The New York Jets

QBIso

Is this the win that will haunt this franchise for over a decade?

What do the Jets do with pick #2, if it falls that way? I would take Darnold over Justin Fields, so maybe they trade down. Probably what I would do. Call Chicago or Washington and make them bend over for pick #2. 

What can the Jets do now to salvage this win?

Edited by QBIso
  • Like 1

I don’t know anything about Fields. I do think modern day OSU QBs fall into the “USC QB” mantra. OSU is know for elite talent all around especially on their OL. QBs usually have enough time to go through multiple reads.

If I’m the Jets, I would probably entertain offers if they land the #2 or take Sewell and sure up the OL for the next 10 years with two franchise pieces in Sewell and Bechton. I don’t think Darnold is any good, but maybe a new coach and scheme gets him to play better. If he sucks still, you move on from him next year and are likely picking top 3-5 again. You can also go the stop gap route but who will be out there that would be cheap? At least Darnold will be on his last year of his contract.

Edited by RUGmen

Peyton Manning not making himself available at the right time...

Belichick resigns on a napkin...

They complete their 2nd biggest upset in their history to move away from T-Law...

Any of the 3 would probably = 15 years of competency.

It's the most cursed franchise in American sports (now that Cleveland have sorted it)

Edited by Hunter2_1

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Peyton Manning not making himself available at the right time...

Belichick resigns on a napkin...

They complete their 2nd biggest upset in their history to move away from T-Law...

It's the most cursed franchise in American sports (now that Cleveland have sorted it)

You just jinxed it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, QBIso said:

Is this the win that will haunt this franchise for over a decade?

What do the Jets do with pick #2, if it falls that way? I would take Darnold over Justin Fields, so maybe they trade down. Probably what I would do. Call Chicago or Washington and make them bend over for pick #2. 

What can the Jets do now to savage this win?

If I'm managing the team trading out of number 2 is my biggest priority. If I can convince Chicago  San Fran and Washington to get into a bidding war I can get some very valuable picks to build up the team. This gives Sam one more chance and give us the ammo to go get the top qb next year if Darnold flops again. If that happens and we grab the top qb, he will be coming into a much better situation then Sam and would be more likely to succeed.

Edited by drew39k
Wrong year for trask.
  • Like 2

Just now, drew39k said:

If I'm managing the team trading out of number 2 is my biggest priority. If I can convince Chicago  San Fran and Washington to get into a bidding war I can get some very valuable picks to build up the team. This gives Sam one more chance and give us the ammo to go get Trask next year if Darnold flops again. If that happens and we grab Trask he will be coming into a much better situation then Sam and would be more likely to succeed.

Trask is being drafted this year, isn't he? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Trask is being drafted this year, isn't he? 

Yes. And Trask isn’t nearly half the player Lawrence is. 

If I’m the Jets and want to get a QB, I’d take Zach Wilson and/or Lance before Fields. I’ve been off the Fields train for a while now. His recent stinkers have only solidified that thought. 

2 minutes ago, drew39k said:

...give us the ammo to go get Trask next year if Darnold flops again

Didn't Trask declare for this year? I see him as the future QB for San Francisco this upcoming draft.

I'm in agreement that you don't flip from Darnold for Justin Fields. I don't see Fields working in a situation where he's surrounded by only Denzel Mims and Mekhi Becton.

(I'll say that he WOULD be well suited to play in NY - the QB1: Beyond the Lights alumni is already used to cameras following him around due to his Netflix stardom, so that's a plus in his favor).

I think Darnold represents a better situation at QB over Fields, and that pick at 2 could be a nice carrot to dangle for a treasure trove of picks - NYJ gave up several picks to get Darnold to begin with, so recoup some of those picks and give Darnold one more year with a better coaching staff.

Perhaps Micah Parsons if they don't trade down? That defense is a real mess...

This is honestly one of the biggest wins in Jaguar franchise history. I haven't been this happy about the outcome of a game as a Jags fan in some time. If the Jags don't screw this up, this is going to be one of the biggest blunders in Jets history...yes, they will regret it. As a Jaguars fan, constantly seeing my team perennially being just good enough to miss out on every legit QB prospect, I know that there is no such thing as morale victories. There is no "carryover" to the next season.

If I'm the Jets...I'm strongly considering Sewell. If he has an elite grade...I'm taking him, and seeing if Darnold can win with a more functional team and management around him. Darnold is only 23 years old...I wouldn't give up on him to take any QB in the draft not named Lawrence. If you don't have a great grade on Sewell (concerned about his year away from football, for instance), I would trade down. The #2 spot will still be highly valued. You might be able to trade down to #4 with Carolina and still get Sewell...it's possible.