Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

2 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Just caught up on this thread.  Try to remember that Fackrell is in his second year.  There were plenty of people who wanted Adams gone after his second year.  Not to mention the things people wanted done with Randall and Rollins in their second years.  Fack seems to have become the whipping boy, so be it.  He's not the aggressive pass rushing demon people want to see, but he is a solid contributor on special teams. He also fits Capers 'disguise' defenses, Fack can turn and drop into coverage very well.  He holds the edge better than Elliot.  The kid still has all the physical attributes you look for, seems people expect more (because of his age?).

I still think there's a chance he steps up into his role because he has the tools.  Like someone mentioned that King plays tentative, that's what Fack looks like, disappointing since its his second year, but something that can develop as he becomes more comfortable in his assignments.  Becoming more decisive and disruptive- yes, I think that's still very possible.

The difference to me..Adams to Fackrell is age and production.

Adams already had some production...and it was easy to see he was injured in his second year.

Fackrell is healthy.  Not strong, not fast, not quick.  He just doesn't look the part of a football player.  Doesn't mean he isn't a good guy.  Doesn't mean that he isn't smart, or doesn't understand the defense.  

It does mean that I think the club can do better than him.  If they don't cut him, then they do need to bury him on the depth chart because he literally brings nothing to the field right now.   That second year jump just didn't happen. 

the big reason to move on from Cobb is that Nelson is better in the slot over the next 2-3 years, and Cobb is not gonna be used in the backfield as much as he was previously.  If Nelson is the best slot guy, and we have a logical backup in the slot (that's a bit up in the air), then what exactly is the purpose of Cobb, let alone his purpose at $10M/year?  When we aren't playing 3+ WRs, we have a very strong TE who can flex into the slot, and a 2nd TE who is possibly frisky there as well.

Cobb is certainly not seeing another contract with GB unless it's extremely cheap...

So yeah - I get the reason to move on from Cobb, but you need to get some good value in return because the guy will still be productive this year and next.  Having more weapons on this offense is perhaps not the ideal asset allocation from a cap perspective.  But it's not worth it to trade Cobb for cents on the dollar just to re-balance.

Just now, fattlipp said:

We had a heated Zach Brown debate earlier in off season, you defended Blake and Ryan as the ILB's of the future. etc...

Ah, you get in as many heated debates as I do and it's tough to keep track.  I probably said something about him being on 3 teams in three years, which I'd stand by now.  If that happens, a player is either not as good as they seem, the person isn't as good as they seem, or they freestyle a lot.  Wouldn't want any of that in Green Bay.  I'm perfectly content with Ryan/Martinez/Thomas, Jones on passing downs and taking shots on 4th-6th round ILBs in the draft for the foreseeable future unless a top talent at the position somehow fell to our late first round pick.  I only see like... Probably 5 linebackers in the league that have a huge impact, so I don't really see the position as that important because there are a lot of really good defenses without great ILBs.  Etc. 

19 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

the big reason to move on from Cobb is that Nelson is better in the slot over the next 2-3 years, and Cobb is not gonna be used in the backfield as much as he was previously.  If Nelson is the best slot guy, and we have a logical backup in the slot (that's a bit up in the air), then what exactly is the purpose of Cobb, let alone his purpose at $10M/year?  When we aren't playing 3+ WRs, we have a very strong TE who can flex into the slot, and a 2nd TE who is possibly frisky there as well.

Cobb is certainly not seeing another contract with GB unless it's extremely cheap...

So yeah - I get the reason to move on from Cobb, but you need to get some good value in return because the guy will still be productive this year and next.  Having more weapons on this offense is perhaps not the ideal asset allocation from a cap perspective.  But it's not worth it to trade Cobb for cents on the dollar just to re-balance.

i'll also add that Davis (returns) and McCaffrey (slot potential) are much, much cheaper options and perhaps better value as well. I was a huge Cobb fan, but his pay for play doesn't add up anymore.

Just now, incognito_man said:

i'll also add that Davis (returns) and McCaffrey (slot potential) are much, much cheaper options and perhaps better value as well. I was a huge Cobb fan, but his pay for play doesn't add up anymore.

exactly.  So the issue now is can you squeeze actual value out of him, or do you just keep him as an overpaid guy who is still better than McCaffrey in a vacuum. 

Not sure that Joe Haden is value, but it's an equally bad contract at a different position which isn't as solidified.  That said, one injury to a WR and you're gonna want Cobb.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

exactly.  So the issue now is can you squeeze actual value out of him, or do you just keep him as an overpaid guy who is still better than McCaffrey in a vacuum. 

Not sure that Joe Haden is value, but it's an equally bad contract at a different position which isn't as solidified.  That said, one injury to a WR and you're gonna want Cobb.

Didn't we have that injury already and Cobb was of little use?  That was the turning point for me, concerning him.  And, if memory serves, Cobb wasn't all that healthy that year either.  But that's been his "usual" lately.  Nicked up.

I said it when he got that contract...he doesn't get half those yards without #12 as QB.  His yardage that year came on the broken plays.  He doesn't get his yards out of scheme much at all.  Put him on a different club with a less mobile QB and his stats would be worse than they were last year.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

If Jordy is going to play a lot more outside I think they are looking for the best option outside, but yeah I agree with it though.

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Didn't we have that injury already and Cobb was of little use?  That was the turning point for me, concerning him.  And, if memory serves, Cobb wasn't all that healthy that year either.  But that's been his "usual" lately.  Nicked up.

I said it when he got that contract...he doesn't get half those yards without #12 as QB.  His yardage that year came on the broken plays.  He doesn't get his yards out of scheme much at all.  Put him on a different club with a less mobile QB and his stats would be worse than they were last year.

he def had a rough year.  I think all said that might play out a bit differently now with Adams more confident if it were to happen again.  Both adams and cobb were banged up that year (though cobb is usually banged up) as well as losing Nelson.

5 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm assuming you're referring to releasing him at the end of the season, because quite frankly the ~$6M you save by releasing Randall Cobb really doesn't help.  If anything, it hurts the Packers ability to spread the wealth around.

5 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

When we don't have depth. Ted trade for depth.

When we do had depth. Ted trade our depth.

I'm being serious here. That's how it seems to go with some people.

Archived