2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

17 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Luka's quickness and strength are way better than Cade's. But Luka (or Harden) are the best offensive players in the world... so lol

Cade is big and has a lot of moves, plus his shooting turned into a huge positive. Cade would do spin moves to lefty hooks, he is insanely skilled. Easy #1 pick imo even if he isn't going to be the next Lebron or Luka lol

I think he has fairly good quickness.

He definitely is strong too. Maybe not like Luka and definitely not like Bron, but its there.

But, yeah I just think its hard to pass on a guy with his skillset despite the lack of dynamic athleticism.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

11/27 games Cade was held under 40% FG, Green was held under 40% FG in 4/15 games. In the NCAA tournament Cade averaged 19.5 on 26% FG. In Green's one G-League playoff game he put up 30 points on 55% FG, lol. 

Green has generational tools.

Hope he lives up to his billing. I'd love to watch something close to Kobe again.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

He definitely is strong too. Maybe not like Luka and definitely not like Bron, but its there.

But, yeah I just think its hard to pass on a guy with his skillset despite the lack of dynamic athleticism.

Another red flag for me with Cade is that you haven't heard anyone say things about him like "he came in and changed the culture, he brought a winning mentality, he wanted to elevate the team, etc." Oklahoma State won 3 more games with Cade then they did the previous year without him. When you hear anyone that was around Jalen it's the complete opposite "this dude's the ultimate competitor, the hardest worker, always wants to win, etc." 

Cade reminds me more of an Andrew Wiggins, Ben Simmons, KAT type of prospect. A guy that will be very good but just doesn't really strike me as a guy that's going to elevate a franchise. 

8 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And the majority of the guys in the G-League were 4 year college players a lot of whom were All-Americans, lol. 

My guy Kadeem Allen dropped 18 PPG his rookie year in the GL. I remember after he got some PT for the Knicks iirc they sent him to the GL for like 3 gms and he averaged like 30.  This is a dude who as a 5th year senior at UA couldn't get 10 PPG. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

McBride is a dog defensively and an improving 3 point shooter. It might be somewhat of a reach but if the Lakers could move down, even into the early second round I think Joe Wieskamp would be a great pick. 

Love guys that play with physicality on defense. Would rather have to tame it than teach it. McBride seems similar to Springer in that regard. Maybe a bit more polished player right now. If we took Springer we wouldn't be shooting for a guy that can contribute right away. It would be a pick kind of like THT that needs some time with how young they were/are. 

Wieskamp seems more like a Utah guy, but yeah that stroke looks smooth. I saw he surprised at the combine testing wise. I'm sure some weight room work and Vogel could improve him on the defensive end too. 

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, I've watched it already and been following/subscribed to Keandre for a long time now. Think I discovered him either off a Caruso highlight he did or the LaMelo scouting report he did.

Just noticed he also released his Big Board 8.0 (Final) today too.

Still has Cade #1, but also has Green, Suggs, and Mobley in the 1st tier too.

Just checked his first big boards and he had Suggs #2 and Green at #5 behind Kuminga, so he's clearly been moving Green up throughout the process. Before this Green/Mobley were in Tier 2 with his last big board 7.0 and Mobley/Cunningham tier 1 with Green/Suggs in tier 2 in 6.0.

When he introduced tier 1 for this Final Big Board he says the following:

"Getting into this last tier. Nothing has really changed. From 4 to 1. I think its still Suggs (#4) with a gap between him and Jalen Green & Evan Mobley and Cade is at #1 with a smaller, but noticeable gap between him at #1 and JG & Mobley behind him. Not saying its impossible that Green & Mobley become better than Cade. I just think the most likely in projecting what has been shown to this point: Cade is the guy."

Pretty much how I feel.

41 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Another red flag for me with Cade is that you haven't heard anyone say things about him like "he came in and changed the culture, he brought a winning mentality, he wanted to elevate the team, etc." Oklahoma State won 3 more games with Cade then they did the previous year without him. When you hear anyone that was around Jalen it's the complete opposite "this dude's the ultimate competitor, the hardest worker, always wants to win, etc." 

Cade reminds me more of an Andrew Wiggins, Ben Simmons, KAT type of prospect. A guy that will be very good but just doesn't really strike me as a guy that's going to elevate a franchise. 

Montverde Academy’s associate head coach, Rae Miller, was expecting to scout a power forward. At least, that’s how Cade was listed in the reports he’d gotten. Then a high school sophomore at Bowie High in Arlington, Texas, with a stagnant top-50 recruiting profile, Cade was still in the process of transitioning from the post to point guard. “It was not an easy thing, but what you saw from him was that he was responsible, accountable, and he was also very, very encouraging to his teammates, no matter what the situation was,” Miller told me. “He’d make a pass to a kid that fumbled the ball out of bounds and he’d put it on himself that I should have put it in a better spot. You see a guy who carried a lot of the success of the team, and he cared about making sure that he didn’t put more pressure on other people than he ever put on himself.”

Keith’s quarterback mentality lived on, however, through Cade. When Cade transferred to Montverde for his junior year, his presence was what opened the coaching staff’s eyes. “His communication skills, his ability to really galvanize his group, no matter what the score was, no matter what the situation was, he was always the leader,” Miller said. He remembered asking Cade where those qualities came from.

“Coach, I once was a quarterback,” Cade replied. “My dad was a quarterback, and he always taught me from a young age to make sure that I have my head up and I’m talking and building everyone’s confidence around me."

In less than three years’ time, Cade had transformed himself from a power forward to the no. 1 point guard in the country. “The fact that he’s played all the positions on the floor has been really, really big for him,” said Miller, who helped lead Montverde to arguably the greatest high school basketball season in history. Miller spoke in awe of that team and its competitive spirit; after every practice, Cunningham would play a game of one-on-one against 6-foot-11, 265-pound big man Day’Ron Sharpe, himself a potential first-round pick in this year’s draft. The best point guard in the nation against the second-best center in the country; even after he assumed the sport’s most glamorous position, Cade never forgot his roots. “He’s really well-versed in understanding what each guy needs on the floor because he’s been there. … We were 25-0 with him scoring 14 points a game and playing less minutes than most superstars. Because he was always caring about the other guys on his team. It separates him.”

Source: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/7/26/22593326/cade-cunningham-nba-draft-luka-doncic?utm_campaign=theringer&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

My guy Kadeem Allen dropped 18 PPG his rookie year in the GL. I remember after he got some PT for the Knicks iirc they sent him to the GL for like 3 gms and he averaged like 30.  This is a dude who as a 5th year senior at UA couldn't get 10 PPG. 

Again he was a grown arse man and a professional athlete that played multiple years of college basketball. 

44 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Montverde Academy’s associate head coach, Rae Miller, was expecting to scout a power forward. At least, that’s how Cade was listed in the reports he’d gotten. Then a high school sophomore at Bowie High in Arlington, Texas, with a stagnant top-50 recruiting profile, Cade was still in the process of transitioning from the post to point guard. “It was not an easy thing, but what you saw from him was that he was responsible, accountable, and he was also very, very encouraging to his teammates, no matter what the situation was,” Miller told me. “He’d make a pass to a kid that fumbled the ball out of bounds and he’d put it on himself that I should have put it in a better spot. You see a guy who carried a lot of the success of the team, and he cared about making sure that he didn’t put more pressure on other people than he ever put on himself.”

Keith’s quarterback mentality lived on, however, through Cade. When Cade transferred to Montverde for his junior year, his presence was what opened the coaching staff’s eyes. “His communication skills, his ability to really galvanize his group, no matter what the score was, no matter what the situation was, he was always the leader,” Miller said. He remembered asking Cade where those qualities came from.

“Coach, I once was a quarterback,” Cade replied. “My dad was a quarterback, and he always taught me from a young age to make sure that I have my head up and I’m talking and building everyone’s confidence around me."

In less than three years’ time, Cade had transformed himself from a power forward to the no. 1 point guard in the country. “The fact that he’s played all the positions on the floor has been really, really big for him,” said Miller, who helped lead Montverde to arguably the greatest high school basketball season in history. Miller spoke in awe of that team and its competitive spirit; after every practice, Cunningham would play a game of one-on-one against 6-foot-11, 265-pound big man Day’Ron Sharpe, himself a potential first-round pick in this year’s draft. The best point guard in the nation against the second-best center in the country; even after he assumed the sport’s most glamorous position, Cade never forgot his roots. “He’s really well-versed in understanding what each guy needs on the floor because he’s been there. … We were 25-0 with him scoring 14 points a game and playing less minutes than most superstars. Because he was always caring about the other guys on his team. It separates him.”

Source: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/7/26/22593326/cade-cunningham-nba-draft-luka-doncic?utm_campaign=theringer&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

So he himself said it, his dad said it, and his HS coach said it. His own college coach low key was throwing shade at him and his brother, lol. 

A guy that's "all about winning" and "the next LeBron who just makes everyone around him so much better" elevated an 18 win team to a 21 win team. @Kirill

Edited by NYRaider

6/8 of Oklahoma State's losses came when Cade had his biggest scoring out puts. #AllAboutWinning #LeBron

Dude literally chose to play at an ish program because they were paying his brother, who was making like $10k to coach a middle school team, $400k. Seems like winning is definitely his top priority for sure.