2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

7 hours ago, Roninho said:

Yeah exactly. We are patient at FS/CB and there has been nonstop questioning this. And when we are taking up guys at D-line we get why did we sign them the moment Reed gets cut. 

Our FO has 'earned' a lot of critisism, but the current mindset seems like the reaction is always lose-lose whatever our FO does.

One thing you are missing in this argument is that the DBs are starters.  The 3T have all been rotational players or out of the league for a few years.  Reed is automatically our best DT and the missing piece most of us were complaining about Mack needing when he was here.  Boston and Hooker are not the best in the league but are both starting quality players that know how to play the position we need.  

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Jefferson is probably going to start at 3T. And how do Irving/Thomas have higher upsides than Reed? He has already proven to be a double digit sack guy at the 3T spot. 

Naw I don't think jefferson starts (although he's great depth).

Oh yeah I'm completely aware of reed. And his 10 sack season but if you look at the measurable's and testing I think both of them have higher ceilings.

I'm not saying they're these Guys are the players that I'm comparing them to in terms of testing/measurable's. That being said Solomon Thomas testing and measurable's are identical to Aaron Donalds And David Irving measurable's and testing Are similar to that of deforest Buckner. 

I Personally thought it was a good idea to get both of these guys for a combined price I have 6 million total And see what both of these guys could do with an entire off-season And no restrictions from the NFL wow both playing strictly the 3T

39 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Will Hernandez G for the Giants is on the trade block for a late round pick according to Nfltraderumors.com

id absolutely consider sending the 2nd 5th or a 6th for him and playing him at RG and Good at RT as a backup plan.

this is why you don’t pay G’s 10M.... there are always good cheap options.

iId rather good doesn’t play RT but if we had to I’d be okay with it.

I just dont want a parker vs good  competition at tackle. 

17 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Naw I don't think jefferson starts (although he's great depth).

Oh yeah I'm completely aware of reed. And his 10 sack season but if you look at the measurable's and testing I think both of them have higher ceilings.

I'm not saying they're these Guys are the players that I'm comparing them to in terms of testing/measurable's. That being said Solomon Thomas testing and measurable's are identical to Aaron Donalds And David Irving measurable's and testing Are similar to that of deforest Buckner. 

I Personally thought it was a good idea to get both of these guys for a combined price I have 6 million total And see what both of these guys could do with an entire off-season And no restrictions from the NFL wow both playing strictly the 3T

Jefferson played in 30 games (16 starts) over the last two seasons and put up 6.5 sacks. 

Solomon Thomas played in 18 games (2 starts) over the last two seasons, only put up 2 sacks, and is coming off of a torn ACL. 

David Irving hasn't started or really even played football in almost 4 years. 

Not to mention Jefferson got the most guaranteed money out of the three and is the only one that actually played last year. 

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Clark - Reed - Jones is going to be absolutely filthy. 

I was going to hit the like button because I agree but that would look like I like the Chiefs d-line.  I am not angry that we did not sign but angry that there are no reports about us even trying.  These seem like obvious moves.  I am fine with signing players with potential but you do not give them guaranteed money and you pair them with proven players.  Pairing Jefferson with Barmore would be risky but understandable as a play for the future.  Just signing a bunch of guys that have failed or have other huge red flags shows that you just do not know what you are doing or lazy.  

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jefferson played in 30 games (16 starts) over the last two seasons and put up 6.5 sacks. 

Solomon Thomas played in 18 games (2 starts) over the last two seasons, only put up 2 sacks, and is coming off of a torn ACL. 

Not to mention Jefferson got the most guaranteed money out of the three and is the only one that actually played last year. 

Actually Thomas got the most guaranteed.  It drives me absolutely nuts but also shows that Gruden only sees how he felt about him during the draft.  

Thomas $2.8 with $2.74 guaranteed

Jeffereson $3.25 with $2 guaranteed

Irving $1.04 with $50K guaranteed

Hurst $2.26 with $79K guaranteed

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Come training camp its gonna be fair game. 

43 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

One thing you are missing in this argument is that the DBs are starters.  The 3T have all been rotational players or out of the league for a few years.  Reed is automatically our best DT and the missing piece most of us were complaining about Mack needing when he was here.  Boston and Hooker are not the best in the league but are both starting quality players that know how to play the position we need.  

Yeah i understand. Let me put it like this: If Reed had been a fa at the start of fa i would have liked us to try and sign him.

But since he wasnt available at that point i'm fine with going for who was available, even at the expense of it being more rotational guys. Waiting for guys to become available who may not become available is a tricky approach for me (i can understand others see it differently)

1 minute ago, Roninho said:

Yeah i understand. Let me put it like this: If Reed had been a fa at the start of fa i would have liked us to try and sign him.

But since he wasnt available at that point i'm fine with going for who was available, even at the expense of it being more rotational guys. Waiting for guys to become available who may not become available is a tricky approach for me (i can understand others see it differently)

Doesn't seem Reed becoming available was expected around the league. The reports are Seattle wanted a simple restructure for cap reasons which he refused. It's weird because he ends up earning less than he would have with a restructure. I don't see a way he was signing with a non playoff team like the Raiders for the deal he got from KC.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roninho said:

My issue was not signing guys early.   It was signing rotational or potential only players early with guaranteed money.  It makes you less flexible to pivot if and when something unexpected happens.  We could have given Thomas and Jefferson $5 million a year each and as long as it was not guaranteed it would not have bothered my.  Then if Reed becomes available you can cut one with Hurst and have the money to be in the running for Reed.  If you need more to outbid KC you cut Richard.  That right there would give you $10 million.  We would have been flexible.  Hypothetically if we cut Thomas to go after Reed you would have to add Thomas' guaranteed money to Reed's contract to get the true cost.  So if we signed Reed for $10 million his actual cost would be $12.74 million.  It was just a stupid business decision unless you feel Thomas and Jefferson are so good that you could not reasonably upgrade them.  So they are really bad at talent evaluation because neither are starters or shortsighted.  Both would be huge red flags.  I am not saying they should sign every decent player either.  I would just like to hear that they are at least in the running or exploring there options.  Will probably not happen now because they have to much guaranteed money invested.

10 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Doesn't seem Reed becoming available was expected around the league. The reports are Seattle wanted a simple restructure for cap reasons which he refused. It's weird because he ends up earning less than he would have with a restructure. I don't see a way he was signing with a non playoff team like the Raiders for the deal he got from KC.

He only loses $1 million if he hits his incentives because $5 million from his $13 this year was from the signing bonus he already received.

2 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I know.

I would have given him $10 million to keep him off KC.  The only team that can beat KC in our division now is KC.  We need Thomas to somehow play like Aaron Donald, that is who he was compared to when coming out, to have a chance.  Jones and Reed are going to blow up the middle of our line.  I expect our games against KC to be ugly now.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I would have given him $10 million to keep him off KC.  The only team that can beat KC in our division now is KC.  We need Thomas to somehow play like Aaron Donald, that is who he was compared to when coming out, to have a chance.  Jones and Reed are going to blow up the middle of our line.  I expect our games against KC to be ugly now.

Bruh you're doom and glooming this early? We nearly beat the Chiefs twice last year with a horrific defense and now we're gonna get destroyed? We have more than half the offseason to go. I mean do you, but I really don't understand this degree of pessimism.