Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

2 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Getting rid of Cobb this year would be foolish. After the top 3 WRs you have a bunch of young guys with pretty big question marks. Do you really want to risk seeing one of those guys as your #2 if Nelson or Adams gets dinged up? This is still a wide open passing offense and it needs the horses to run at WR. Trading Cobb would put us 1 injury away from a 2015 type scenario.  This team is going to go as far as the offense takes it and it's not worth risking the offense to pay for Haden.

just because it got paged and I think this is kind of an important point.

Just now, Pugger said:

I've read a lot of posts on various Packers' forums of folks wanting to trade Cobb away.  Why is this?  Just curious...

To me, it's several things. First of all, I don't "want" the Packers to trade Cobb. I like Cobb as a player and person and I would miss him for sure, but the right type of deal would make sense. Here's why Cobb is "expendable": 

1. We signed 2 TEs in the offseason and will be playing more 2 TE sets, and when we do that, assuming Adams and Nelson are healthy, Cobb and his contract will be sitting on the bench probably more than in years' past. 

2. Nelson is a better slot receiver than Cobb. 

3. Allison, Davis and the rookies are good enough to pick up the slack for losing Cobb. I mean we all talk about "opportunities" and young players needing "snaps" to improve right? Well, Allison and Davis get more snaps if Cobb is gone. 

4. Haden at his best is far more valuable than Cobb at his best. That's why a trade would make sense, even if we have to thrown in a mid-round pick as well. 

The money makes the Haden trade highly unlikely.

Now, if you trade Cobb, then it starts to work.

I think that Cobb's best years are behind him...and he's still young.  All he really has going for him now is his understanding of the offense and his relationship with Rodgers.  And...there's a lot to be said about those two qualities.

Why do you trade Cobb?  Because you can get better than him in the slot with Nelson and probably Adams.  You have a lot of young kids with upside down the depth chart.  If you like that upside, someone has to go.

Grabbing a good corner for him would be nice.  But...it ain't happening.

Best to just cross the fingers on Brooks.

Just now, spilltray said:

just because it got paged and I think this is kind of an important point.

I disagree that this team goes as far as our offense goes.  Favre, Rodgers, Brady, Manning... None of them win Super Bowls without top defenses, and all of them have won Super Bowls without top offenses. 

You mentioned 2015.  Even without Nelson, we scored 35 points against Washington and 20 points against the Cardinals. 

10 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Pack aren't taking on that kind of money. They been rolling cap money over year after year for a reason....and that's for when they give Rodgers the richest contract in NFL history within the next year

Fine, ruin my dream. Ha, anyways I just hope he goes to some other AFC team if he gets dealt. Don't need him going to a top NFC competitor. 

Just caught up on this thread.  Try to remember that Fackrell is in his second year.  There were plenty of people who wanted Adams gone after his second year.  Not to mention the things people wanted done with Randall and Rollins in their second years.  Fack seems to have become the whipping boy, so be it.  He's not the aggressive pass rushing demon people want to see, but he is a solid contributor on special teams. He also fits Capers 'disguise' defenses, Fack can turn and drop into coverage very well.  He holds the edge better than Elliot.  The kid still has all the physical attributes you look for, seems people expect more (because of his age?).

I still think there's a chance he steps up into his role because he has the tools.  Like someone mentioned that King plays tentative, that's what Fack looks like, disappointing since its his second year, but something that can develop as he becomes more comfortable in his assignments.  Becoming more decisive and disruptive- yes, I think that's still very possible.

Just now, Dubz41 said:

I still think there's a chance he steps up into his role because he has the tools.  Like someone mentioned that King plays tentative, that's what Fack looks like, disappointing since its his second year, but something that can develop as he becomes more comfortable in his assignments.  Becoming more decisive and disruptive- yes, I think that's still very possible.

With all the preaching I do on this with other players, I can't deny that there's a chance Fackrell comes around, but I feel like timidity at any point in a pass rusher's career is a bad sign for development.  I think he'd be a better option at ILB. 

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:08 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

There is no damn way in hell the Patriots should get equal value.  THEY are the ones who just lost somebody, and they have fleeced team after team with their trades.  If we trade Cobb AND picks for Butler, who has one year left on his deal, I'm rioting. 

Pats don't need a WR, I bet Hogan has a year like Jordy did for us last year.

They will just play less 3 WR sets and more 2 TE sets.

2 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Just caught up on this thread.  Try to remember that Fackrell is in his second year.  There were plenty of people who wanted Adams gone after his second year.  Not to mention the things people wanted done with Randall and Rollins in their second years.  Fack seems to have become the whipping boy, so be it.  He's not the aggressive pass rushing demon people want to see, but he is a solid contributor on special teams. He also fits Capers 'disguise' defenses, Fack can turn and drop into coverage very well.  He holds the edge better than Elliot.  The kid still has all the physical attributes you look for, seems people expect more (because of his age?).

He was also a old rookie, he's a year older than Adams.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't get it.  Did I say something bad about those players?  Do you think I'm pretty?  Why are you winking at me?

We had a heated Zach Brown debate earlier in off season, you defended Blake and Ryan as the ILB's of the future. etc...

Archived