2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Most players drafted outside the lottery are career backups.

Most players drafted are career backups. My point is you target guys with potential to grow into a spot, not languish on the bench. The result isn't often the former, but it doesn't mean you shoot for it. 

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Most players drafted are career backups. My point is you target guys with potential to grow into a spot, not languish on the bench. The result isn't often the former, but it doesn't mean you shoot for it. 

Josh Giddey and Davion Mitchell would both be good picks for Boston but they were both already off the board. 

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

i really wasnt impressed with him when he played Houston. I need to watch a little more film of him. 

That was one of only two games the whole season he was held under double figures. He has the tools though at 6'11" with a 7'3" wingspan and is a plus level rebounder/shot blocker and good FT shooter. 

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

You also have to plan ahead for not being able to pay every player a 2nd contract, especially a C.

Players are also assets. If he's BPA, then he's an asset for a trade. Or it makes Williams expendable in a trade before he gets paid.

On 4/8/2021 at 6:44 AM, TitanSlim said:

Close to a week later and I still don’t get why DJ Steward not only entered the draft, but hired an agent as well.

Yeah, it was definitely a weird decision on his part, I thought he'd be back for sure. He's a mid to late 2nd round pick at best, imo. But with the uncertainty of how college basketball will be next season I guess he would rather fight for a two-way contract and get paid rather than play at Duke for free. Especially since Duke has a monster recruiting class coming in and his usage would've likely dropped significantly. 

On 4/7/2021 at 6:18 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Both Springer and Keon Johnson to the draft. Sad face. Get it for Johnson. Springer didn't seem that impressive most of the year though.

Springer will still likely be a late lottery pick based on upside alone. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, it was definitely a weird decision on his part, I thought he'd be back for sure. He's a mid to late 2nd round pick at best, imo. But with the uncertainty of how college basketball will be next season I guess he would rather fight for a two-way contract and get paid rather than play at Duke for free. Especially since Duke has a monster recruiting class coming in and his usage would've likely dropped significantly. 

If he felt he no longer wanted to go to college and was just ready to play professionally then hey, more power to him. Can’t be mad at that.

At this point though he’s more of an undersized two guard than a point. Even though we have a big class coming in, I felt that the secondary ball handling/PG role behind Roach was wide open for him on next year’s team. Showing and developing his PG skills with the talent on next year’s squad would’ve helped his stock tremendously imo. If he feels the NBA/G-League will do a better job(while getting payed) than Duke, than I really can’t fault him.

I truly hope for the best for him though because I’m of fan of his. It just feels like Frank Jackson all over again to me.

12 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

If he felt he no longer wanted to go to college and was just ready to play professionally then hey, more power to him. Can’t be mad at that.

At this point though he’s more of an undersized two guard than a point. Even though we have a big class coming in, I felt that the secondary ball handling/PG role behind Roach was wide open for him on next year’s team. Showing and developing his PG skills with the talent on next year’s squad would’ve helped his stock tremendously imo. If he feels the NBA/G-League will do a better job(while getting payed) than Duke, than I really can’t fault him.

Yeah I thought he would've started as well. Duke only has two "true" guards on the roster in Keels and Roach with Moore being able to play the 2 as well. Hopefully we're able to land Patrick Baldwin Jr and I wouldn't mind a late commitment or transfer guard either. 

But I agree that it feels like Frank Jackson again. He's not ready to play in the NBA and will be in the G-League next season. But I can understand from his perspective because he just spent a year on campus without other students there and without fans at games. We still don't know how next season/semester will be at Duke so I'm sure that played a huge role in his decision.