Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

Just now, packfanfb said:

This subject is getting pretty worn out, but it seems like you think we are lining up some combination of Sherman, Talib, Harris and Peterson out there...

Reason to be optimistic about this group = Yes. Saying the group is a strong, tested unit with nothing to be concerned about = No. 

This is just... I don't know what this is.  What do you think I'm saying?  That we're a top CB unit in the NFL?  It's not.  If you define strong as top 16, we're a top 16 CB team right now.  Unless you can find 16 teams other than us who have more talent mixed with experience than us, we're a strong CB team right now. 

List 16 teams stronger at CB than we are.  Consider their top 4 corners.  Their top 3 have to be better than House/King/Randall.  Assume full health.  I'll name 16 CB groups we're stronger than.

Cowboys - House/Randall/King/Rollins are better than Scandrick/Carroll/Brown.
Steelers - Other than Burns, who do they have?  Gay?
49ers, Lions, Bears, Panthers,
Rams (after Trumaine they're not as good as King/Randall/Rollins/Gunter)
Browns, Saints, Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Colts, Jaguars, Titans, Raiders (Sean Smith facing suspension, Conley is a rookie about 10 picks higher than King, and Amerson isn't as good as House was in 2015). 

That's 16 teams with worse CB groups than ours, so that puts us in the top half of the league.  So no, we're not the Broncos, the Cardinals, the Seahawks, but there are 27 leagues that aren't a top 5 CB team. 

We're stronger at CB than the majority of the league going into the season.  If you don't consider that a strength, you're being shortsighted when it comes to the NFL. 

Just now, Spartacus said:

Boy aren't you Mr Condescending. I'll ask, what was the point of this unless it was to try to offend? If you would have just posted your stance we could have had a friendly debate but you can't help slipping one little dig in can you? For someone complaining about me being easily offended you sure seem sensitive about being called out. 

Dude, for real, relax.  I'm attacking your argument, not you.  If you can't handle that, disregard talking to me because I do the same thing to everyone.  I was joking and you clearly can't take it, so disregard me mentioning you in my last post and just ignore me because I'm not going to deal with someone as sensitive as you clearly are.  I wasn't being sensitive about being called out, I was calling you out for being so sensitive.  Lol.  Not doing this.  Bye. 

57 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I agree with everything you said.  I'm hoping by playoff time King has put it together to really make this secondary more formidable than it was during the regular season. Top 15 unit during regular season with at least top 10 to 5 in the playoffs although that might be too optimistic. 

Just me thinking here, but King looks like a kid that is thinking too much and who is physically not as strong as the competition.

He will get by this year...better later than earlier.

Next year after a year of playing and a year of getting stronger, the kid could be amazing.

This year?  This needs to be the year of the R&R cornerbacks.  If they can find their grove, the secondary will be good.  If they struggle, so too will the defense.  Hate to put that on them, but that is really what this season is going to come down to.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just me thinking here, but King looks like a kid that is thinking too much and who is physically not as strong as the competition.

He will get by this year...better later than earlier.

Next year after a year of playing and a year of getting stronger, the kid could be amazing.

This year?  This needs to be the year of the R&R cornerbacks.  If they can find their grove, the secondary will be good.  If they struggle, so too will the defense.  Hate to put that on them, but that is really what this season is going to come down to.

I'm hoping he comes on during the end of the year. Hes got the athletic potential to make up for a lot of shortcomings but it looks like hes playing a little scared right now. 

55 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I'm hoping he comes on during the end of the year. Hes got the athletic potential to make up for a lot of shortcomings but it looks like hes playing a little scared right now. 

If by "scared" you mean timid and unsure, I agree.  The way he hit in pre-season tells me that "scared" isn't in his personality.  But , I think we are on the same page.

Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

Who could have ever foreseen both Matthews & Perry being injury concerns heading into the 2017 season? 

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/28/packers-olb-clay-matthews-dealing-with-mystery-injury/

Lol. Hey, they made it through 2 full preseason games where they each played about 2-4 series. Not too shabby. 

5 minutes ago, PackyAttacky said:

Is this not the media misquoting Mac and running with it, he just said Clay left the game.

Fackrell mentioned Matthews "going down" or something to that effect in the locker room. It may very well be minor and nothing to worry about, but it appears it is some type of injury. 

Even if Matthews and Perry are both fine, still like to get both Brooks and Biegel into the mix asap. Add some life to the back end of the OLB corp. Keep Fackrell and Elliot on the 53 to complete the 6-man OLB group. Send Gilbert back to the PS and keep him there in case you need to call him up during the season. 

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Even if Matthews and Perry are both fine, still like to get both Brooks and Biegel into the mix asap. Add some life to the back end of the OLB corp. Keep Fackrell and Elliot on the 53 to complete the 6-man OLB group. Send Gilbert back to the PS and keep him there in case you need to call him up during the season. 

Oh yeah I agree with that for sure. The domestic violence makes me wary of Brooks, but if that is not an issue sign him for sure.

Archived