2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

30 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I remember when people said this about Luka too lol.

Luka's quickness and strength are way better than Cade's. But Luka (or Harden) are the best offensive players in the world... so lol

Cade is big and has a lot of moves, plus his shooting turned into a huge positive. Cade would do spin moves to lefty hooks, he is insanely skilled. Easy #1 pick imo even if he isn't going to be the next Lebron or Luka lol

11 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Green was also playing alongside professionals. Cade was playing with bums on his team.

This also goes back to the one-n-done guys from smaller programs not really panning out in the league. Cade could've went to any program in the country and chose to go to Oklahoma State, just like Fultz did with Washington, Simmons did with LSU, and Bennett did with UNLV. All knowing that they were going to teams with limited talent around them and a pretty slim chance of winning while in college. But it also guaranteed that they'd have the ball in their hands at all times and they'd also get the "well his teammates sucked" excuse as something to downplay their struggles/weaknesses. 

Green chose to go play against professionals with very minimal exposure so he could get NBA coaching and play against the best. And before you say it was all about the money, Cade's brother went from middle school head coach to making $400k as an assistant at Oklahoma State, then immediately quit as soon as Cade declared for the draft. 

Miles McBride kinda sucked on offense imo, his role was way too big imo but he is incredible on defense. Potentially, one of the few PGs in the NBA who could help protect the paint and provide elite on ball defense. He can also shoot so as a backup guard he can be contributing player. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Luka's quickness and strength are way better than Cade's. But Luka (or Harden) are the best offensive players in the world... so lol

Cade is big and has a lot of moves, plus his shooting turned into a huge positive. Cade would do spin moves to lefty hooks, he is insanely skilled. Easy #1 pick imo even if he isn't going to be the next Lebron or Luka lol

@TheRealMcCoy Luka lite 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The majority of the G-League Ignite roster was younger players. The NBA players they had on their roster included Jarrett Jack, Bobby Brown, Amir Johnson, and Brandon Ashley. The team wasn't even supposed to play exclusively against G-League teams but covid through them a curve ball so they had to play exclusively against other G-League teams. And the G-League talent pool was stronger this year than in years past because more teams sent younger guys down to play knowing they'd only have to be their for a few weeks as opposed to the typical back and forth between teams in a regular season. 

We've seen it many times throughout recent draft history, guys who are considered more well rounded/higher floor go higher, and then the guys with elite physical tools develop into better players. Even when you look back at the last 10 draft cycles the only player that went #1 and has been the best player from his draft class is Anthony Davis, and possibly Zion Williamson although you can make a strong case for Ja Morant being better. 

Good to know on the first part, but Cade also has a bigger sample size of games in college than Green did. Wish we got to see Green play almost twice as many games as he did, but obviously he flashed enough.

And, yes we've seen that happen, but we've also seen tons of highly athletic guys drafted high flame out too. I don't think that will be the case with Green whatsoever. I'm just playing devils advocate.

I trust Cade to not be one of those guys. We'll see though.

I get why you are comparing Jalen to Kobe, but you need to slow your roll. Kobe's work ethic was unmatched by virtually any athlete in any sport. I believe Green will round out the weaker parts of his game to at least being decent. His ability as a scorer is probably the highest, but I value defense, smarts, and passing more than you obviously. Not too worried about Green filling out his body. Kobe was toothpick coming out of Lower Merion. 

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Good to know on the first part, but Cade also has a bigger sample size of games in college than Green did. Wish we got to see Green play almost twice as many games as he did, but obviously he flashed enough.

I get why you are comparing Jalen to Kobe, but you need to slow your roll. Kobe's work ethic was unmatched by virtually any athlete in any sport. I believe Green will round out the weaker parts of his game to at least being decent. His ability as a scorer is probably the highest, but I value defense, smarts, and passing more than you obviously. Not too worried about Green filling out his body. Kobe was toothpick coming out of Lower Merion. 

I think it says a lot about mentality, the fact that one went the harder route with less exposure while the other went the easiest possible route with the most exposure where he had a ton of built in excuses for any struggles. 

I wasn't the one that compared Green to Kobe, that was Brian Shaw, a guy who played with a young Kobe and then coached him later in his career. And also just so happened to be Jalen's coach for the G-League Ignite. 

I’ve been around some very, very good players that came in the league around his age. Obviously played with and coached Kobe Bryant. Those players that are special players, they have this “it” factor that you hear people talk about. He has “it.” He has a knack for being able to figure things out on the fly. He has the mentality that he’s competitive and wants to win at everything. When we would run suicides or line drills during the course of a practice, he would blow everybody away. Not only did he want to win, he didn’t want anyone to even finish close behind him. Every shooting game, things we played — cards or dominoes or something off the court— he wanted to win everything. He has that type of mentality.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think it says a lot about mentality, the fact that one went the harder route with less exposure while the other went the easiest possible route with the most exposure where he had a ton of built in excuses for any struggles. 

I wasn't the one that compared Green to Kobe, that was Brian Shaw, a guy who played with a young Kobe and then coached him later in his career. And also just so happened to be Jalen's coach for the G-League Ignite. 

I never said you were the first to make the comparison, but you definitely were doing it in this thread.

And, that's cool that Shaw is being supportive of his guy and giving him a big compliment like that.

I'm not comparing anyone to Kobe cause of his work ethic which was otherworldly.

Glad Green has the same competitive spirit though.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

We gonna pretend these guys don't have off nights? lol

These are 18/19 year olds.

Jalen Green didn't have games where he went 0-6, 0-7, 0-7 (6 turnovers) and 1-6 from behind the arc?

11/27 games Cade was held under 40% FG, Green was held under 40% FG in 4/15 games. In the NCAA tournament Cade averaged 19.5 on 26% FG. In Green's one G-League playoff game he put up 30 points on 55% FG, lol. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Miles McBride kinda sucked on offense imo, his role was way too big imo but he is incredible on defense. Potentially, one of the few PGs in the NBA who could help protect the paint and provide elite on ball defense. He can also shoot so as a backup guard he can be contributing player. 

What do you think about him for the Lakers at 22? 

Seems like a dark horse candidate for us.

I'd prefer to snag Springer or Butler, but not sure if one or either will be there.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

And, that's cool that Shaw is being supportive of his guy and giving him a big compliment like that.

I'm not comparing anyone to Kobe cause of his work ethic which was otherworldly.

Glad Green has the same competitive spirit though.

It wasn't even just Shaw though, pretty much everyone that saw him play or played against him in the G-League said this kid is something else. 

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

This reminds of of that tweet about Lamelo last year, something like "they said you have use the eye test to evaluate Lamelo, the eye test:" then he has the worst gm of all time in the lowlights. 

Lamelo flashed special playmaking ability in the NBL, Cade had a negative assist/to ratio in the Big 12...

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

11/27 games Cade was held under 40% FG, Green was held under 40% FG in 4/15 games. In the NCAA tournament Cade averaged 19.5 on 26% FG. In Green's one G-League playoff game he put up 30 points on 55% FG, lol. 

The GL is fake. It's like AAU basketball. 

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

What do you think about him for the Lakers at 22? 

Seems like a dark horse candidate for us.

I'd prefer to snag Springer or Butler, but not sure if one or either will be there.

McBride is a dog defensively and an improving 3 point shooter. It might be somewhat of a reach but if the Lakers could move down, even into the early second round I think Joe Wieskamp would be a great pick. 

• Like 1