The New York Jets

QBIso

53 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Totally get it - I was listening to Seth Payne on 610 and he described this as the Silicon Valley model, which I liked. Early on, companies would throw everything against the wall to see what would stick. They'd fail, but they would admit the failure quickly and move on.

That's sort of the change the NFL is going through now. We saw Arizona admit failure on Josh Rosen and move on to Kyler Murray, we're going to see Football Team admit failure on Dwayne Haskins and move onto someone (Trey Lance?) and we're probably going to see NYJ admit failure on Sam Darnold and move on to Justin Fields. That's 99% what's going to happen, I see that.

My question is - was the failure on Darnold, or was he the victim of failure? I personally believe he's the victim of failure.

But what has Darnold shown? Not being biased as a Giants fan or any hatred towards the Jets.

He has atrocious mechanics, head scratching decision making, poor pocket presence, and an average arm at best. 

3 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

But what has Darnold shown? Not being biased as a Giants fan or any hatred towards the Jets.

He has atrocious mechanics, head scratching decision making, poor pocket presence, and an average arm at best. 

At times his rookie season, I saw good anticipation, solid mechanics, and good processing. I actually saw a franchise guy to build around back then.

I think those things are still there - just buried under a bunch of bad habits that were learned while surviving no-win situations.

Just now, ET80 said:

Let's say that Darnold finds his inner Drew Brees, or Tannehill post-Gase. What's the play then? 

Sounds like an ideal scenario to me and one of the best problems you could have.

I'd imagine a slew of teams would line up trying to get their hands on Fields/Wilson in this scenario.

3 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

Good athleticism and grit, and is only 23 years old.

His physical traits may not be elite but he was an early pick for a reason. It just depends if the Jets have hurt his development too much 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

He's still living off the pre-draft hype.  If he wasn't so highly thought of prior to the draft, he would have been benched by now.

Just now, .Buzz said:

Sounds like an ideal scenario to me and one of the best problems you could have.

I'd imagine a slew of teams would line up trying to get their hands on Fields/Wilson in this scenario.

Perhaps - I think these shiny new toys are forgotten about once the next models are available, but I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Perhaps - I think these shiny new toys are forgotten about once the next models are available, but I could be wrong.

Maybe for teams picking top 3 next year, but the SF/DEN/NE etc. of the world that don't have the luxury of picking high enough? Or teams that have elite grades on them? Idk idk idk

5 minutes ago, Gmen said:

He's still living off the pre-draft hype.  If he wasn't so highly thought of prior to the draft, he would have been benched by now.

Yeah you’re right. They should bench Darnold and hand the keys to the car over to.....91 year old Joe Flacco? Luke Falk?

Get real dude. 

41 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Fair point, I can admit this isn't something you know about a guy. 

I guess my point is as so - the potential downside of picking Wilson/Fields is greater than the upside of sticking with Darnold.

If you pick Fields/Wilson and they bust similar to Darnold - you're right back here in year 2-3, without the contribution of a non-QB who could be picked at this spot. You're talking about Fields/Wilson in the same way you're talking about Darnold. Sure, there is upside that these guys turn into bonafide stars, but how much of that is deterred because the Jets are SO bad everywhere else?

Meanwhile, let's say the picks are traded down and a few key positions are brought in - a franchise calibur WR and a key defensive player. You then find a HC who can get a turnaround out of Darnold - how much better does that set the franchise up? Sure, there's downside to be had, but what does that mean? That means you're able to definitively say "Darnold IS the problem" and you're picking another franchise QB in 2021.

I'm of the mindset that they're throwing the baby out with the bathwater by cutting Darnold loose for any QB not named Trevor Lawrence.

I think that the Jets need to figure out if they think Fields is the real deal or not. If not, trade the pick. Sewell is a ridiculous talent, but they're set with Becton. Then, they can decide how they feel about the other QBs (Wilson, Lance, Trask, and Jones). If you feel any are franchise guys, you find an opportunity to draft them. I'm not sure about Darnold. He had moments of good in the LAR game, but Gase really didn't trust him much. Now, Gase is terrible, but you're running a real risk tying yourself to Darnold and passing on all these QBs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, QBIso said:

Yeah you’re right. They should bench Darnold and hand the keys to the car over to.....91 year old Joe Flacco? Luke Falk?

Get real dude. 

The Bears benched Mitchell Trubisky for NIck Foles.  It's not unprecedented.

2 minutes ago, QBIso said:

Just playing it out in my head...

Bears call. Offer their 1st and 3rd this year. A 1st and 2nd next year. 

Do the Jets say yay?

That's not going to be enough.

But if they either believe in Darnold or don't have an elite grade on the QB, yes, they should trade down.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Maybe for teams picking top 3 next year, but the SF/DEN/NE etc. of the world that don't have the luxury of picking high enough? Or teams that have elite grades on them? Idk idk idk

No, you admittedly painted me in a corner on this one. It's a valid outcome... and a really enviable one.

• Like 1