Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

22 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Very well stated (and measured) post Spartacus, I agree with almost everything you wrote.

I too am optimistic that the CB play will improve this season with the additions of House and King and even more because I can't imagine the position being as decimated by injury as it was in 2016.

That said, it is hardly Packer blasphemy to question whether the CB position will in fact be a position of strength in 2017. 

The play at corner can't get worse than what it was last year, right?

I'm thinking, though, that House will be fine, King (my favorite guy) is going to ride the pine and struggle when in the games...early, Randall is going to be up and down.  Rollins is going to be okay.  Gunter should ride the pine.  Pipkins should as well.

This season is going to come down to how quickly Randall, Rollins and King can develop.  

And much of their success will be dictated by the pass rush.  So here's to hoping Clay and Nick are healthy and that Lowry and Daniels step up their games.

Re: the CB issue..

We're going to see dramatic improvement from the group. Full stop. 

Top-16 isn't out of the question and should be the expectation. And that said, that's all we need. We have pieces this season; last year, we virtually lost all of them by week four. 

11 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That's not even what this is about.  There's this prevailing sense that CB is a position to worry about when it's not.  If you consider the 2016 season to have consisted of Randall, Rollins, Gunter and Hyde (as it did), and if you consider the 2016 season to have consisted of Randall (hurt) Rollins (hurt) Gunter and Hyde, which it was, you're looking at House, King, healthy Randall, healthy Rollins.  That is easily the most improved position group we've had, maybe ever.  Note the improved part.  And yet people are still acting as if it's the logical conclusion to be skeptical.  The logical conclusion is to be optimistic, not pessimistic, when it comes to the CB position, and people saying that area treated like eternal optimists when it's not optimism saying that it's our most improved position group, it's realism. 

Why would CB not be a position of worry? You have nothing but a bunch of guys coming off of bad years and Kevin King who is a rookie. There are perfectly logical reasons why each of those players were coming off of bad years which gives me a lot of hope for this secondary.  I am definitely excited about this secondary and I do think they will be better than last year but I would argue that your opinion is too optimistic and there should be a healthy dose of skepticism with this group. 

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The play at corner can't get worse than what it was last year, right?

I'm thinking, though, that House will be fine, King (my favorite guy) is going to ride the pine and struggle when in the games...early, Randall is going to be up and down.  Rollins is going to be okay.  Gunter should ride the pine.  Pipkins should as well.

This season is going to come down to how quickly Randall, Rollins and King can develop.  

And much of their success will be dictated by the pass rush.  So here's to hoping Clay and Nick are healthy and that Lowry and Daniels step up their games.

I agree with everything you said.  I'm hoping by playoff time King has put it together to really make this secondary more formidable than it was during the regular season. Top 15 unit during regular season with at least top 10 to 5 in the playoffs although that might be too optimistic. 

Just now, Spartacus said:

Why would CB not be a position of worry? You have nothing but a bunch of guys coming off of bad years and Kevin King who is a rookie.

I'm going to be very careful here so as not to offend you: I strongly, strongly, strongly disagree with your stance and find it to be a very poor stance that neglects so, so, so many aspects. 

"A bunch of guys coming off bad years."

Davon House - When he played, he played exceptionally well, and his scheme was CHANGED, thus rendering his strengths USELESS. 
Rollins - His bad year was because it was an INJURED year, and by that logic, we had nothing but a bunch of guys coming off of bad years at WR last year. 
Name a cornerback as physically gifted AND experienced as Kevin King that we've had in the past ten years with this staff.  You can't. 

22 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm going to be very careful here so as not to offend you: I strongly, strongly, strongly disagree with your stance and find it to be a very poor stance that neglects so, so, so many aspects. 

"A bunch of guys coming off bad years."

Davon House - When he played, he played exceptionally well, and his scheme was CHANGED, thus rendering his strengths USELESS. 
Rollins - His bad year was because it was an INJURED year, and by that logic, we had nothing but a bunch of guys coming off of bad years at WR last year. 
Name a cornerback as physically gifted AND experienced as Kevin King that we've had in the past ten years with this staff.  You can't. 

This subject is getting pretty worn out, but it seems like you think we are lining up some combination of Sherman, Talib, Harris and Peterson out there...

Is there reason to be optimistic about this group, for sure....when you compare it to last year, hell you can only go up from there. But you talk about House like he's Richard Sherman. You keep saying that Rollins/Randall had bad years ONLY because they were injured...you don't know that and there is no evidence to substantiate it. Then you talk about King like he's not a rookie who has been struggling in the preseason in coverage. I think King has great upside, but that's all he is right now, a rookie with upside. Again, a little premature to crown him as anything more than that when he hasn't even played a regular season game yet. The guy could be a Pro Bowler in 3 years or out of football for all we know. 

Reason to be optimistic about this group = Yes. Saying the group is a strong, tested unit with nothing to be concerned about = No. 

21 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm going to be very careful here so as not to offend you

Boy aren't you Mr Condescending. I'll ask, what was the point of this unless it was to try to offend? If you would have just posted your stance we could have had a friendly debate but you can't help slipping one little dig in can you? For someone complaining about me being easily offended you sure seem sensitive about being called out. 

Archived