbs and butter for a sauce.

Yorkshire pudding and mashed sweet potatoes are probably gonna be our accompaniments.  Dessert still up in the air.

On 12/1/2020 at 3:10 PM, Daniel said:

I’ve always toyed with the idea of cooking a goose for Christmas, but no one else is ever up for it.

This sounds fun.  Idk where i'd find a goose here that hasn't been frozen for months though.  They all left long ago.

I was actually kinda thinking about eating a Duck or two this year, but it's just gonna be a boring ol' Turkey 'cause they were cheap.  Which is fine.

On 12/2/2020 at 8:53 AM, Dome said:

The lasagna talk reminded me of a tradition we haven’t done for a while. 

We used to do fried oyster po’ boys for New Year’s Day every year with potato wedges and salad.

except my uncle that started the tradition went crazy (like crazy crazy) so the tradition stopped. Maybe I’ll bring it back. 

Do it.  I mean, what could go wrong really?

Thankfully, I don't have to do any cooking for this. But for Thanksgiving, I did this spread:

Smoked Turkey

Mac and Cheese with bacon (Snoop Dogg's recipe)

Mashed potatoes

Sweet Potato casserole

Stuffing

Cranberry Sauce

Faux Red Lobster biscuits

Cherry pie

Cherry and blueberry topped mini-cheesecakes

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

Seems like a good time for the Recipe thread to be bumped... Also, if anyone needs a brisket recipe, my family is Jewish and I like to do BBQ on a pellet smoker. So I have good ways to do brisket.

Got some good latke recipes up your sleeves then?

I would also accept chopped liver.

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Got some good latke recipes up your sleeves then?

I would also accept chopped liver.

Yes for Latkes. No for Chopped Liver.

Latkes

Ingredients:

5-ish lbs grated potatoes (less two small or 1 medium sized one that's not grated, but is peeled)

1 medium vidalia onion

2 eggs

1/2 tsp baking powder

1-1/2 tsp salt

1 tbsp flour

Frying oil. Olive, canola, whatever you prefer.

Equipment:

Food processor

Potato grater

Frying pan - large

Preparation:

1) In the food processor, put in the eggs, baking powder, salt, flour and the one peeled potato set aside)

2) Run the food processor with the normal blade until the potato mixture is smooth

3) In a large bowl, fold in the grated potatoes so that the mixture is somewhat even.

4) Set frying pan on the stove to a medium heat with about 4 tbsp of oil

5) Once pan and oil get to a high enough heat, scoop out 1/4 cup sized latkes and put into pan with spacing between them.

6) Once they are browned on the bottom, flip and fry the other side

7) Once browned on both sides, transfer to a plate with some paper towels on them to absorb the excess oil.

😎 Enjoy with apple sauce, apple butter, lox, sour cream, etc.

On 12/13/2020 at 11:18 PM, Daniel said:

Standing rib roasts were half off at Kroger, so that's gonna be my Christmas ham replacement

I was directed to this individual when I approached my gurus. I will now follow this man to the end of the world if asked...

I'm going to "dry aged" with the cheese cloth, I'm going to make the Yorkshire pudding. I had no idea on how to make Yorkshire pudding, for that matter.

On this note - wifey got me an early Christmas present specifically for this meal:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWK7VIU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_Tru2FbJWKQHYQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I will now become the master of carving.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I was directed to this individual when I approached my gurus. I will now follow this man to the end of the world if asked...

I'm going to "dry aged" with the cheese cloth, I'm going to make the Yorkshire pudding. I had no idea on how to make Yorkshire pudding, for that matter.

On this note - wifey got me an early Christmas present specifically for this meal:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWK7VIU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_Tru2FbJWKQHYQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I will now become the master of carving.

I actually saw that looking around for ideas.  I've done a lot of Good Eats recipes in my life, but I get slightly better results from America's Test Kitchen recipes, so what I'm doing would be a combo of his method and one from ATK (the scoring and searing of the fatcap at the end).  Thanks for the share, it gives me more confidence in the method.

Wife bought another one today, which went in the freezer, because they're still on sale for crazy cheap.  So now I can try multiple methods.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I actually saw that looking around for ideas.  I've done a lot of Good Eats recipes in my life, but I get slightly better results from America's Test Kitchen recipes, so what I'm doing would be a combo of his method and one from ATK (the scoring and searing of the fatcap at the end).  Thanks for the share, it gives me more confidence in the method.

Wife bought another one today, which went in the freezer, because they're still on sale for crazy cheap.  So now I can try multiple methods.

I'd love to see the ATK method, please do share!