The New York Jets

QBIso

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

But - if you took stock of that current roster - do you think a new QB resolves the issues?

I legitimately don't know, I've seen horrible teams turn a corner when they go a different direction at QB (Kyler Murray comes to mind).

They have a ton of draft capital. It might not solve their problems in 2021, but it very well could by 2022.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

If the Jets want to go the route of fixing the situation around Darnold and hoping he can become a solid middle of the road QB than I guess have at it. The chances of him being anything more at this point is low...

Top 10/franchise QB? Very unlikely. Passing up the opportunity for a young highly skilled QB in a draft that could be that to hang your hat on Darnold becoming a competent solid starter is just wild to me.

He's 23 years old. You don't think that discarding him right now is a little premature? He's not a running QB that you'd expect to get immediate returns. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

I wasn’t aware being a Jets fan was a worse fate than being a Falcons fan ;).

Why would guys lose a game in order to ensure they get replaced? Who’s benching the players? Gase? He must not want a job next year.

Should Darnold throw some interceptions to make sure he loses his job? Nah better bench him for Flacco to throw the game (even though Joe has been better than Darnold this year).

Keep this same energy when your employer wants to improve on YOUR performance. Maybe you should stink to get someone better in there..

ridiculous that this is a common take right now.

Did you not read my post? 

I clearly said that the Jets organization should have made moves to ensure that the worst talent is on the field. That could come from the top. It has nothing to do with the players. 

20 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

He's 23 years old. You don't think that discarding him right now is a little premature? He's not a running QB that you'd expect to get immediate returns. 

I don't. Again, he's been in the league 3 years. I think it's fair to start to make judgements on what he is.

Does that mean it's impossible he could exceed what I said? No, we've seen guys like Tannehill have resurgances. But I'm not going to act like that's likely or something a team should think there's a good chance of happening. He's been a below average QB with very little to hang your hat on in his career. I'm not going to put that all on coaching and the talent surrounding him. If you're "the guy", I think you'd see reasons for optimism by now.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Eh...I think that you can start making the judgments at this point. Sometimes you just know and this isn't new at this age.  Washington is already finished with Haskins who is only 2 mos older than Darnold. Both Arizona and the Dolphins gave up on Rosen who was even younger at the time than Darnold is now.  I think a lot of this is based on the draft hype, and I get it. I haven't seen many people at all advocating for the Broncos sticking with Lock, but I'd argue that he's flashed more than Darnold at this point (obviously his situation is a little better, but watching Lock probably tells you what you need to know). Is there any real reason to applaud the Bears for holding on to Trubisky in year 4? And I say that while understanding that's he's played quite well the last few weeks (while also putting them into a bit of a funky conundrum). Paxton Lynch was done as a QB at 23. Even if you wanted to justify his play based on the situation, there's simply no way to feel good about the fact that he's arguably been worse than Joe Flacco. 

I get that it's an awful look optically if he turns it around elsewhere...but those are some pretty extreme, rare scenarios I would think.. 

It's at a point now where I would tend to respect whatever decision they made regarding him. IF they picked a new QB and sent him off, I would understand it. If they traded down, grabbed some capital and built the team around Darnold, I would understand that too. I mean, he's been really bad, so if they are at a point where they feel comfortable moving off him at this point, there's probably reasons for it and they probably extend beyond just the games that we are seeing. 

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

People saying Tannehill had a resurgence as if he didn’t go to the playoffs with Gase year and injuries were mostly holding him back. Darnold has shown he’s inconsistent, panics and makes mental errors that a good Quarterback shouldn’t. 

Tannehill was never as bad as his critics would've wanted you to believe. He was a great QB on a bad team during his entire tenure with the Dolphins.

Conversely, Darnold has been a bad QB on a horrible team.

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

People saying Tannehill had a resurgence as if he didn’t go to the playoffs with Gase year and injuries were mostly holding him back. Darnold has shown he’s inconsistent, panics and makes mental errors that a good Quarterback shouldn’t. 

Not really trying to make the comparison to Tanny. He did have much higher points early in his career. I'm just saying that there are examples of guys improving as times goes on/in better situations.

But I agree, he has serious issues. I don't think getting a good coach, with where he's at in his career, is likely to catapult him to being a legit QB. Think continuing to roll with him would be a mistake unless JD doesn't like any of the QBs (which I don't see happening).

11 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Tannehill was never as bad as his critics would've wanted you to believe. He was a great QB on a bad team during his entire tenure with the Dolphins.

Conversely, Darnold has been a bad QB on a horrible team.

Exactly. The Gase connection is the only reason they make the comparison but IMO it’s not even close. 

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Not really trying to make the comparison to Tanny. He did have much higher points early in his career. I'm just saying that there are examples of guys improving as times goes on/in better situations.

But I agree, he has serious issues. I don't think getting a good coach, with where he's at in his career, is likely to catapult him to being a legit QB. Think continuing to roll with him would be a mistake unless JD doesn't like any of the QBs (which I don't see happening).

Of course guys can improve but we have a huge financial decision to make on Darnold next season. Add in the fact that players more often than not don’t improve, they simply are what they are. 

• Like 2

Are they not tanking after all? In that case, I may have misjudged them. If you want to become a good team, you do it by trying to win now--not by waiting for a hero to come along in the draft. 

Mind you, I'm giving the credit to the players and not to Adam Gase, who should never hold an NFL coaching job again.

Just now, y*so*blu said:

Are they not tanking after all? In that case, I may have misjudged them. If you want to become a good team, you do it by trying to win now--not by waiting for a hero to come along in the draft. 

Mind you, I'm giving the credit to the players and not to Adam Gase, who should never hold an NFL coaching job again.

Tanking really is more of a fan thing. If there was a situation where tanking were happening...I thought this would be it. Hell, I did think it was it when they lost to the Raiders. But teams seldom tank. Players have incentives, contracts to play for. These guys need to put out film, same for the coaches. While this example is far more extreme, this same thing happened in 2016 when Myles Garrett was clearly the number 1 guy on the board coming out and then the big drop. Niners and Browns were going at it for #1 overall. The browns weirdly decided to win their second to last game of the season for their only win, which gave the niners the #1 overall pick based on strength of schedule.  The niners then decided to beat (humorously enough) the Rams in overtime later that day,  to cost themselves the #1 overall pick. 49ers had already fired the GM, lame duck head coach. There wasn't a reason for either team to win, yet they both still did 

• Like 2

I wonder if Lawrence preferred the Jets or Jaguars here. Far more marketable in NY but he gets to stay down south with arguably a better supporting cast in JAX. 

Anyways. It’s a terrible scenario for NYJ. There’s not a Chase Young pass rusher at the top of the draft that relieves you of missing out on Joe Burrow and waiting another year at QB. The best non-QB prospect in this class plays the same position as arguably their most valuable piece. 

If I’m a Jets fan, my preferred scenario is to trade down out of #2 with anyone who falls in love with Fields or Wilson. Pick up Chase or DSmith to give whoever your QB is a fighting chance. I’d give Darnold one more chance with a new staff, similar to what WFT did with Haskins this year. And I’d want to acquire a youngish QB with upside in a new setting to serve as Darnold’s mid-season replacement; be that Wentz, Carr, JimmyG, or Trubisky to see if you can’t strike Tannehill-level gold. 

All of that being said, Zach Wilson is not a bad consolation prize and I’m eager to see where his stock ends up relative to Fields. But it’s an ugly situation for any QB with that existing roster. They need to spend their 2nd on whoever is available between ETN and Najee.