Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

Just now, Haha21 said:

Kony Ealy was just released. Is he a fit in our defense? He is still young and not far removed from a crazy Superbowl performance. I say we take a flier on him. He would be better than Fackrell at this point. 

Anybody would be. 

We could franchise Butler I suppose, or negotiate an extension with Cobb's money plus some extra.  He's gonna want top CB money though.

Kony Ealy is not a good fit here for the same reason as he isn't a good fit in NE- he's really only passable on the line in the 4-3, not good at setting the edge vs the run game, and not flexible in his abilities.

He's (Ealy) as good a fit as Fackrell.  Can't possibly be worse.  And he could put his hand in the dirt and play some DE if necessary...

I give no reason why not to bring him in.

And if Brooks is available, get him too.  Can't have enough pass rushers.  Can have enough special teams OLBs....

For that very reason, I'd bring in Ragland, if it costs nothing.

This notion that Fackerell is awful just needs to die. He's had some rough moments. He's also had some good ones. I think people just heard the 1v1 reps thing and decided that's it he sucks. I think he's better than guys like Walden and Zombo.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

This notion that Fackerell is awful just needs to die. He's had some rough moments. He's also had some good ones. I think people just heard the 1v1 reps thing and decided that's it he sucks. I think he's better than guys like Walden and Zombo.

Oh, I didn't like him long before I heard the 1v1 thing.  If that 1v1 thing is true, how can you defend that?  Has he done literally anything to get excited about?  And it's Fackrell, not Fackerell, holy mackerel. 

27 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Oh, I didn't like him long before I heard the 1v1 thing.  If that 1v1 thing is true, how can you defend that?  Has he done literally anything to get excited about?  And it's Fackrell, not Fackerell, holy mackerel. 

A third round is usually intended to be a starter down the road. I was hoping for one of the best pressure guys off the bench, but he looks awful and gets dominated by back-ups. The guy was called by his coach and Clay. He has to step up or we are in trouble.

3 hours ago, spilltray said:

I'm perfectly in favor of Fackrell seeing the field plenty this year and continuing to develop, which will happen even as a No. 4/5 OLB, but right now, the drop off between him and our starters is so dramatic, we need a vet for at least this year to add experience/depth to the position. We have a Super Bowl team here, not a rebuilding, "see what happens" team. That's what makes a guy like Brooks such a no-brainer move. If we don't bring him in and pass (like Walden and a few other vets who were out there), to me it highlights the shortcoming of TT's GMing. The guy is very good at several aspects of his job but recognizing these types of issues and filling holes is far from one of them. Based on what we've seen through 3 games from our OLB depth, if TT still doesnt add a vet, no one could convince me it was for any other reason than TT's known stubbornness and "my way or the highway mentality" when it comes to signing an outside player vs one of his draft picks. 

I just don't see Fackrell developing at all this year if he has the role that he's bound to have this year.  You don't develop by getting on the field when you're not ready.  That's when problems become permanent.  I always think back to Ahmad Carrol and how he had such a problem of holding that he had to wear boxing gloves during practice.  We essentially ruined him.  I'm not saying he wouldn't bust no matter what he did, but he was CLEARLY not ready for NFL action, and yet he played extensively as a rookie, starting 11 games.  His next season he started 16 games. 

When Fackrell isn't able to generate much of anything going up against second string offensive linemen in preseason, expecting him to do anything against starting offensive linemen this year, even in relief duties, isn't going to help him, and it certainly isn't going to help us. 

It would be one thing if we were looking at Fackrell and being disappointed, but prepared and ready for disappointment.  We're not.  We are putting entirely too much faith into Fackrell to be our relief pass rusher. 

HZ - Seems like you are giving Fackrell a life sentence based on where you think he is this August. My advice is: don't fall in love with your opinion of your opinions. We're all at a huge disadvantage here, very limited info and no film review with the position coaches.

These guys often develop throughout the season by playing in actual games and it seems like that's the plan with KF. The Packers knew that Peppers was better than Fackrell in August - they also think they know that Fackrell will be better than Peppers in January, and that's what really matters. We'll see what happens going forward

You also remember that this defense is predicated on creating confusion and hesitation for the opposing offense. Who is coming and from where ? Its not only about winning 1 vs 1, there are ways to manufacture an advantage and the Packers are reasonably adept at doing that.

Just now, Shanedorf said:

HZ - Seems like you are giving Fackrell a life sentence based on where you think he is this August. My advice is: don't fall in love with your opinion of your opinions. We're all at a huge disadvantage here, very limited info and no film review with the position coaches.

I want to be wrong, but I don't think I am.  I'll admit I was biased the second we drafted him at 24 years old, 25 before the season even ended, but nothing I've seen has given me any reason to hope he can provide any value to us this year in a year where we need somebody to provide relief pass rush. 

Tossed like a ragdoll running onto the field against Washington, coaching staff saying he needs to actually do something instead of know what to do, the fact that he seems capable of being blocked by a thought in preseason games.  I'll be the first to admit that I don't know what to look for in assessment, but compared to players like Perry/Matthews/other GOOD pass rushers, it honestly looks to me like Fackrell dances with offensive linemen rather than tries to get through them. 

Archived