Where would peak Michael Irvin rank today?

Mox

I'm an avid Michael Irvin hater, and the fact that he was a 1st ballot HOF when other WR's have had to wait much longer is an absolute joke.

The dude had 750 catches, 65 career TD, with a very good 8 year window in which he made 5 Pro Bowls. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'm an avid Michael Irvin hater, and the fact that he was a 1st ballot HOF when other WR's have had to wait much longer is an absolute joke.

The dude had 750 catches, 65 career TD, with a very good 8 year window in which he made 5 Pro Bowls. 

Irvin was extremely good, can’t always rely on stats. His stats were low because I stand firm that Aikman is the most overrated QB in NFL History. 

Michael Irvin made a living pushing off... and with the new rules and emphasis allowing the Refs to call OPI on the WRs, I think his game would have suffered a fair amount. In some ways, he earned his way into the Hall of FAME by being famous as much as by being a top WR on a loaded Championship team.

When the 49ers acquired Deion Sanders as a free agent, they originally did so to take Michael Irvin out of the game. But after only 1 season, the 49ers concluded they didn't need Sanders to take Irvin out of the game -  so Deion followed the money and went to Dallas... to take Jerry Rice out of the game.

• Like 1

He had a pretty incredible 5 year run followed by 3 pretty good years. I remember him being very good, but not necessarily that Rice, Moss, Owens level of dominating. I was young though. The game changes, the athletes change, etc, but I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be Top 10 no problem. 

Outside of the top 10. Sure, he pushed off - a lot - but he also made very tough grabs and never went down on first contact. He was on par with peak Anquan Boldin, a physical menace who didn't use speed or quickness to beat you, he used his raw power to beat you.

11 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Oh wow I never realized but he’s basically just Roddy White (statistically).

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Irvin was extremely good, can’t always rely on stats. His stats were low because I stand firm that Aikman is the most overrated QB in NFL History. 

Shrug. Whatever your opinion is on Aikman, we can probably agree he wasn’t actually a bad quarterback. Plenty of elite wide receivers produced without Aikman-tier QBing.