The New York Jets

QBIso

4 minutes ago, QBIso said:

Just playing it out in my head...

Bears call. Offer their 1st and 3rd this year. A 1st and 2nd next year. 

Do the Jets say yay?

For the Jets #2? Not nearly enough. The Bears aren't going to make that move...cost is so prohibitive. The Eagles gave up more than that to draft Wentz and were only coming up from #8, I believe. The Jets have some interesting trade offers potentially though. Sewell should be a very intriguing guy for a lot of teams, and there's no doubt that that everyone knows they have to jump Cincy. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

For the Jets #2? Not nearly enough. The Bears aren't going to make that move...cost is so prohibitive. The Eagles gave up more than that to draft Wentz and were only coming up from #8, I believe. The Jets have some interesting trade offers potentially though. Sewell should be a very intriguing guy for a lot of teams, and there's no doubt that that everyone knows they have to jump Cincy. 

Maybe Dallas would be receptive to a small trade-up to grab Penei. Seems like they somehow need OL help after having an unreal OL in the past. 

Then they should spend every other resource they have fixing that uninspired and frankly, embarrassing defense. 

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If you feel any are franchise guys, you find an opportunity to draft them.

But - by virtue of trading a lot to the Colts to ensure drafting Darnold - didn't they feel as if he was a franchise guy?

The Jets have to take internal stock here. Is this a situation where a QB can thrive? Is drafting QB after QB going to resolve the actual issue? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

But - by virtue of trading a lot to the Colts to ensure drafting Darnold - didn't they feel as if he was a franchise guy?

The Jets have to take internal stock here. Is this a situation where a QB can thrive? Is drafting QB after QB going to resolve the actual issue? 

That was a past GM and coaching staff. Darnold is now in his third year. You get it wrong sometimes. You don't double down because of past belief. The question is if the current GM and new HC still believe in Darnold. 

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

There lies the difference. Part of why the Jets have been a QB black hole is because we don’t build around the QB properly. Sánchez’ first couple of years might be the exception in recent years. We don’t have the supporting cast to allow Fields to develop. Look at what we did to Sam? Both are pretty similar prospects. Fields might be slightly better because of his long ball. We do have $90 million in cap space. So that’ll go a long way. 

It's a tough spot to be in.  If you build the team too greatly, you may not be bad enough to land your QB and then you're floating through an endless supply of retreads or drafting the guys that will one day be those retreads. I get the Jets passing on QB at #2, maybe trading the pick and acquiring more assets. But then what if that team goes 6-10, has pick #9 or pick #10 and Howell / Slovis go 1-2? You could be stuck in that area where you're not bad enough to get the top prospects, but not good enough to compete. At the same time, if you pick the QB with no team around him, he can flame out or you can burn through his rookie deal without putting establishing a competitive team. 

23 minutes ago, QBIso said:

Just playing it out in my head...

Bears call. Offer their 1st and 3rd this year. A 1st and 2nd next year. 

Do the Jets say yay?

Who is at 2 that is worth that much when the bears have so many missing pieces?

This is why you do not keep HC around that are not in your future plans. There is no reason to hold on to Gase several weeks ago and this is what cost the organization. He is trying to scrape up some wins to get some dignity back in his career and by letting him go, could have pushed for the opportunity to lose out. Gase is now screwing over future seasons by winning that game. Jaguars may do the same if they keep Marrone around as he is also likely gone after this year too and no reason he sticks around.

Trevor to me is a guy who can make a difference for the Jets, I just dont see it in Fields being above what Darnold is. The new HC needs to look at whether it is in their best interest to take Fields or look at Darnold and find him the correct pieces for him to be successful whether it is the best olineman in the draft or the best weapon in the draft either way this can help elevate Darnold. Not to mention an offensive coach whether it is the HC or OC to actually put Darnold in a better position then he has been in. I have always said Gase was just a product of Peyton Manning and those type of offensive coaches will land HC jobs but rarely successful because of it. Bring in an offensive guy who has taken an overall offense from mediocre to playoff contender. As much as I would hate to see Daboll go I think Darnold would benefit from him. Another offensive mind guy would be Titans OC Arthur Smith. Jets have a solid amount of cap space and draft picks. If they can put the money to great use at positions such as the oline rather then rb and then draft guys like Bama WR Smith and UF TE Pitts in the 1st round (if available) then follow it up with a rb in the mid rounds this offense would look completely different for darnold.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

If the Jets send us their 2022 1st, we’ll send them nick Foles and agree to lose to the jags this week. 

Deal. Don’t make it obvious though. Have your coaches accidentally bump into your better players in practice and then put them on concussion protocol until after the game.

21 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

It would have to be for Justin Fields or Trey Lance if they believe neither will drop. Trubisky and Foles are clearly not the answer at the QB position.

I don’t think anyone at any point expected Foles to amount to anything in Chicago, mostly just people hoping he’d be a step up from The Truth in what seemed like a postseason bound season. Ultimately what killed us is not using The Truth as we should, although we have the last three weeks finally. In fact, now I’m thinking about starting a cause and effect thread about every quarterback in the league and what Nagy could do to sabotage their entire career. 

Id rather have lance if anything though. Fields is the most bloated overrated qb in recent memory. And we will see how bad his folding under pressure shows itself against Clemson. Up to this point he’s been bailed out of his bad games

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's a tough spot to be in.  If you build the team to greatly, you may not be bad enough to land your QB and then you're floating through an endless supply of retreads or drafting the guys that will one day be those retreads. I get the Jets passing on QB at #2, maybe trading the pick and acquiring more assets. But then what if that team goes 6-10, has pick #9 or pick #10 and Howell / Slovis go 1-2? You could be stuck in that area where you're not bad enough to get the top prospects, but not good enough to compete. At the same time, if you pick the QB with no team around him, he can flame out or you can burn through his rookie deal without putting establishing a competitive team. 

Possibly. As bad as the supporting cast is on offense, our defense is worse. Although Q is playing lights out this year. It’s going to take GM of the Year type stuff for us to be competitive next year.

The real tragedy of this situation is not missing out on Lawrence but seeing Darnold flame out. Jets fans didn’t come into this season thinking Trevor. We wanted Sam to succeed.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Let's say that Darnold finds his inner Drew Brees, or Tannehill post-Gase. What's the play then? 

Like the Chargers did 15 years ago - you have to let Darnold walk

I can't picture the realistic season that Darnold could have after drafting a QB top 2 that would make me trust him. Even if he has a probowl caliber season I just wouldn't have the trust to pay the man with a 2nd overall pick sitting behind him

I agree with the original proposal if you don't trade down. Draft Fields (or whichever QB you have at the top of your list), let Darnold keep taking his lumps, and in the meantime go after some OL and WR to help the new guy succeed

Darnold is done, let him be the sacrificial lamb on the final year of his contract

Edited by Tk3
  • Like 1