Where would peak Michael Irvin rank today?

Mox

I can’t argue stats during those last throes of old smash-mouth style football teams during the rise of WCO/pass-balanced offense. I do have the opinion that there aren’t that many WRs that were his peers in the attitude department. Irvin was the real leader/catalyst of the 90’s Cowboys. Aikman even eluded to that. Somebody mentioned Anquan Boldin? Well, take him and add Steve Smith’s brain/mentality.  That was Irvin. 

Ranking the triplets importance:

Irvin>Emmett>>>Aikman. 

The 90's Cowboys were poised to be a franchise maybe as dominant as the 2000's Patriots.   But their very stupid, selfish, and media whoring owner decided to fire Jimmy Johnson because he can't stand anyone but him being in the spotlight.

The Cowboys big three - Emmitt, Aikman, and Irvin - were all in their 20's.   After Jimmy Johnson it was one long meh stint for Michael Irvin.  So it's really hard to judge where he would be today because certainly he would have had a much more stellar career if not for Jerry Jones's meddling and stupidity.  He was also on a team that ran the ball 800 times a game, and NOBODY does that today.

I will say he was best known for mauling cornerbacks and being really physical (not to mention his patented push-off technique) and today corners aren't even allowed to hand-check.   He very well could feast today most likely, but I have no way of knowing that. 

Good speed, huge physical presence, aggressive and good hands.  I don't know...why wouldn't he be good today?

Edited by Saint_James

Irvin was a good player

I refuse to buy into the "previous generations are better because we idolize them" narratives

Players are bigger, stronger, and faster now. They are just better.

He would be a good player. He wouldn't be an elite player

• Like 1

I personally think that Shannon Sharpe, Andre Reed, and Cris Carter were better than Michael Irvin. I think that Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, Antonio Brown, Deandre Hopkins, and Devante Adams are better than Michael Irvin. I would agree that he's the tier below, around Keenan Allen. I saw them all play. He was a really good WR...but I wouldn't take them over those other guys if I was starting a franchise.

Agreed Irvin pushed off but that was also back when corners were allowed to be much much more physical than they are today.

Is it just me but the same comments being made about Irvin pushing off, I see Hopkins push off quite a bit and get away with some things.