The New York Jets

QBIso

Just now, .Buzz said:

I don't get people who think differently. So many teams would love to be in position to get either.

I don’t either, New GM already in place, New HC on the way, and he’s been way too inconsistent to bank on turning it around at this point. I’ve liked Fields for awhile but after watching more Wilson I definitely think he’s in the conversation for the 2 spot 

Just now, Dr.O said:

I don’t either, New GM already in place, New HC on the way, and he’s been way too inconsistent to bank on turning it around at this point. I’ve liked Fields for awhile but after watching more Wilson I definitely think he’s in the conversation for the 2 spot 

It's not even just that.

Fields has enormous upside and so many of the tools you look for in a QB. Wilson has the tools of exactly what you look for in a QB in today's day and age with his off platform throws/killer arm. 

Like, I get TLaw is a generational prospect so things after him aren't as bright but both of these guys are legit top end QB prospects that deserve to go top 5-10 imo.

Just now, .Buzz said:

I don't get people who think differently. So many teams would love to be in position to get either.

I mean, how is Fields/Wilson any different than Sam Darnold as a prospect? Once upon a time, the Browns were a bit foolish for passing on Darnold for Baker Mayfield - how much of Darnold's stall has to do with Adam Gase? We're seeing what a QB looks like post Gase with Ryan Tannehill - is it too much to think you couldn't get a similar uptick from Darnold with the right coaching staff?

Trevor Lawrence is a different animal - there are only about three to four teams that shouldn't select Lawrence if given a chance (KC, Seattle, Green Bay and Houston). I am pretty certain that Fields/Wilson isn't much more than Darnold 2.0 for NYJ.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, QBIso said:

Yes. And Trask isn’t nearly half the player Lawrence is. 

If I’m the Jets and want to get a QB, I’d take Zach Wilson and/or Lance before Fields. I’ve been off the Fields train for a while now. His recent stinkers have only solidified that thought. 

Yep, agreed. Wilson is second best, for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I mean, how is Fields/Wilson any different than Sam Darnold as a prospect? Once upon a time, the Browns were a bit foolish for passing on Darnold for Baker Mayfield - how much of Darnold's stall has to do with Adam Gase? We're seeing what a QB looks like post Gase with Ryan Tannehill - is it too much to think you couldn't get a similar uptick from Darnold with the right coaching staff?

Trevor Lawrence is a different animal - there are only about three to four teams that shouldn't select Lawrence if given a chance (KC, Seattle, Green Bay and Houston). I am pretty certain that Fields/Wilson isn't much more than Darnold 2.0 for NYJ.

I definitely like Fields more than Darnold prospect wise. Wilson is sorta TBD but again, fits today's NFL to a tee with his skillset imo.

Most QB prospects flop if you don't give them quality coaching/decent weapons to get going. It's a hard gig, and these are young guys still developing. If you do what you did with Darnold they very well could bust. But if that's the thought process (being scared to swing) with guys who have franchise QB potential you aren't ever getting out of your rut. Darnold imo is broken. That guy isn't the future. Pick top 5 again next year and get a probably lesser QB prospect or hope to get one like Fields? I guess you can do that.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

It's not even just that.

Fields has enormous upside and so many of the tools you look for in a QB. Wilson has the tools of exactly what you look for in a QB in today's day and age with his off platform throws/killer arm. 

Like, I get TLaw is a generational prospect so things after him aren't as bright but both of these guys are legit top end QB prospects that deserve to go top 5-10 imo.

100% agree both are worth shots in the Top 5/10. I’d be comfortable with either as of now. I just don’t see anyway Darnold is on this team next year and he’s not stopping me from taking either

Just now, .Buzz said:

Most QB prospects flop if you don't give them quality coaching/decent weapons to get going. It's a hard gig, and these are young guys still developing.

Exactly - I don't see Fields or Wilson as guys who can make chicken salad out of chicken you-know-what. They're not elevating their guys in the same vein as a Rodgers/Mahomes/Wilson/Watson - they need to fill the roster out a bit with quality talent before they can put in a Fields or Wilson.

I get the "Silicon Valley" model is now en vogue in the NFL - fail as frequently as you can, but admit failure and move on ASAP - but Darnold isn't the failure, IMO. The roster construction around Darnold is the failure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

That guy isn't the future. Pick top 5 again next year and get a probably lesser QB prospect or hope to get one like Fields? I guess you can do that.

Or, you land the next Joe Burrow - somebody who nobody is talking about right now, someone who just "clicks" next season. Who knows?

It's a crapshoot no matter how you play it. 

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

Exactly - I don't see Fields or Wilson as guys who can make chicken salad out of chicken you-know-what. They're not elevating their guys in the same vein as a Rodgers/Mahomes/Wilson/Watson - they need to fill the roster out a bit with quality talent before they can put in a Fields or Wilson.

I get the "Silicon Valley" model is now en vogue in the NFL - fail as frequently as you can, but admit failure and move on ASAP - but Darnold isn't the failure, IMO. The roster construction around Darnold is the failure.

I agree the Jets have serious issues on offense with little talent. But they also have plenty of draft capital and tons of cap. They have a franchise LT and a couple decent WRs.

I'm not saying it's Darnolds fault. But I think at this point in his career he's not having a swift turnaround. At least not in NYJ. 

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Or, you land the next Joe Burrow - somebody who nobody is talking about right now, someone who just "clicks" next season. Who knows?

It's a crapshoot no matter how you play it. 

I mean, Burrow has his limitations himself.

Guess it depends what you want. But i think a new HC and Joe Douglas wants to get this going. Both of those QBs are worthy to be taken there and could also change the course of that franchise.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I'm not saying it's Darnolds fault. But I think at this point in his career he's not having a swift turnaround. At least not in NYJ. 

I can't say that without seeing him post-Gase. If NYJ is the future home of Joe Brady, I'd feel very strongly on Darnold as a CBPOY candidate.

Potentially missing out on TLaw is a major , major disappointment and could haunt them for a decade.

But they have a good GM. They’ll get a shot at a competent HC and they have cap space. A turnaround is still very possible and maybe even likely. It just won’t be with a generational player as a signal caller. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, Burrow has his limitations himself.

Absolutely, but you get what I'm saying here. I mean - this time last year, was anyone saying Wilson as a top 3 guy? No, it was 100% Lawrence/Fields/Trey Lance. The math has changed on that, in a very truncated season no less.

The math constantly changes in QB evaluation.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Guess it depends what you want. But i think a new HC and Joe Douglas wants to get this going. Both of those QBs are worthy to be taken there and could also change the course of that franchise.

Or they could fail under the same circumstances that Darnold failed - not enough talent to rely on.

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Absolutely, but you get what I'm saying here. I mean - this time last year, was anyone saying Wilson as a top 3 guy? No, it was 100% Lawrence/Fields/Trey Lance. The math has changed on that, in a very truncated season no less.

The math constantly changes in QB evaluation.

Or they could fail under the same circumstances that Darnold failed - not enough talent to rely on.

I get what you're saying. I just don't think you pass on a QB who has franchise capabilities until you have one.

Your in position to get a guy, you likely have a bright new HC coming in with a slew of picks/$ to continue building it up. I don't think you pass on that. If anything, draft one and keep Darnold unless someone offers a 2 (won't happen) and let them sit behind Darnold for now.

Darnold turns it around and ends up being a middle of the road type next year. They win 6-7 games. How are Jets fans/FO feeling about being in QB purgatory and outside of where you need to be for a legit QB prospect? We see Fields/Wilson having seasons similar to Herbert (maybe not statistically, but promise to be a legit QB in the league.

I can see it now...